Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Alpo's picture

Damn what a shame. Lost a talented guy right there, rest in peace Harold.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

"Get Her!"  RIP Harold.  Maybe GB sequel can have you come back to help the Boys save NY again.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Oh man.   Major Bummer. 

Thoughts and prayer to his family.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Wow, didn't see that coming. :(

+1 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

here's hoping he's achieving total consciousness. he's got that going for him, which is nice.

RIP to one of the greatest.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+8 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

His film credits are unbelievable.  Classic after classic.

What a legend.

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Wow - way too young. Thanks for the many, many laughs.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Man, and I just watched Stripes last night.....

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

A lot of his older stuff doesn't really hold up for me (I agree with Nathan Rabin that Stripes just barely skates by on Bill Murray's charisma alone), but Groundhog Day is a perfect film. R.I.P.

-4 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

are you serious? Caddy Shack, Meatballs, ANIMAL HOUSE, back to school!!!!

he is credited with some of the best comedies of all time! and I am leaving out Stripes and Analyze This/That.

The fact that he was a writer for SCTV puts him in the hall of fame of comedians!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+12 HS

National Lampoon's Vacation

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

Caddyshack is good but extremely overrated by men of a certain age. Meatballs is a bad film that is being propped up entirely by Bill Murray. Stripes is a mediocre film being propped up almost entirely by Bill Murray. Animal House is one of my favorite comedies of all-time. How one feels about Back to School is almost entirely determined by how one feels about Rodney Dangerfield. I find him 'meh,' but comedy is, you know, subjective.

Harold Ramis was a treasure and one of the most influential comedic writers of the last forty years. He wrote and directed my favorite film of all-time. I just find quite a bit of his early stuff to be overrated (albeit, as I said, influential). Doesn't make me like the man any less, nor does it keep me from acknowledging some of the truly awesome things he did.

-4 HS

dare I ask how old you are because "men of a certain age" know why Meatballs is so funny (that was summer camp in the 80's), Stripes is ridiculously funny because in the 80's they took in slobs of men who didn't belong in the military and it was pretty much just like that in boot camp (only not as funny really, more like Full Metal Jacket).

Caddy Shack is considered one of the all-time sports movies and comedies as well. You must miss Brian-Doyle and anything he says in that movie, the first and ONLY interaction of Chevy Chase and Bill Murray in a movie (that scene wasn't even scripted. The writers decided to put it in there and let them ad lib because they realized they had two of the biggest comedians and not one scene with them both in it). Ted Knight is probably the best straight man in the business! His fake eliticism makes fun of every golf elitist-country club president that is still true to this day.

sorry if we worship 1980's comedies but Harold Ramis wrote 1980's comedies. I don't expect fans of Kevin Hart to understand what it was like in the 80's and how true any of those movies were. True Back to School isn't comedy gold but all of the others are on the list of all-time 80's comedies!

+12 HS
Doc's picture

Boom!  Nailed it!

"Say my name."

+1 HS

To be honest Stripes was really a commentary on the post-Vietnam Army of the 70's. The rediscovery of it's identity during the Reagan years was a pretty different animal in my experience.

Back to School was far from perfect but by god it featured Sam Kinison's finest silver screen moment.

+2 HS
Doc's picture

"He's passionate.  About what I don't know?"

Back to School was funny.  I'm still trying to perfect my Triple Lindy.

"Say my name."

+2 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Thank you Mr helper!

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

People who were in the target demographic for Meatballs and Caddshack when they were released vastly overrate both films, because they both essentially redefined what comedy could do on the big screen. I don't find them as funny as people who saw them at the time did/do (and in the case of Meatballs, I find it barely funny at all), but I recognize that the redefinition occurred. And that's why I said that early work was hugely influential, even if it doesn't really hold up for me.

No, I don't miss the things Brian Doyle-Murray (who actually wrote the film; Ramis directed) is doing in Caddyshack. I find him quite funny in it. Ted Knight is legitimately outstanding (and if you think that's a "straight man" performance he's giving, you're crazy). It's a funny movie; it's just not as good as the dudes who were 15-35 when it came out claim that it is.

And resorting to what is clearly supposed to be a personal insult ("I don't expect fans of Kevin Hart to understand...") is an odd choice in a discussion about the pluses and minuses of a Hollywood legend. But to each his own, I guess.

-1 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

i was negative four years old when caddyshack came out and it is my favorite movie of all time.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+3 HS
Devin1024's picture

As was I. And while Caddyshack isn't my all time favorite movie, that belongs to Ghostbusters, it is easily in the top ten.

No, the Kevin Hart comment wasn't an insult at you. Sorry if you did take it that way, just pointing out that many who think Kevin Hart is the funniest ever now really don't know the past comedy greats that I think Harold Ramis belongs with. (and I used Kevin Hart because over the past year I keep hearing how great he is at comedy, and I do like him but he is no Richard Pryor).

Some might overblow CaddyShack but some underrate it too! I could have sworn Ramis co-wrote with Brian but I could be wrong. They both were very influential to the movie is what I do know.

and Ted Knight IS the straight man, you don't know what a straight man is if you think he ISN'T.

When his comedy partner behaves eccentrically, the straight man's response ranges from aplomb to outrage, or from patience to frustration. He makes his partner look all the more ridiculous by being completely serious. He will often also be found in sitcoms.

I can't find the clip but everytime he talks with Chevy Chase, Chevy is being sarcastic as hell and Ted is missing it all. Now many times Ted Knight is outlandish and funny himself but his best scenes are with Rodney and Chevy being complete joksters and he has to keep it straight and serious.

and in regards to timeframe movies, yeah many who weren't born or lived during the 80's wouldn't think Ramis's work is very funny. Hell, when I was 10 my favorite movie was Farris Buehler's Day Off. That wouldn't appeal to kids who are 10 now.

+2 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

"Caddyshack is overrated"  

That's the funniest thing I've heard since the last time I watched Caddyshack.

+6 HS

You're just biased because you're in the wrong age demographic.

+1 HS
bedheadjc's picture

I think Ted Knight's effort in Caddyshack is the greatest sustained male comedic film performance of all time.

Yes, I know what I am saying. (Keaton, Chaplin, Lewis, Marx, Carrey, Pryor, Wilder, etc, included)

+2 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

I recently saw Meatballs and you are correct...it doesn't hold up...BUT AT THE TIME, it was an awesome movie...which really is what it should be judged on...looking back at a lot of movies from my youth, I am reminded that they just aren't as funny anymore...except Blazing Saddles....

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Blazing Saddles is an incredible film.

Fun fact: Slim Pickens wasn't Mel Brooks's first choice for the role of Taggart.  He wrote the role for, and first offered it to, John Wayne.   Wayne took one look at the script and said that while his image would never sustain such a performance, he'd "Be the first in line to see it."

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'll join SquirrelMaster in the loyal opposition here and say that Stripes was awesome. I love that film.

In other news:

+5 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

That's the fact, Jack!

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+5 HS

Periodically I entertain the idea of picking up a GMC motorhome & painting it to match the EM-50.

+2 HS
Doc's picture

I have neighbors that have a GMC motorhome just like that one.  It's brown and not green, but damn close.

"Say my name."

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

What a great and hilarious writer, director, and actor.  He will be missed.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+2 HS
mobboss1984's picture

That sucks! RIP to a great actor

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+3 HS
CCatanzaro's picture

I was floored by this as well.  What an unbelievable talent.  RIP!

Dairy-fed intellect and pure, unhinged sass.

+2 HS
Jangs78's picture

Comedic Legend!  R.I.P Harold

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Let us all cross our streams in tribute:

+8 HS
Devin1024's picture

Just watched Ghostbusters, my favorite movie of all time, on Saturday.  Harold Ramis had a hand in so many of my favorite movies.  He will be deeply missed.  We lost a legend today.  

+5 HS
Jason Gruber's picture

By far his best work was keeping all the stoners on task long enough to make Caddyshack. Cult classic film. But, then again, cult classic films are all Harold knew how to make. RIP Egan!!! 

"You win with People" Woody Hayes

+4 HS

its definitely the most underrated part of the movie, every major actor was these huge comedians who were living it up in south florida getting wasted every night.

-1 HS
Kid Gloves's picture

Good Ol Carl Spangler

+1 HS
NC_Buckeye's picture

Sweet moment from Knocked Up where Harold Ramis as father is trying to comfort his son, Seth Rogen. I like to think that's how Ramis was in real life.

+4 HS

probably the only real funny scene in that movie. I know there were some, vegas trip was pretty good, but in general the movie sucked.

I did forget about that scene though. Funny as hell.

-1 HS
lamplighter's picture

RIP Harold - you gave us a lot of laughs along the way

Caddyshack was awesome  - and I am the demographic (a certain age I guess)

+2 HS
lvccacamcrca's picture

Actor, Writer, Director...................will be sorely missed................sympathies to his Family. I hope in this time of grief they can still realize how much laughter he brought into the world.

+2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Caddyshack, Stripes, Animal House, Groundhog Day...

man, what a talented guy.

He brought a lot of joy to peoples' lives via his comedy. R.I.P. Harold Ramis

+1 HS
Big D's picture

The first R movie I remember seeing in the theater was Stripes. I was 9. Guess my mom wasn't looking for any Parent of The Year awards in 1982. My 2 favorite Ramis parts:

[when Russell is teaching English class]

Russell Ziskey: Okay, I know you're anxious to jump right in and start speaking English, but there's a couple of things I need to know first, because I've never done this before. So, how many of you would say you speak English fairly well, but with some difficulties?

[pause]

Russell Ziskey: A little English?

[a man raises his hand]

Russell Ziskey: Yes? You speak some English?

Man learning English: Son of bitch. Shit.

Class: [in unison] Son of bitch. Shit.

And #2:

John Winger: C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.

Russell Ziskey: Well I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it!

RIP..........

+5 HS
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater's picture

Too funny, I am pretty sure this was my first R rated movie in a theatre as well, went with my older bother and cousin, and my parents obviously weren't paying attention/didn't care that it was rated R.   The shower scene with John Larroquette spying on the showering women is still one of my favorite nude scenes ever.   Ahhh, boobie nostalgia.....

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Wishing the family the best in these tough times

+3 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

I have all the movies mentioned above. I think I will invite my Brothers and buddies over for a Harold Ramis film festival this weekend. I think I'll serve pizza, snacks, beer and some of what Ty and Carl were smoking, so we all can achieve Total Consciousness.  

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

People forget about Analyze This/That was Ramis too. He did so many great movies and such a range. So good. He will be missed.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater's picture

This really bummed me out.   The guy had a hand in so many great movies that many of us quote from on an almost daily basis.  RIP you lovable genius.

+2 HS
dc28's picture

Caddyshack is one of my top 10 movies of all time and Stripes is one of my top 10 movies of all time. I have Harold to thank for this. The guy was great. The world just lost one of the best.

+2 HS
doodah_man's picture

As you gravitate to Caddyshack, don't forget Groundhog Day. A totally innovative story that has been the focus of many religious groups discussing its themes of redemption, rebirth, spiritual transcendence...etc. This is my go to movie every Februray 2.

Jim "DooDah" Day
It is hard to play dirty against a man who picks you up.

+3 HS
Crumb's picture

"Doe! Ray! Egon!!"

"Your mother!"

The man was a master of comedy.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Bill Murray is a huge class act. Gave a shout out to Harold Ramis at the Oscars when he presented for cinematography. 

Some of the best movies ever were written, starred, and made by Harold Ramis. 

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+1 HS