I didn't get to post at all in the game thread, so my thoughts on what I saw:
1. Decent, game-managery type performance by Barrett, save the interception, which is the sort of thing you have to expect out of a freshman here and there. Plus, the decision to pitch on the third down play just before the second FG was poor, to put it mildly. But he was accurate, and seemed to have a good sense for the pressure after the first couple of drives.
2. Still not enough of an effort to get the ball to the fast guys in space.
3. It looked to me like Darryl Baldwin got beat badly to the inside on two big losses. We need improvement at that position. The rest of the line looked like it jelled in the second half, but Navy doesn't have elite talent so it's hard to gauge.
4. Play calling on short yardage situations is still an issue. I don't know that we have the talent up front this season to just impose our will, so Herman is going to have to get more creative on third and 1 or 2 than "QB keeps."
5. Nuernberger impressed right away.
6. Nothing at all good to say about the linebackers. Something is seriously amiss with the coaching or the recruiting or both. I try to leave Curtis Grant alone because he hears it from everyone else, but he was running after guys from behind all day long, and that shouldn't happen when Washington and Bennett are getting so much attention from blockers.
7. I can't recall seeing Cameron Burrows make a play all day, which shouldn't happen when you're a safety facing a team that never passes.
8. Samuel had a great debut. I like Elliott, but he didn't give us much today after first defensive contact.
9. I don't care what anyone says, the guy was out of bounds on the first Navy touchdown. I for one am getting tired of the officiating approach of "What the hell -- give the call to the home team and let the replay booth take the heat if it has to be overturned."