Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

The Death of the GIF on 11W?

0 HS
Earthoid.'s picture
July 30, 2015 at 8:32am
152 Comments

Hello fellow Buckeyes.  I'm here with a humble attempt to usher in the death of the GIF (however your prefer to pronounce it), on 11W.  GIF's are cumbersome, they block loading, they block scrolling, even.  Pages fill with GIF's make me want to consider an ancient form of Japanese samurai suicide (which was thought to be honorable, at least).

I give you, the Coub...

Coub's are awesome for a number of reasons, which I will outline below:

1. Coub's only load when you scroll to that point in the page instead of all at once, which a) prevents blocking page loads waiting for a bunch of gif's and b) prevents you the reader from being forced to download an insane amount of data upon loading a single page.

2. Coub's are embeds, meaning the loading of said resource is done on the host server.  Think as them as the GIF version of a Youtube video.

3. Coub's are freaking awesome as you can clearly see above.  They play much, much smoother than GIFs, but the effect is exactly the same.  PLUS, they have sound if you so choose to click on it.  GIF's don't have sound.  Go ahead, click on the Coub above.  Isn't that much more enjoyable when you just want to once again enjoy the beautiful commentary of ZEKE slicing through bama's butter defense?

4. Coub's can be created easily by anyone who can click a mouse.  On Coub, you can create one by using a youtube/vimeo/daily motion, etc video and just pasting in the link.  It brings up an editor that allows you to create a 10 second clip from either one video or a mashup of any number of videos.  You can also then download these as GIF's (I suppose) if you simply refuse to acknowledge that the Coub is far superior to the GIF.

Allow me to further my argument, by enjoying this incredible montage of King Cardale truck sticking various unsuspecting victims:

...or have you ever wondered what it'd be like to see XBrax destroy Penn State in reverse?

OR... how about this incredibly sweet 2014 Urban Meyer the GOAT highlight reel? (you are legally obligated to turn the sound on and watch this from beginning to end, btw)

Pretty sweet, right?

I've stated my case and I believe it to be a rather strong one.  I could go on for days, but seriously if the Urban Meyer 2014 highlight reel didn't convince you, nothing will.

Now with that said, should you attempt to actually use a Coub.... PLEASE READ MY...

PLEA FOR RESPONSIBLE COUB EMBEDDING!!!11!!!!!!111!!11!!

First to embed a coub into your post, you need to click on the youtube embed button on the editor above and then paste the embed code from Coub into the embed code field (works like a charm).

BUT, you must not ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, never embed a coub where you have that is not muted.  To get GIF-like results and embed Coubs responsibly, please use the following settings on the Coub embed code generator:

coub settings

If you select auto start, the video plays like a GIF, but only when you scroll to that point in the page.  YOU MUST leave "mute" checked - seriously, don't be the a-hole that ruins Coub for everyone because common human decency escapes you.  If you click autoplay, Coub automatically checks muted.  You have to manually uncheck mute to be a jack*** and everyone will know that you did.  You should be shamed relentlessly and thrown in jail if you engage in such dastardly acts.

Do NOT check start with HD.  Not everyone has a stable internet connection.  Again, think of the children, think of the children, man....

So there it is, my entire argument.  I guess I'll leave you with this one then... A coubified version of Pure Michigan scUM Football:

And I swear if you turn this thread into a gif party, I will find you........ each and every one of you.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 152 Comments