Garrett is a great get, and he does to some extent break the streak of failing to sign elite DTs, but here are other DTs ranked substantially ahead of Jerron Cage:
1) Wilson - looking to be the same sad story as Rashard Lawrence, Dexter Lawrence, Antwuan Jackson, etc
2) Aubrey Solomon, #25 overall from GA, re-committed to Michigan. Apparently they can pull 5* DTs out of the South.
3) Tufele - see Wilson, except Tufele isn't even from the South. Yes, it's hard to pull players out of Utah, except USC is apparently about to do it. Yes, yes, he has friends there, whatever. Remind me what makes a recruiter "elite", if he can never overcome the "hard to pull player out of X" and "he has connections at X, but not at OSU" excuses.
4) Tyler Shelvin, #52 overall from LA, going to LSU. Fine, this kid only has offers from LSU, Bama, TAMU, and Nebraska (for some reason), so he was never going to leave the South.
5) Marlon Tuipulotu, #60 overall from OR, enrolled at USC. Had offers from Michigan and ND, but not from OSU. Didn't have an offer from Bama either, but last I checked Bama has zero trouble recruiting elite DTs. Was pursuing this kid not worth the effort?
6) Garrett - great get, see above. Need one to two more like him every year.
7) Phidarian Mathis, #99 overall from LA, signed with Bama. Lots of offers, but none from B1G schools except Minnesota, apparently saying why the hell not. So the kid was unlikely to leave the south, but was it not worth even kicking the tires on him?
8) Greg Rogers, #120 overall from Vegas, committed to UCLA. Offers from Nebraska, ND, and Michigan, but not OSU. Again, was it not even worth the effort of offering him?
9) Ja'len Parks, #141 overall from FL, committed to FSU. Only offer outside the traditional South from Oklahoma, so I guess he was never going to leave the South. Fine.
10) Darnell Ewell, #149 overall from VA, signed with ND. Had OSU offer.
I'm sure there are legitimate reasons OSU won't get each of the 9 guys other than Garrett, but together it's a pattern. It's great to finish 2nd or 3rd or whatever for Wilson and Tufele - you tried hard and were almost there. Why was OSU never in the discussion for Solomon? Why was OSU beaten out by ND, a program nearly going down in flames, for Ewell? Why weren't Tuipulotu, Mathis, and Rogers pursued at all?
The fact that this staff apparently gets every other top shelf DE and DB and every third or fourth top shelf LB and WR only makes this more annoying. Yes, with good coaching OSU can go toe to toe with Bama, but at this rate Bama will always have a talent advantage. And at least in part it's because they're willing to invest more effort than OSU. I'm talking about the staff, not the mythical bagmen.