Nice post. Would you please contribute to powerspread.net! :)
1. You are on the right track. Let me add:
We can know something about Withers with a little research. He's a great recruiter -People Coach - and may make a great Head Coach, but he's always had problems scheme wise. Certainly, Withers wasn't a good match with Fickell in that respect.
I would also add that Fickell went beyond what Heacock was doing at the end of the Tressel reign. My research during that time led me to believe that more aggressive mix of coverages and zone blitzing was much more due to Fickell. Again, this isn't in Withers playbook. He would have fit better with Heacock's passive schemes.
I don't like 2 DCs either, but this may work with the right guy. And Coaching Schemes are evolving so rapidly that Fickell may need some help. We all need some help. haha. BUT we have to get the Defensive Staff all on the same page in one unified direction with a simple scheme. This allows our players to flourish and fulfill their talent. All this falls on Meyer. I'm sure that's what he's looking for in the new coaching search.
2. 100% TRUE. I thought the first half stunk! But the 2nd half we played smarter schemes and fundamentals. Just a bit better - but it made a differnce. Now, imagine if we really make improvements! We are not as far away as many may think. Again, I think Urban is well aware of all this.
3.Morris is a Brilliant PS Coordinator. Simple as that. He made some mistakes, I feel, but way more brilliant maneuvers.
As for the Bubble Screens. They weren't as simple as they looked. DECEPTIVE simplicity. Watkins was all over the field. Even on the sideline for breathers. There were little TWEAKS in design everywhere. Some designs NO TEAM COULD HAVE STOPPED. Including the NFL. Morris is a master and Herman/Meyer struggled to keep up.
4. Power Spread is Aggression, Variety, Balance. "Go where they ain't". Very simple. Go back and watch what Morris does. For the most part. Then look at us.
I really think Meyer is holding Herman back. I've seen better game plans/play calling earlier in the year and last year. AT times Brilliant. Even faking the jet sweep to Brown and using Hyde in pass pattersn flooding the sidelines late in the game were brilliant designs.
HERMAN HAS GOT IT! Meyer needs to let him use it.
5. Cam is amazing. But what happened to the innovation after the first part of the year? Swing Gate (Buffalo game) would have been perfect - without Miller - for the 2 pt conversion. And more innovation in the return games. For god's sake lets use our speedy guys to the max! Same as the Offense - too conservative once the Big 10 Schedule started.
Meyer was King. Now students have passed the master.
6. Right on cue - true again. And again I say - Meyer has some work to do. On his own concepts and ideas. On all 3 phases of the game.
He was the Master during the 00s. But his aura was already starting to wane a bit at the end of his Florida run. Now his disciples are doing absolutely amazing stuff. Above and beyond what Urban, RRod and the NW team started.
Urban is definitely smart enough. It's not just about schemes. But in all phases I hope he's reassessing his beliefs before he hires a new coach and starts dictating to the other coaches the direction we are going to go. Especially before they start teaching it to the players.
Possibly, Urban has already done all of this. We don't know, since one month is certainly not enough time to tweak the direction of the team.
7. WE ARE NOT THAT FAR AWAY
Urban is a legend. The staff is full of great coaches with experience. We have great talent and recruiting. Just some tweaks are all that's needed to beat these new age gurus.
Of course, Malzahn going to Clevland would help. haha.
I wonder, did he ever copy Urban or RRod's stuff directy back in the day?