Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2016 Tailgate Fare Week 3 (Early Edition)

+7 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
September 14, 2016 at 3:10pm
67 Comments

Sorry to be breaking into the news cycle in other than my claimed time slot, but this week the tasty treat known as Tailgate Fare comes to you a day early.  And, this is going to be an unfortunate reality about three more times.  You can thank your taxpaying dollars for enabling me to participate in a regional program, which will drag me away from the land of the interwebz on some upcoming Thursdays, beginning tomorrow.

So, let's get down to it.  This week is the big Oklahoma game, so I wanted to throw something BBQ themed into the mix, and I have a recipe that I'm trying this weekend that I think would be perfect, but I stumbled upon it too late, and I like to make everything I post here beforehand.  So, if it turns out well, it will be featured soon.

But, for this week, I have something that is pretty easy, and is actually pretty hard to mess up. 

BBQ Chicken Burgers

INGREDIENTS

1 pound ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup BBQ sauce - use your favorite, we use Sweet Baby Ray's
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
BBQ sauce (for topping)
gouda cheese (for topping)

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine chicken, BBQ sauce, paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Mix until just combined, then form 4 patties. Preheat the grill or a skillet and cook the burgers until fully cooked through. I cooked mine about 8 minutes per side - they were juicy and not dried out, but cooked thoroughly.

(This is from the recipe, but I didn't try this.)  While burgers are cooking, heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and sauté until caramelized, about 10 minutes.  Or, you can try this.

When burgers are ready, top with gouda (or more cheddar), onions, BBQ sauce and fresh romaine.

PRO TIPS

• If you don't have a meat grinder, just grab a pack of boneless chicken breasts and ask them to grind it at the butcher's counter in your grocery store.
  •  Mrs 3M is a fan of Gouda, and it is good, but I put provolone and colby jack on mine, and it was delicious.
  • In lieu of the grilled onions in the original recipe, we just left the onion raw to top them.  I put cole slaw on mine and it was outstanding.
  • Remember kids, always toast your buns.  And, don't be cheap - buy the large buns.

Previous Editions:
Week 1 - Cucumber Spaghetti Salad
Week 2 - Hurricanes

2015 Tailgate Fare

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 67 Comments