Ohio State football was so fortunate to have Urban Meyer, an Ohio guy who grew up a Buckeye fan, not to mention one of the top 2-3 coaches in college football, come available at just the right time back in 2011. Sorry to say, that just doesn't exist in CBB.
Let's consider the top guys in the profession, all of whom have won titles since Thad's first year at OSU, and none of whom have any Ohio/Ohio State ties:
- Coach K - not going anywhere, has back problems of his own
- Roy Williams - already at his alma mater, not going anywhere
- John Calipari - why leave UK for Ohio State? Plus, do you really want him here?
- Rick Pitino - see Calipari, John
- Kevin Ollie - Ok, a stretch, but has won a title, is already at his alma mater, not going anywhere
- Jay Wright - just won his first title in a place he's been since 2001, not going anywhere
- Bill Self - has won 12 Big XII titles in a row plus a title in a place he's been since 2003, not going anywhere
- Jim Calhoun - out of coaching
- Billy Donovan - coaching Russell Westbrook in the NBA
My point in all this is, it's going to have to be an Archie Miller-type that Ohio State goes after. I'd love to go after some of these guys too, but it ain't gonna happen, it makes zero sense for any of them to leave what they have to come here.
If you were any of those guys and got a call from Gene Smith, would you make the move? Or, as the AD at any of those schools, would you make it easy for them to walk away, even if they wanted to? I realize the answer is always no if you don't ask, but this would be wasted breath.