Won't go into some of the stuff I was doing at that age ... I do believe in second chances, the chance to mature, redemption ... best wishes to Marcus, this can end up making him a better and stronger person.
Some take-aways in my mind (not a CFB expert by any stretch of the imagination, but love the buckeyes):
1) The defense looks promising, very encouraging to see that
2) The backup QB's could not hit a long pass to save their life, every time they attempted a long ball looked like a heave in the general direction and a prayer
3) The Big Ten Channel did a bad job commentating IMO, would have liked to have more of a play-by-play call than the mindless drivel going on DURING the plays
4) Still, all-in-all, great to see the guys out there, we have an awesome coaching staff and some real talent, can't wait until the season starts, very challenging schedule this upcoming season.
I was / am a crappy athlete too bNb. A few random thoughts:
1) Was in a Judo tournament, was only a green belt, had a match with a black belt who I think decided to go easy on me, we both went down to the mat, I grabbed him and held him down on his back for the required 30 seconds and won the bout as the crowd gasped. It was a round robin tournament, I had to face him two more times in that tournament and he stomped me both times in short order.
2) One summer I entered our club's tennis tournament for the 4.0 category. The favored guy, big, tall guy with a monster serve, got knocked out by a guy who I ended up playing in the finals. I was in the zone that day, did not miss hardly any shots, hit an overhead over the fence (something I rarely ever did) and ended up winning. When the pro was handing out the trophies (one of the few I ever won), he had a really surprised look on his face when he congratulated me.
3) This is lame, but was shooting baskets in the Y one day by myself, starting shooting three pointers and hit 8 out of 10, typically I would hit 2 maybe 3. Even a blind pig gets an ear of corn from time-to-time. No proof, so it never happened as they say.
A not-so-shining moment but kinda funny, one of my friends was a big, muscled up district champion wrestler who also played football, defensive tackle. His high school played Eastmoor one evening. On one play he saw Archie Griffin come roaring right at him. He thought "I'm going to nail Archie Griffin right in his tracks, I'll be table to brag about this the rest of my life". He said he launched himself and hit Archie with everything he had. Five other players and 30 yards later they finally pulled Archie down just shy of the end zone, which he crossed over on the next play.
Maybe he should run for ... wait for it ... senator.
Ryan Damn Shazier!
The ying and the yang ... we delight at the great offensive play and groan at the missed tackles. I guess that is the mental tug-of-war you play when you watch your team ... well ... play against itself.
Indeed, the liberal entertainment industry conspires to keep brilliant personalities like Dennis Miller out of the lime light.
Colbert is perfect for this, he's quick witted, funny, magnetic personality, uber high energy, and brings with him a large following of a young demographics CBS would love to pull in. Of course he will drop his Corbert Report persona, absurd to think otherwise.
I hate to admit it, but Devin Gardner is pretty darn good when he's firing on all cylinders. Then again, a play for the ages ...
My idealized assumption about Jesse Owen's life was shattered by this excellent article, ashamed to say I never studied his life in any depth. Very sobering and insightful, thanks Johnny, well done.
Great writeup Birm thanks! A four star kid from Columbus, still no offer, you did a great job of explaining the situation ... but I still "don't get it" if ya know what I mean.
In Thad We Trust.
My condolences to you. The pain will subside over time I promise. My mom passed away two years ago, I still miss her. I teared up the other day thinking about her, she was the outgoing and caring person in our family that everyone just loved to be around. I did not have to go through what you did, I was visiting with her one day, she was her usual self, making me laugh with her observations and sense of humor, the next day I drove two hours to a client site, when I got there received a call from my dad that she had passed away in her sleep that night. Although she was originally from Nashville, she and my dad moved to Columbus right about the time I was born, so she and my dad became buckeye fans. Sounds like you had a special mom. Glad the 11W site is of comfort to you, I think 99% of the folks on here are good people that have the common bond of our love for The Ohio State University and a desire to represent our institution with class and excellence.
The testosterone meter was pegged during that drill.
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
Just kidding, looks like a pretty reasonable list to me Michael, fun to speculate.
1) Glad Jeff is still with our team for now
2) He'll get his chance at a head coaching position eventually
Promises promises ...
Would be great to see the tight ends get involved to complement having a QB who can pass and run, a power running back, a hybrid back and some WR's who can run deep routes as well as finding the seams. The bucks will be very hard to defend obviously if all of those weapons come together.
Interesting article, good stuff. However, I'm not sure past performance or the season 2, 3 whatever syndrome applies here. This is a new season, great recruits, good returning players, a top QB, top notch coaches ... it's a unique situation. The schedule this season will be tougher than last season, so we'll see what happens, won't be a cake walk for sure.
I wouldn't be so sure about that:
Of UK's 11 signees from Ohio, seven are ranked among the top 25 prospects in the state by Rivals.com
Actually, I'm a little more annoyed that UK is targeting and getting some top recruits from Ohio, although I expect it's just an anomaly.
Those pants are awesome, they're worth their weight in gold ...
I'll show myself out.
If Braxton takes that next big step we are all hoping he will, and is capable of, the bucks will be tough to beat.
So you're joining in on the April Fool's joke I take it.