Disclaimer: this is coming from a Michigan fan, so this will read like a bizarro confession compared to the other posts on this thread.
1. I used to truly believe that Michigan football and athletics held its players and coaches to a higher ethical and moral standard than other rival programs such as MSU and OSU. My belief was eroding for some time and then everything that happened with the UM football team over the last 18-24 months completely killed it (e.g. Lewan assault charge, Gibbons issue, Stonum drinking/driving issues, Touissant DUI, etc)
2. Whenever I look at the fanbases of OSU and UM now, I feel like I'm experiencing a complete role reversal from what I saw most of my life. OSU's fanbase is now the more arrogant of the 2 and focuses on much more than just the Rivalry and Conference Championship. Michigan's fanbase is now the more "woe is me" fanbase obssessed more than anything with simply beating its main rival, other games be damned. I'd much rather be part of the arrogant fanbase than the "woe is me" fanbase. I already root for the Lions, so one of those teams is enough for me.
3. I am seriously wondering whether the UM football program is cursed. What started out as a small rut (last couple years of Carr) turned into a larger but explainable blip (the RichRod era) and has now turned into a fully fledged lost decade. I have no idea how and when Michigan will get back to being a regularly strong football program and am quickly losing confidence in the current leadership.
4. Even though I follow it regularly, I think everyone on all sides stresses out way too much about recruiting. Every time a recruit pledges to OSU, MSU, UM, ND, etc the homer recruiting analysts and fan bases act like every one of these players are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and on-field dominance for the next decade is assured. The reality is that most of these guys will be lucky to be average players at best, and that on-field coaching and teaching is far more important than winniing a given recruiting battle for an 18 year old.
5. I have actively stayed away from this site for most of the last 4 months because there's not much I can say lately to defend the state of UM's football program. And there's only so much negative stuff I can read about UM/positive stuff about OSU before I just become apathetic and don't want to deal with it. In a related story, my work productivity has increased dramatically during this time.
6. I think I've lost confidence in Hoke and crew but am willing to give them one more shot in 2014 before saying for certain. That said, I think that my biggest fear around firing Hoke and his staff is the fact that I don't trust Dave Brandon to find a better candidate. I've seen how much the program can get set back when a new coaching regime comes in, so I only want to start over again if there's clearly a better candidate out there who would be willing to coach the team.
7. "This is Michigan" is the equivalent in stupidiity to the whole "O-H......" thing. I hate both quotes/chants with a passion.
8. I don't know who I want to beat more this year - MSU or OSU, but I'm certain that if UM doesn't win at least one of those games the fanbase will lose its mind.
9. I think the 2013 UM offensive line was the worst offensive line I've ever seen at the NCAA or NFL level. By the way, I've been watching football like a crack addict for over 30 years.
10. I still can't understand how when UM hired a spread offense guru as head coach (RichRod), the offense couldn't score points against the good teams in the conference but when OSU did the same thing a couple years later (Meyer), they had no problem putting points up on almost everyone in the conference right away (defense is another story, of course).
11. This post is way too long.