Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Weight Lifting Supplements

BuckeyeNation_330's picture
February 26, 2014 at 3:49pm
38 Comments

Going back into the gym hard for the first time since my playing days about 8 years ago, any suggestions on supplements and or sites to order from.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

HotSauceCommittee's picture

ON's Gold Standard protein. Highly rated on most sites and one of the cheaper proteins on the market.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

I hear good things about deer antler spray.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+15 HS

I saw something about that on a site that was selling it, but all I know about it really is the Alabama O-Line loved it.  Do you have any other information on it?

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

Earle's picture

Joking, sorry.  I have no idea, but best of luck to you.

I figured as much, I'd prefer to not use HGH 

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

chitown buckeye's picture

@Earle-See what happens when u don't use italics

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+3 HS
Earle's picture

No disrespect to 330, but I refuse to take responsibility for those who would take me literally.

+7 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Wait, so you don't want those kids off your lawn?

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Holy Cow S. L. where did you find my pic?

hit_the_couch's picture

The real Jay Cutler, not that woman that plays for the Bears.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

SilverState's picture

Apparently MusclePharm tastes good/lots of people like it. I just grabbed some Amino1 yesterday (haven't tried anything else) and it has a good flavor.

+1 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Was just wondering about this myself. Does anyone have any experience with beta alanine? I've heard it does wonders but most things like that have side effects

+1 HS
JYBUCKEYE's picture

Eggology is a company that will ship frozen organic egg whites to your door.  If you can stomach chugging egg whites it's the best protein on the market.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I like mine fried, in a pan.

+2 HS
JYBUCKEYE's picture

Lol.  Yea me too.  This company was on an episode of "How it's made".  They went into the benefits of protein from egg whites, and even showed a body builder chugging it's product (pretty gross).  I drink the Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate.  It's cheap and taste pretty good.

+1 HS
HolyBuckeye1093's picture

If you have a Sams Club membership you can buy 5lb bags of Muscletech protein for $35. Each scoop is 20 g of protein and it's a 70 serving bag. That breaks down to $0.50 per scoop. Not too bad. The chocolate mixed with peanut butter is very good. Can be taken with either milk or water right after your workout. I would try that and see how your stomach handles that before adding anything more.

+2 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

My only pre-workout is a large, black coffee. All the caffeine I need, very few calories, and warms you up pretty well. When I was taking powders, I liked SuperPump Max. I will never take 1.M.R. again, even if they gave me a free supply for life.

As far as protein supplements/powders go: the worse it tastes, the better it is overall (less filler/sugar/crap)

+1 HS
Buckataltitude's picture

I agree with IH8UOFM. A nice black coffee is perfect for any workout!

Actually, I used his train of thought for protein powders. I always look for the ones with minimal ingredients.

+1 HS
BuckeyeBred's picture

I have never heard of coffee before a workout before.  Seeing as it's a vascular constrictor, I don't understand how it would help.  What is the scientific rationale?

OSUStu's picture

I have heard that coffee works for some people, but it makes me feel light-headed during workouts which ends up sapping my energy.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

mmounts's picture

Gold Standard for Protein by far- I prefer 100% casein for quick lunch workouts/meal replacement and 100% Whey for longer workouts

C4 is the best preworkout I've used in the past 6 months. 

Amazon is the best place for prices and if you have Prime free shipping is a nice bonus. 

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

You use exact same things I do. Fyi - Costco has 2 containers of c4 for 40. Normally 45 at GNC.

BassDropper's picture

Arnold Classic starts Friday. This is the weekend where I get my entire year worths of supplements for free. 

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

I've lost about 40 pounds in the past year going from 207 to 165.  More importantly my body fat went from 29% to 17%. Zero supplements.  I eat a lot of chicken, fish and veggies.  

Besides the mirror, I like to use the 300 workout as a fitness measuring tool.  It really is a good gauge for "am I getting stronger and faster?".  The first time I tried it over three years ago, it took me 76 minutes to finish, I can now do it in 23 minutes.  No supplements.  

I never set out to be huge or slender. I just want to be fit and around for my kids when they have kids.  I think the best way to get cut up is by doing it naturally.  I do resistance training on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday which includes 30 mins of vigorous resistance followed by some form of cardio (15 mins of interval training, burps, etc).  Wednesday is set aside for strictly cardio, which for me is running 4 miles in under 30 mins if I can swing it (some days I'm faster, some days I'm slower).  However, I try and do 3 sets of 10 pull ups every single workout.  

If you're trying to cut down on body fat, drink a gallon of water a day and really take time to analyze your diet.  Don't go on a diet, CHANGE your diet.  Everyone is different, some people process carbs better, some people process proteins better.  For me, I have to stay the heck away from processed sugars....it turns straight into belly fat.  

Of course I say all of this while hypocritically drinking a glass of Woodford Reserve....but I'm 773 calories under my daily calorie allotment according to my Lose-It App.  :)

Good luck man.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+7 HS
ScarletGray43157's picture

Out-Freaking-Standing One Bad Buckeye.  

The key words in your post are "in the past year".  Fitness is a long-term thing, a lifetime thing, and in my experience is best measured in yearly increments.  Props to you for saving lots of money by not using supplements.  

In old Ohio there's a team that's known throughout the land...

buckeyedude's picture

Wise words, One Bad. Most supplements are going to get pissed out of the urinary tract, anyway. I don't like the color. Too much like TTUN.

Buckeye Knight's picture

What are your goals?  Strength, weight loss, gain weight, or what?

General supplements I'd recommend are multi-vitamins and fish oil.  Other than that, depends what you want to do, if you have any deficiencies or other health issues to address, such as joint pain, etc.

NCBucks's picture

If you're trying to gain weight: I took the GNC Mass Gainer, and I must say that I did get bigger until it was all gone.. then I switched to Muscle Milk.. it's .. average I guess

Gain +/- lose weight: GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 Ripped .. This makes you shxt, but it helps you increase muscle size since it helped me get more heavier reps than usual .. while it helps burn fat at the same time.

Lose: Don't take anything. Just workout. Usually when you work out, you tend to be less hungry anyways

BuckeyeAZOH's picture

Methyl 1-d LG sciences is the best pro hormone I have taken. Took it in my single days along with some gold standard protein. Methyl 1-d is like 6 week cycles. I gained strength and size and wound up putting on 15 pounds with each cycle. I ate everything in site and did a ton a cardio so I didn't gain bad weight. I also ate a ton of protein mainly from chicken and fish and then a lot of pb&j and oatmeal. Lost very little gains when completely off.

Being married, I only used the protein from SAM'S club that was mentioned above.

Purple Raider

BuckeyeAZOH's picture

Forgot to say dpsnutrition.com is the best prices with set shipping cost no matter how much you order.

Purple Raider

BammBammRiley's picture

FinaFlex G8 before bed.
FinaFlex BCAA/SAA for your aminos before during and after workout. I really notice a difference with the silk amino acids.
VPX peanut butter and jelly protein bars. 0 impact sugars
Make sure just like 8 years ago you are taking the latest premium creatine.
I like VPX shotgun for a pre workout creatine/NO2/energy blast. The stuff gives results pure and simple

BammBamm is my dog, Riley is my 4 yr old daughter, and THE Ohio state Buckeyes complete the three most sacred loves I cherish

buckeyedude's picture

Mountain oysters. Take two with a glass of milk immediately after working out. Arnold swears by it.

northwoods buckeye's picture

Creatine is one of the few supplements that has consistent data showing that it works. Make sure that the label indicates that it is "creatine monohydrate"- the other creatine compounds are no more effective (no matter what the labels say) and have a higher molecular weight, meaning less actual creatine per gram. If you're just getting back into it, I'd wait until you hit a plateau before starting creatine... while it does help beginners, the research that has been done shows the most gain from people who have already been training (purely the $$$ perspective) and physiologically, a "slower" approach at the start gives tendons/ligaments/supporting muscle groups a chance to adapt to heavier loads.

Coffee works well for endurance athletes (was a banned substance in large amounts for the Olympics until 2008)- the caffeine helps to improve endurance by making more energy available from glycogen/fat metabolism. I'm not sure of research on lifting/power sports, but I can't live without the stuff.

Protein: If you live near a dairy, they often have unadulterated whey protein (unflavored/unsweetened) for sale at about half the price of the cheapest brands (I get mine for $6.50/lb)

Conan! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

hit_the_couch's picture

I don't drink coffee, but I drink a cup of green tea before I work out and have been consistently shaving time of my 3 miles. 2 or 3 weeks ago I was at about 21:40 and hit 20:35 today. Not bad for being slightly on the wrong side of 30. I think I believe the caffeine thing.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

hit_the_couch's picture

Don't take anything; supplements are a waste of time and have not been proven to work. I think creatine might have research supporting it, but that's all. Just follow a good diet found in a fitness mag or internet search.

If i'm not mistaken, there was a medical journal article stating that the male body can't use more than 50 grams of protein at one time and more than 140 grams in one day. I don't think there's a need to binge on protein. I never have and before I developed GI issues, I was pretty built. Now i'm just in killer shape and weigh about 180 (i'm 5'8" btw).

Johnny Ginter's picture

im lactose intolerant so i use protein isolate from dymatize, which i like a lot. i agree that too much protein probably doesn't help a lot (and could even lead to kidney stones), but according to my broscience degree i think one gram per pound of lean bodyweight is still useable. 140 grams of protein is still about two and half times the recommended daily allowance, so supplementing probably isn't a bad idea as long as you're actually needing it because of regular exercise.

i also use creatine, which has about fifty conflicting studies as to its effectiveness. but it is proven safe and is pretty cheap so whatever. ill take the 5 grams a day and pretend its maxing out my bench