To make things more unnecessarily complex, I would like to see 3 different polls. I’m basing this on something I think I read in the sporting news years ago, they did their poll based who would win the national title, not just the best team. So schedule was factored in.
The three polls I would like to see are
1. Best team. Who would really have the best chance to beat everyone else on a neutral field. Defector win-loss. The illusion of being undefeated in college football masks quality of schedule and where and when you play your opponents, as well as injuries, and development of a team over the course of a season. Not saying the team at the top of this list deserves a title, but a true power ranking is informative.
2. The earned rankings. Defactor the name on the jersey. Rank the teams based on what they did on the fields. Allow smart humans to program computers to come up with a very good algorithm. Once that ranking is produced. Allow a committee of humans to adjust rankings using a consensus discussion versus individual polling with averaging.
3. The Vegas ranking. Who really has the best shot to win the title, a lot of intangibles and historical perception will be included (valid or not) that happens in all of the polls now But, this really factors in schedule and perception, and is probably what is really happening every year.
If I were prognosticating college football to “guess” who would have good seasons, I would look at the following criteria in this order :
1. Coaching from head coach down to position coaches And continuity would be a big factor
2. Qb, this is the most impt position and I wouldn’t just look at who the top qbs are, but which qb fits the system, can lead, and his heart and soul of team This can over come a lot of other deficiencies on a team And a qb with obvious deficiencies can make the rest of a team look worse than it is
3. Overall team talent and experience (1-44) how does the 2 deep look
4. Defensive line - these guys can make good opponents look bad
5. O-line, 10 years ago I would have flipped d and o. But with more passing the d line is more impt for disrupting
6. Schedule Who you play and when you play them