I would love to see all the other state universities in Ohio create “ AN” Ohio state university labels under their university signs just to piss Ohio state admin off. .
To make things more unnecessarily complex, I would like to see 3 different polls. I’m basing this on something I think I read in the sporting news years ago, they did their poll based who would win the national title, not just the best team. So schedule was factored in.
The three polls I would like to see are
1. Best team. Who would really have the best chance to beat everyone else on a neutral field. Defector win-loss. The illusion of being undefeated in college football masks quality of schedule and where and when you play your opponents, as well as injuries, and development of a team over the course of a season. Not saying the team at the top of this list deserves a title, but a true power ranking is informative.
2. The earned rankings. Defactor the name on the jersey. Rank the teams based on what they did on the fields. Allow smart humans to program computers to come up with a very good algorithm. Once that ranking is produced. Allow a committee of humans to adjust rankings using a consensus discussion versus individual polling with averaging.
3. The Vegas ranking. Who really has the best shot to win the title, a lot of intangibles and historical perception will be included (valid or not) that happens in all of the polls now But, this really factors in schedule and perception, and is probably what is really happening every year.
If I were prognosticating college football to “guess” who would have good seasons, I would look at the following criteria in this order :
1. Coaching from head coach down to position coaches And continuity would be a big factor
2. Qb, this is the most impt position and I wouldn’t just look at who the top qbs are, but which qb fits the system, can lead, and his heart and soul of team This can over come a lot of other deficiencies on a team And a qb with obvious deficiencies can make the rest of a team look worse than it is
3. Overall team talent and experience (1-44) how does the 2 deep look
4. Defensive line - these guys can make good opponents look bad
5. O-line, 10 years ago I would have flipped d and o. But with more passing the d line is more impt for disrupting
6. Schedule Who you play and when you play them
So “fanny” pack. The British definition of that word is not the same as the American one. I guess it depends if you wear it in the front of the back
remember when michigan decided to put a basketball player on their football jerseys?
As someone mentioned. Bush got hurt during our game and it did hurt their defense. He’s good imho ...
didn’t we just hire the two coaches responsible for Bush’s and Gary’s respective positions for those saying players development is an issue?
CB Rambos... You might like the movie ...joyride.
Yeah, but it is kind of fun to go back and try to figure out which part the article could have set off the rant... I upvoted him for the pure entertainment value it has provided me going through the excercise.
We lost the offensive coach responsible for Cardale’success. That was the difference for Cardale, and was predicted by many before the season.
I’m sure it was just coach speak when he said it, or At least I hope it was. But after last spring he said he was agonizing over which qb to play. Haskins or Martel.
Spin it how you want. Urban had some blind spots. Just like everyone else. He just has less imho.
I wish I could up-vote this a lot more. It always cracks me up when people criticize someone during an interview(unless you are trained in public speaking, it is not an easy thing to do without lots of practice).
I thank Jesus (literally) for the people who are native French, Russian, Bulgarian, Indian, Japanese, German, Romanian and Hebrew speakers, who have patiently helped me through some of my attempts at speaking their language...
In some of those cases, I might not be here (literally) without there help. I love learning new languages. It is one thing practicing it; it is quite another doing it face to face when you really need something, or need help.
1. are we talking about practice? practice?
I am pretty sure he is an expert in "no class"... so he might really know...
I absolutely love this...
i completely underestimated Kalebs ability to transition from high school to college Becuase of weight issues. He proved me wrong and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed his high level of basketball skill. There are very few college players with his basketball skill. His athleticism is sub par for a college player though, or he would be a legit nba draft pick this year.
So why do I love this, there are some things about Kaleb that won’t change, and I refer to them above. That is what it is. But there are some things that he could really improve on. I’m saying this directed at him on his personal journey in basketball, he is already the best basketball player on this team and it’s not close or even debatable.
1. Weight and getting in even better shape. To me that will be the feedback he gets first and most often. He did a great job from high school to college. Maybe this feedback from the Pros motivates him to do more.
2. Related to 1 more than likely. His fouls are not because of bad technique, he has a high basketball IQ. However when he gets tired his IQ and skill diminish quickly making him commit lazy fouls. Coaches did a better job later in the year giving him more rest to avoid this.
3. Now. He is my favorite player. I thoroughly appreciate how much he does for this team that most people don’t even realize. But! But! I have noticed a tendency for some cheap shots similar to a bill laimbeer, you get away with most of them, but once you get the reputation, it costs you at critical times. I absolutely belive he was at least 3rd team all big ten, but the suspension and some of his on court elbows don’t make him a likeable guy for media and coaches.
If he can address those issues. I think he his first team all big ten next year. I did predict that this year. So I guess take it with a grain of salt.
He is one of the most underrated players we have ever had. I will appreciate him greatly for the next 2 years.
That said, stay clean and make that transition to upper classman leader and role model. Get in better shape(it’s notnlike he was lazy, he literally has worked his ass off, or this tream would not have been in the ncaa).
Just think... some of those twitter "buckeye" fans post on here...
I don't tweet.. so I'm having to "assume" people didn't like Jt and Cardale wearing Texas gear...
This won't go over here well.. but... Just like it isn't hard for them to slide Texas gear on ... it isn't hard for some of our "fans" to just slide on an Ohio State shirt or hat then call themselves a buckeye...
I'm that a-hole that likes to remind some of those "fans".. they aren't really fans... because the most recent band-wagoners, always seem to be the loudest and most obnoxious to everyone else...(and that is the same for every team in every sport)....
I agree, but there is never really a great period of time, to use an analogy like " if rape is inevitable, then lie back and enjoy it.."... Most people through out history know that is way out of bounds..
Very nice article, thank you.
I really enjoy watching Holtman's teams... but I would like to see him emphasize better passing angles, and stronger passing.. Entry passing to the post was good until Houston, so that might not be an issue, just something Houston forced some issues.
It also seems, defenses sit on the passing lanes when we run the weave at the top of the key... We seem to pass the ball just assuming our guy will get it... by the end of the year I would tense up waiting for the defense to jump the pass...
Im a big Musa Jallow fan... but he looks lost on some of his passes...
I didn't check FT numbers... but it sure feels like we have made major improvements in that area... and I am grateful...
I get that “a lot” of our fan base are “football only” fans... but comments like some of the fan base being indifferent to the basketball team being in the ncaa tournament irks me to the point ...
...to remind some of our fans that having a chance to win the tournament is not the only aspect of enjoyment for the tournament...
...Becuase if I applied that logic to football... since we had zero chance to win the national title by playing in the rose bowl... we should have been indifferent to any bowl game not in the playoff.
We are an underdog for a good reason, we earned it; but I would be nervous as hell if I was ISU or Houston. If I was ISU coaching staff I would be figuring out ways to get fouls on kaleb early or they are going to have their hands full.
Woods, You wanted the chance to dance... time to play like Indiana game(with fewer mistakes, you are the leader now, dance like it!)
Not talking about just one game.
Coach has worked miracles with a depleted roster caused by recruiting being hampered.
I take exception being told to relax, when you didn’t really ready or understand the comment
I agree, but Gene Smith has some responsibility in this, he did not handle the Thad Matta transition very well at all, too many people are giving him a pass.
He waited a year too long on Matta, which hurt recruiting and I personally believe Mattas legacy (not saying Matta would have went quietly, but Goodnleaders make tough decisions). Gene waited and waited hoping to avoid action.
Gene fires Matta at a time that made no sense and left us scrambling for a coach(I like Holtman but hard to judge him, his best success was with a player that fell into his lap, and his worst lissues I lay at Genes feet due to recruiting issues caused by the timing of the transition). I personally think Holtman did a very good, not quite great, job this year.
It wont be a popular take, but I haven’t seen much of this mentioned since the initial transition when several of us talked about impacts to recruiting because of timing.
I personally feel like Gene could have added more voacal support for this team at the beginning of and throughout the year. How... just little quotes here and there, which is not asking for a lot. But it would show me he is aware he is a big part of the situation and not just on the outside looking in(as if hiring the coach was his only role).
I’m not going to be too upset at the basketball coach or the team when they were dealt this hand at the beginning of the season, and the Kaleb Wesson situation exasperated something we all feared Becuase of a depleted, patch work roster.
Just have to play and coach through it... hopefully with the support and understanding of the fans as well as AD who can at least add some accountable lip service.
... thiose cheating m ... fer refs... sorry too soon?
Literally... she was kicked out of a game too..
No one has gone back into the Bo Ryan Archives.. to tell Fran "..Deal with it.."...
I have disliked Fran well before last night... but in fairness...Iowa has been coming back from double digit deficits late in games for the last 4-5 games... So the twenty point issue doesn't really apply IMHO ... At the time of his son's technical.. the game was right where Iowa is comforatable in coming back.. around 13 down with 4 to go...
The foul on his son, was a legit and obvious foul (He reached, and it was bad fundamental defense, really bad)... So his son 100 percent deserved a technical for complaining...
I will also say, I was thinking some of the same things Mcaffrey did about the refs... just in the first half... I really felt like the Refs, gave Iowa some home court like calls, on our home court...