Are the chrome helmets the ones worn in 2012 for The Game?
The Oregon Mascot lost a wager with Brutus before the NC game.
I'm a purist.
The only 100% proper hat is the Woody hat: black with a simple red block O that has a whiite outline. Nothing else.
Red with a gray block O is also nice, but not as legit.
My favorite TE pass was the 2 point conversion that saved us vs. Purdue in 2012.
Heuerman blocked for a second, then released behind the defense to the opposite side. No one near him.
True our TE's are actually H-backs. TE/FB hybrids.
Manti Te'os' telephone girlfriend agrees. Notre Dame Quarterbacks are absolutely fabulous compared to TOSU quarterbacks.
Welcome to the Buckeye family!
Do we have 11W "Chumpass Yankee Champions" shirts yet?
^This. The advantage would be to sell the Ohio State brand where it's not normally understood for its great opportunity and value -- think of Detroit Cass Tech regionally. If we can get more players from Big 12 / Pac 12 country, it's probably worth it.
What struck me before the game was Saban in press conferences. He was a TOSU assistant, coached for the Browns, coached Sparty.
He was gracious in his praise of TOSU and Urban, but in a way I think he was trying to warn his team in public against complacency.
We face the same challenge this year.
It's good that you understand the pain that many of us experienced in the dark times.
IMO we can remain dominant if we have a transition plan in place after Urban, e.g. Warriner or Herman.
Beat them forever.
Play for Ohio State or lose to Ohio State.
We can't count them out - We only won by 1 point in 2013, and Hairball is a much better coach than Hoke.
We will need to be 100% fired up with a bag of tricks they haven't seen on film.
I make 10,000 a day with this one weird tip. LOL.
We need to face some adversity before facing TTUN - Harbaugh will be focusing on an upset, trying to replicate what Schembechler did in his first year.
Even with Hokey Pokey as coach we only won by 1 point in the big shithouse. We can't take The Game as a gimme at all.
However, if we blow out TTUN It will be glorious - their anointed savior not saving the program. Imagine the butthurt!
I totally agree that player compensation is a University / NCAA / sponsor issue, apart from coachs' salaries.
The phenomenal job Urban has done has elevated the revenue and reputation of the university beyond belief - he deserves to be rewarded.
It bothers me when mediocre coaches like Ferentz get paid millions. Paying top dollar for possibly the best coach in ALL of football doesn't bother me at all.
The Catholic association with ND is an interesting topic.
I would guess that the number of devout Catholics has declined over time (like most traditional Christian denominations). Maybe that correlates with their decline in football. Certainly you still have superior athletes going to Catholic schools, but many of them aren't Catholic by practice.
By contrast, evangelical Christianity is widespread and outspoken in football, especially in SEC country. I wonder if that impacts recruiting for ND -- convincing an evangelical kid and his family to attend a Catholic school.
He must love sub-zero winter days and driving on ice.
It's great that we can attract kids of this caliber. Ohio State has an almost unique combination of football excellence and TRUE academic excellence and opportunity -- not just pushing kids in to "general studies" like some other schools *cough* up north *cough*.
I'm impressed by how articulate and intelligent the players are with their responses. We have smart, good kids that kick ass on the field. It's a great time to be a Buckeye.
1) Zeke's 85 yard run. In that one play we:
- Put the game away and advanced to the Title
- Beat the #1 team in the country
- Ended our official drought against the SEC
- Shattered the myth of SEC superiority
- Shattered the myth of SEC speed
- Made every ESPN "expert" look like a fool for picking Bama
2) Braxton's last second bomb against Wisconsin
- I pick this over Holy Buckeye because the 2002 team should not have been losing to Purdue in the first place. In 2011 Wisconsin had Russell Wilson and the Buckeyes were hurting. Braxton saving the day was electric - I have never heard Ohio Stadium cheer that loud. It's also priceless that he winked at Fickell before the play.
3) Smith to Gonzalez against TTUN
- I was at a sports bar in Seattle watching the game. There was a typically smug TTUN couple watching the game, surrounded by ~30 Ohio State fans. Before that catch the TTUN couple were smirking to each other, in their typical chardonnay-sipping, fair-weather-fan way. When that catch happened the Ohio State fans erupted and the TTUN couple look bewildered, confused, almost terrified. It was priceless.
Why do our undefeated seasons hinge on last-minute comebacks against ... PURDUE?
With this kid and Bowen our QBs will have all day to throw.
This is a great tradition. It brings the team and the (student) fans closer together.
It also helps promote the university itself. Where else can you have this much fun, hang out with a rock star coach, take selfies with a natty trophy and get a top-notch education all in one place?