Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

What's up with the Ads?

FitzBuck's picture
August 20, 2014 at 10:08pm
14 Comments

I know they are supposed to be based on browsing history but what the hell is going on?  I'm getting ads for Warcraft (i don't game online) suboxon (I don't have an addiction to pain killers) and a Filipino dating site (married without a Filipino fetish).  Anyone else getting really strange ads?   

If not let the denial jokes begin.  

osu07asu10's picture

I believed you until the Filipino dating site...

Fwiw, I'm looking at getting a Mazda 3 and all ads are for that or one of their competitors

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Buckeye Knight's picture

I must be lucky, they think I'm manly.  Here's the ad that is currently on the right, LOL:

+2 HS
highwire's picture

Sorry, I like to party.

+1 HS
AirForceNUT's picture

You need to have a serious conversation with your wife about her internet usage... 

+5 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

There was one time I saw an ad for tourism in a certain state to the north of us. I almost screenshotted it to make a post similar to this one. Right now I have AT&T Uverse ads which I am already paying for lol.

Football is complicated...

johnblairgobucks's picture

kind of missing the t-shirt ads I was getting last year

+6 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

Hey it is the Wendy's lady.  I'll have a double please.

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

geeks ---> drugs ---> asian mail order wives ... sounds like you hit the trifecta.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
sgehrich's picture

I recently bought a car and was researching online and every ad I have is either from bmw or from the dealer I bought it at. I have to say that the ads are definitely related to my browsing history. Not saying you are looking at Phillipino dating sites, but something in your browsing history pegged you for those ads. I do believe the algorithms can lead to getting ads from something seemingly unrelated to what came up though. For instance, I obviously look at college football sites, and will get ads from every college in the country looking to enroll me. 

DefendYoungstown's picture

flips can be a lot of fun if you meet the right one...  My ads are wake boarding, hardwood floors and university of redlands. No pacific rim dating sites for me.

What we can't do in the air we'll do on the ground.

Rob Reese's picture

flips can be a lot of fun if you meet the right one...

lol?

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Pizza? I don't enjoy that?

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

bigbadbuck's picture

ok.an invisible bikinis ad.......shouldn't it just say nudity?

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room