Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Where in Central Ohio is my Craig Krenzel Matryoshka Doll? Week 2

Remy's picture
July 25, 2014 at 10:46am
13 Comments
Krenzel Doll

Where is my Craig Krenzel Matryoshka Doll?

Hint is below.

Remy's picture

After taking my kids and the Krenzel doll to COSI it was time to take in a movie. I could think of no better place than the art house I watched Trainspotting in 1996. To make the viewing experience even better this theater allowed my to drink brown bubbly while watching the film. 

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+2 HS
dbit's picture

Is that Indianola in Clintonville?

+1 HS
Remy's picture

No, but good guess.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Hovenaut's picture

2256 E Main St, Bexley, OH?

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Remy's picture

Was looking for the name of the theater, but the address will work as well. Good job Hove.

Anybody know the name of the movie theater?

After the movie we ate some pizza down the street at Rubino's.

Rubino's

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

The Radio Cafe sign was the clue I used, Remy, and just went with the address.

I've not been there, but is it the Drexel theater? Sounds like a cool place (especially to watch Trainspotting).

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Remy's picture

I highly recommend watching a movie at the Drexel:

The Drexel at night.

From cinematreasures.org:

The Drexel Theatre opened in the 1930’s and remained open until the 1970’s, when it closed.

Jeff Frank bought the Drexel Theatre and opened it as an art house in 1981, and it has remained open since then. It was a single screen theater when Frank bought it but was changed to a triplex in the early 1990’s.

The front section of the original auditorium still remains and still has the original Art Deco style decor. Drexel Theatres also manages the Arena Grand, a nine-plex just opened in downton Columbus. The Drexel Theatre hosts sci-fi and horror marathons every year, sci-fi usually in the spring, horror on Halloween weekend. The 2002 sci-fi marathon was held at the Arena Grand and was a big hit — the best ever.

Inside the Drexel

+3 HS
hodge's picture

The Drexel and Studio 35 are my two favorite theatres in Columbus.  I saw The Artist at the Drexel, and it was about the most perfect setting for a movie like that.  

It's a really beautiful pairing when you find the right theatre for the right kind of film.  For example, I saw This is Spinal Tap at Studio 35 before the (stunning) remodel, and the dinginess of the theatre really accentuated the feel of the '80s Rock n' Roll excess.  They also did a Founder's beer tasting before the movie, which was amazing.

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Unfortunately Jeff lost out on the Arena Grand contract a few years ago when Nationwide(who owned the theater up until a couple years ago) realized that he doesn't really have good controls in place to make a good profit in a theater, and changed the management of the theater to another company. Which stinks seeing that him and his wife are very nice people, but they have definitely been taken advantage of by shady managers over the years.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Remind me in the future , to leave my Craig Krenzel matryoshka doll at home when I tell the wife that I'm going "fishing".

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+3 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I WANT.....a Craig Krentzel Matryoshka doll!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Nice! I worked projection for Jeff Frank at the Drexels for a while. Ah man that takes me home.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS