Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Arizona Diamondbacks Latest to Hold City Hostage for New Stadium

+5 HS
zmoty9's picture
March 25, 2016 at 10:05am
46 Comments

According to the story linked below, the Arizona Diamondbacks have decided their 17 (!) year old stadium isn't good enough anymore and they either want the city to pay (of course) for an estimated $187 million in "necessary" upgrades or a new stadium.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/03/24/arizona-dia...

Maricopa County, the home of the organization, rejected the franchise's request to be let out of their thirty year lease and now the organization is threatening to sue the county to get out.

This on the heels of the NFL's Los Angeles derby is really souring me on pro sports. It's absurd that these franchises think the cities and counties just have nine plus figures of money laying around. I know the locales don't really have much recourse, but I'd really love to see them band together and throw up a collective middle finger at these organizations. If you've got enough money to own a professional organization, you've got enough to buy your own damn stadium.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments