It's more like, how in the f*** does Clemson get three first round draft picks to play together for 3 years! Kept them through their friggin senior years!. Not even discussing howOSU would never have a star not leave early, but we can't even have one star defensive stud play for a full season!
Obviously this is all self-pity but it seriously does seem like Clemson/Bama never have these things happen. And why now, when OSU comes out as #1 in the CFP and the heisman hype train gets rolling for Chase.
1. OSU's alternate uniforms have been mostly "get out of my face with those". Throw in a an alt. jersey--fine. But the grey/white/black with camo socks that bare no resemblance to OSU's actual colors - hard pass from me.
2. Tressel's program was trending downwards from about 2007 and beyond. Seemed like he wasn't recruiting out of Ohio enough, but also those teams seemed to get physically embarrassed against any team known for being physical, i.e. LSU, Florida, USC, whichever year Wisky had John Clay truck sticking OSU's entire defense.
3. Meyer lost his edge and to quote Mike Tomlin "his arrow was pointing down". Loved when he came here but enough with the loyalty and refusal to fix glaring issues year after year after year.
4. I can't stand white shoes in football. Black shoes need to come back at OSU, or at least red shoes - something with color. White shoes with white socks looks like a dallas cowboy's cheerleader. Black shoes look like a football player.
5. I wish OSU was more like Alabama - Staunch defense, physical running game, physically intimidating, fundamentally sound, disciplined. Most importantly, black shoes.
I would argue the program was creeping downward with meyer. Not because of lack of talent, but because urban put too much focus on this being and NFL stepping stone. Seems like he lost his passion to win at all costs, letting loyalties trump doing what is require to win, and what elite coaches like Saban and Dabo would never do. It also seems like the Xs and Os have passed him by, when is the last time besides Michigan this year that Meyer outcoached someone? He brings in elite talent then they either ride the pine for 2 - 3 years or can't seem to live up to it when they do play? Clemson and Bama bring in 5 stars and they play and make impacts. I think Meyer was able to recruit so well by selling OSU as an NFL factory. Then when the players got here, maybe the focus was just on the NFL and that's why the development could have been better, and why people were bolting to it the first chance they get while Clemson holds on to that NFL D-line for 4 years.
Can we just go back to black cleats? That with 2014 playoff unis. would be all that's needed. Never been a fan of white socks on white cleats...looks too much like cowboy boots or something.
Most of the past national champs and playoff contenders were anchored by dual threat QBs (Cam Newton, Jamies Winston, JTB/Cardale, Watson, Hurts/Tua, Mayfield/Murray.) Only Bama has been able to do it with immobile pocket passers who were more just game managers. I'm sure Baldwin has an amazing arm and all that, but I just find it funny those who have fully jumped on that bandwagon without having seen him take a snap at OSU. I'll take a dual-threat over a WVU/Oklahoma State style pocket passer any day of the week and twice on sunday. I would be pumped if Fields comes to OSU and I believe if he does he is 100% the starter.
100% agree. Huge expectations coming into that year, which quickly fizzled game one when we struggled against Buffalo. Terrible defense and an offense that was basically Braxton Miller. Michigan game was putrid. Soft white uniforms with zero defense. Was like watching 7 on 7.
Most memorable games for me are the ones that go down to the wire...have me on the edge of my seat, where I feel OSU has a chance but no idea if they will pull it off. Blow outs are great but for entertainment purposes, the close games against top 10 opponents are always way more exhilarating and for that, entertaining and memorable.
1. Alabama. (Also most meaningful in the UM era as it brought elite status to OSU). No win gave us more cre
2. Michigan 2016. Thought this was better than 06 Michigan because of expectations. In 06, OSU was basically crowned NC before the season began. A win was expected where in 2016, Michigan's vaunted defense and OSU's lack of offense meant points were at an extreme premium. A FG almost felt like it would put the game out of reach. A rollercoaster of emotions all the way through the second overtime. Can't get better than that.
3. PSU 2017. What a ride that game was. Felt like we were in it but kept digging ourselves in a hole everytime we inched closer. I remember exactly how I felt at different points in the game. Even remember which beers I drank during it. Another emotional rollercoaster. That video is goosebumps city everytime.
4. 15 Michigan. Went into that game nervous as I have ever been after the MSU debacle a week before. The way the offense went back to the 14' NC run form was so much fun to watch. There is nothing like beating a team into submission with stout defense and smash mouth running. A huge sigh of relief was breathed after that game.
5. 2016 oklahoma. Thought this would be a rebuilding year. Crushing oklahoma on the road in primetime after the NC in 14 and the historically talented 2015 season, it looked like UM had truly transformed OSU into an Alabama type program. I remember reading an article after the game talking about how Meyer had turned OSU into the "Alabama of the north".
6-10. PSU 2018, Michigan 2018, Oregon 2014, Wisconsin 2014, MSU 2014 in no particular order.