It seems the Matta haters are absolutely clueless about basketball, recruiting, development, relationships or reputation. OSU LOVES Matta, based on media releases and comments. If they fire him, who would give up their current gig for a job where they fired the best coach they ever had? At a football schoool? That reputation would sink a lot of hiring efforts.
Matta has had some of the best recruiting classes ever, including the last two, and all the recruits Rosenbuck named above. A lot of the great recruits left OSU early, as shown below.
He also has developed great coaches who got HC jobs at other schools: John Groce, Archie and Sean Miller, Todd Lickliter, Brad Stevens of NBA Celtics. Can fair-weather fans not see the obvious development in the players, who can play both man, zone, and press defenses effectively, have improved their rebounding, and so on, that they did not do well at the beginning of the season?
Matta's players who left early:
- 2007: Greg Oden (Fresh), taken No. 1; Mike Conley (Fresh), No. 4; Daequan Cook (Fresh), No. 21
- 2008: Kosta Koufos (Fresh), No. 23
- 2009: B.J. Mullens (Fresh), No. 24
- 2010: Evan Turner (Junior), No. 2
- 2012: Jared Sullinger (Soph.), No. 21
- 2013: Deshaun Thomas (Junior), No. 58
- 2014: Amedeo Della Valle (Soph.), Italy
- 2014: LaQuinton Ross (Junior), Europe
- 2015: D’Angelo Russell (Fresh) ??