College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

CFB Is Stagnating: Your Ideas for Injecting Some Juice Into It...

+5 HS
Earthoid.'s picture
October 5, 2018 at 12:06pm
138 Comments

I was watching this video from ESPN *warning: lots of bama ass-kissing* which poses the question of whether Alabama is getting boring.  This all came up after Saban complained this week about the student section not filling up, not cheering enough, etc.  I don't know what he expects when you play absolutely nobody, but I digress.

Anyway, that got me thinking.  I think the real problem is that CFB in general seems to be stagnating.  The playoffs successfully injected some life into it and there were some amazing seasons since then (one in particular that I can think of) but it seems the honeymoon is wearing off and the last couple seasons have been less than stellar.  This one is not shaping up to be all that great (at least regular season)

Even if you don't agree with that premise, I think we can agree that there could be at least some changes that improve CFB in the playoff era.  I'm interested to hear yours and I'll share one of mine that's quite radical:

First of all we do away with conferences, entirely.  At the beginning of the year they take all the old Power 5 teams and throw them into a "hat".  They draw randomly selected "groups".  So each year, each team would play every other team in their group.  Additionally each team would play one cross-group game, again randomly selected.  On top of that there would be two teams that each team plays every year in order to maintain traditional rivalries.  The idea would be between those 3, to get to 11 games in the season.

At the moment I believe there are 65 Power 5 teams.  Let's just leave Notre Dame out to get to 64.  8 groups of 8 means 8 group games for each team.  One more game with a team outside of your group.  Two more games with two rivals you play every year.  That comes to 11 season games if I don't suck at math (which I do).

Then at the end of year an 8 team playoff with the team at the top of the standings out of each group.  I believe that if you made it to the NCG that'd be a total of 14 games (again you can check my math if you're smart).  Also by making the qualification be based on group standings, the out of group game and rivalry games wouldn't ruin your season if you lost by 1 point which seems like a plus to me.

I don't know, I just think this would be an awesome way for every season to be new and fresh, and exciting.  I know it'll never happen but it's fun to think about.  Anyway, what do you think and what are some of your own ideas?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 138 Comments