This kid seems like a guy that is going to do really well no matter where he ended up picking for college, except maybe Dixie State. The kid is a monster. Heck of an athlete and wish him the best going forward (unless we meet up of course).
No reason to be upset. We just won a national championship and have Urban Meyer as our coach with a loaded team coming back next year. We will be alright with whoever Urban pulls in each year. Urban says a player that commits to the school early just means that we are the current leader. These kids change their minds all the time. They are young and are making a huge decision for the next 3 to 5 years of their lives. Good luck to Carlton on whatever he decides and the Ohio State machine keeps rolling either way.
I know my Bengals wouldn't be smart enough to take him in the 2nd round either but I can dream of a day without Andy Dalton at QB and Cardale throwing deep passes to AJ Green....
This list is my general thoughts on where and why certain guys that are Seniors (and Cardale) could end up being drafted....
1. Michael Bennett - Late 1st to Mid 2nd - Very solid Defensive Tackle that has ability to stop the run and also rush the passer. His ability to sack the QB from the inside pass rush should help him slip into that late 1st round area.
2. Cardale Jones - 2nd to 3rd round - IF he declares today and that is a big if then I think he could easily be a late 2nd round pick. He has the size, arm, and upside that someone would be willing to take a chance on and would love to develop.
3. Doran Grant - Late 2nd to Mid 3rd round - Grant is just a solid cover corner that will go fairly early given the position he plays. Should run well at pro day and combine and could even lift his stock a bit.
4. Devin Smith - Late 2nd to 3rd round - Smith will be an excellent gunner in the NFL from day one. Wouldn't be suprised if he was also a teams #3 WR on opening day of the season. You can't coach speed and he has tons of it. I look for him to be a difference maker within the first 2 or 3 years at WR for someone.
5. Jeff Heuerman - 3rd to 4th round - Heuerman is a very solid blocker that was underutilized as a pass catcher. He can do it though and someone will add value by scooping him up in the middle of the draft.
6. Evan Spencer - 5th to 6th round - Team guy that can do it all. Block, catch, pass, run, and play special teams. Someone like Belicheck will be smart enough to see that Spencer can play in the league for a long time to come and benefit from doing so.
7. Darryl Baldwin - 6th Round to 7th Round - I trust that Warriner can develop professional NFL ready Offensive Lineman after what the guys we lost on the line last year have done in the NFL this year. Baldwin will be the next surprise guy that gets drafted late and ends up as a starter or backup on the active roster from day one.
8. Curtis Grant - UDFA - I just don't see him getting drafted. He improved tremendously late in the year but I don't know if they will be enough to get him drafted. I still think he has a chance to make a practice squad out of his first camp and have a chance to develop, especially given the strides he had been making recently.
9. Steve Miller - UDFA - Will go to camp with a team but doubt he ends up on a team or practice squad beyond a year or so. Great Buckeye that filled in admirably for Noah Spence this season.
10. Rashad Frazier - UDFA - Another player that showed some flashes but his future isn't going to be playing Football.
Selfishly it would be nice if Cardale stayed. It would be a good problem if they all stayed. However, I won't be shocked to see Braxton transfer and/or Cardale decide to go pro. He has a newborn daughter, no way to know if he will start next year, and his stock could be at its highest it ever will be. Tough decision for him but I know if I was in his shoes I would go to the pro's.
What about the petition this kid started on change.org .......Gotta love Ohio and the passion for the Buckeyes.
So happy for Blaine (he is my cousin). The kid is a really good basketball player and it took a few years for everyone around here to convince him just how good he could be at Football if he puts in the work and goes for it. I talked to him over the summer and he said Gerald getting interest from Ohio State and Virginia Tech (before he commited to the Bucks) was a big reason he decided to play football and start taking it serious.
Great get. I think he will be a real good player and it won't take him long after he gets here to start making an impact.
Got home from work and saw this and said HOOLLLYYY SHIT...Thought LSU or Baylor with RGIII momentum. Loving some Urban Meyer already.