I don't know, but here are the facts:
1. Someone turned in Chase Young (most likely someone who is close to him or his family and would have knowledge of the violation).
2. He was turned in right before the Maryland game.
3. Chase Young is from Maryland and has close ties to coaches and players at Maryland.
4. Joel Klatt and Gus Johnson openly bantered (on a national broadcast) about the possibility someone from Maryland turned him in.
5. Our own Ramzy tweeted speculation about it during the game.
6. On Bucknuts Sunday podcast Matt Baxendale reported OSU players were caught on camera telling Keandre Jones they ran it up because they thought Maryland snitched.
7. Maryland's top in-state recruit from CYs high school decommitted at halftime.
Seems plausible that Maryland staff sat on the info and used it to get CY out for the game. Sure they got destroyed but maybe they figured it was their best chance to win the game or at least keep it close (which they desperately - as a staff- need. I am sure they are feeling a lot of heat right now). Perhaps they thought it wouldn't hurt Chase to miss a couple games and it would benefit them. I wouldn't kill the OP for posing the question.