You're not gonna be happy. Rutgers is in our division, so we will be playing them unless that game somehow gets cancelled due to an outbreak.
I can't decide if this person is truly a Clemson fan, or just someone posing as one. Either way, keep up the good trolling work.
Yep, I really don't get why they're starting on October 24th. I'll absolutely take it, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
My only thought was that they were delaying by a week since Wisconsin had just shut down practice recently. I believe Maryland has started practicing again, and Penn State had a shutdown of some sports, but I don't believe football was one of them.
It's so silly that they preached so much about flexibility when the initial schedule was released in August, but then ignored flexibility completely this time around when it's needed most.
When they're evaluating teams, yes, he would have to recuse himself. But he would get input when deciding whether the Big Ten could be eligible, wouldn't he?
Parsons is back in? Hadn't seen anything about that.
Freiermuth is the TE. Gesicki is in the NFL.
This kind of outlines the governance of the CFP. I'll admit, I did not truly know it worked that way.
It helps that Iowa's AD is the current chair. I doubt if we have anything to worry about. Just win and it'll all take care of itself.
The guidelines that have been put in place might be attainable with rapid, daily testing. However, they're insanely strict with very little wiggle room. Each of these teams is going to have to be extremely careful.
The thing that bothers me is that we now have decided to play football on September 16th. We could have originally delayed until September 26th in line with the SEC and then we wouldn't be losing an entire month of time, which eliminates all the flexibility that was originally built into the schedule to deal with any issues that may arise. The whole season now has to be damn near perfect because these people couldn't put in the effort up front.
Believe me, I'm damn glad that we have the chance to at least try to have a season, but there is basically zero margin for error now due to the ineptitude of Warren and the presidents, and the protocols that they have put in place are nearly impossible to meet. We'll see how it goes though.
Been thinking this all day too. Obviously glad to have football back, and will remain optimistic now that we have a shot to attain all our goals, but things are gonna have to be damn near perfect to pull this off.
Am I understanding this correctly? Programs in California haven't been practicing, yet they could have been? No one bothered to clarify the rules? And here I thought the Big Ten was inept.
We absolutely should be playing sooner, at least in my opinion.
However, the season overall will end at the exact same time that it would have originally. The weather is not more of a factor now than it would have been. Like two additional weeks outside in the elements won't be much of an issue.
I mean, I will obviously take it and be happy that football is back.
However, it's questionable to pick an October 24th start date, especially when you're fully capable of playing a week earlier than that. This has to be about some of the teams shutting down practice recently.
Randy basically said that the family didn't want Shaun to return to college this year, but Shaun wanted to play for a national title and improve his stock. Now, the family wants him to wait, but Shaun is ready to move on.
Hopefully he reconsiders today.
"Let's bring football back, but let's wait until October 24th to play just so there's a chance we can't play in the CFP."
What in the hell is wrong with these people?!? There might still be a path to the CFP, especially if there are no bye weeks, but it's beyond moronic to wait until October 24th. Just amazing.
Several different threads about player opt outs, but I figured this might be the best place to post it.
Randy Wade has said that Shaun plans to sign with an agent this evening. I know some insiders, including Bill Greene, are confident that Shaun would opt back in if an October season happens. However, if there isn't an announcement from the Big Ten soon, it looks like that won't happen, unfortunately. Randy starts talking about it around the 14 minute mark.
This. No matter when you were going to play football, you needed to be working on a deal for these tests, especially when rapid, cheaper testing was starting to become available. The fact the Big Ten has not finalized a deal with some pharmaceutical or biomedical company over the last couple weeks is astonishing.
They've finally reviewed all the health and safety protocols and feel they're sufficient. They have gotten past all the long-term health risks, at least enough to move forward. They have enough schools in favor of playing. They have made a new schedule. Ready to announce the return of the season. Oh, wait. We forgot to procure the tests - only the most important freaking part.
Not having their ducks in a row the last time is the understatement of the year.
They're probably holding off just to spite him.
We've been hearing the last few days how pissed off Warren and the presidents are for all the pressure from coaches, players, media, etc. How dare the Nebraska president let this news out! This whole thing is a complete and utter clown show.
They're really gonna sit on this another day. Not really surprised, but come on. What the hell are we doing here?!? This has to be intentional.
Let's hope that Shaun Wade holds off another day before signing with an agent.
Seriously. Make a damn announcement that you are playing. Figure out any additional details throughout the rest of the week. Stop screwing with these coaches and players!
I mean, they could absolutely release that right this second and say that they're working out the scheduling details, etc. throughout the rest of the week. But no, that would be too easy. Gotta release it all at once...and keep the coaches and players in the dark so maybe a few more will opt out.
I understand that there are many different things to consider and the overall issue is a complicated one. But, this proves that Warren and these presidents didn't do jack shit from March until August 11th. If they had done anything, anything at all, to actually prepare for a season, most of what they're apparently doing right now would be in place and ready to go. Sure, a few things have changed, you have new testing available, and you've had a chance to better analyze the health concerns. But the logistics of safety protocols, scheduling, TV deals, etc. should have been mostly completed long, long ago. The fact that they're just letting potential weeks of a football season melt away due to their incompetence just pisses me off to no end.
All of that said, I am really starting to suspect that some of this isn't just sheer incompetence. It's beginning to seem blatantly intentional that they're dragging this out on purpose. And if the rumors of Warren now advocating for aligning with the PAC-12 are true, then it just sickens me. This guy was pushing Spring football without having a plan for Spring football, and now he wants to align with a conference where teams literally aren't allowed to practice right now due to state rulings related to the pandemic?
I have been hopeful for an October season the last few days. I hope we get that, and I hope that Davis and Wade somehow opt back in and we're ready to play ball. At this point, though, I am fully expecting that we will see a 2020 Ohio State team that is a shell of what it would have been had its conference stayed the course and actually prepared for a season that began in September. I will be bitter about this forever.
The complete lack of urgency that has been displayed over the last couple weeks is just ridiculous. I know that a thorough presentation was needed, but here we are again with the back and forth. We can't decide what date we want to start, we don't know what teams want to play.
Are you in or out? This is when we're playing. Show up. The end.
If they want to start on October 10th, then do it. Reinstate the season today, let teams start practicing with pads, and go! The only reason that date might now be off the table is because they have been dragging their feet for like two weeks.
And if teams don't want to play, then let them opt out. How many times do we have to do this? Get the teams that want to play, set up a damn schedule, and play!