Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Comment Ranking System

0 HS
GVerrilli92's picture
March 3, 2016 at 1:27pm
206 Comments

So I'm a reader/contributor to all types of forums ranging different topics - sports, cars, science, health, etc, whatever. And one of my favorite sites - that I'm sure you're all familiar with - is Reddit. They have some pretty decent threads from time to time on college football, and Buckeye Nation is pretty well represented there.

Getting to the point, I love how Reddit "ranks" its comments. The forum layout places higher value in the upvote, and changes the order in which you see comments based on how many upvotes each has received.

Ranking comments IMO drives the more sound opinions and productive conversation to the top and allows people who aren't on the site ALL the time to receive upvotes. It also moves obvious troll attempts to the bottom of the feed as negative helmet stickers would keep the comment unseen underneath higher voted replies. This would eliminate childish banter that's unrelated to the topic at hand.

Just for example, somebody comments on a thread 30 seconds after it is posted, literally writing some BS just to get my name on the comment section first. Somebody else reads the article 5 hours later and posts with a reasonable response, but nobody is able to see it because us posters have wasted 395473294 comments on bashing the the first person who replied with trash (lol).

Now, would this encourage the homogenization of the opinions of the site as a whole?  (That sentence made me sound smart) Maybe, but it is a fan site and the most we've ever disagreed about something can be summed with #FireFickell.

Thoughts?

P.s. Don't #FireFickell

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 206 Comments