Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Help Us Improve Our FAQ Page

Jason Priestas's picture
July 20, 2014 at 8:14am
78 Comments

Hello power users. We need a little bit of your help.

We're in the process of updating our FAQ page and other documentation and I was wondering if you could take a look at it and suggest changes/additions to what we have in place:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/help/faq

You're the real, every day users of this site. What should our FAQ page have on it?

Thanks,
Jason

Buckeyeneer's picture

I realize that helmet stickers are discussed in the Commenting Policy, but that said, far and away, they seem to be the thing that new members seem to ask about again and again. Maybe title it Upvoting/Downvoting and either cite the commenting policy or explain it again.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+4 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Good call. Thanks.

Hovenaut's picture

I know it can be a double-edged sword, but I suggest some emphasis on the misuse of down voting, i.e. the serial downvoter.

Some folks never learn, but it should be stated that serial downvoting is a quick ticket out.

Also, for the extreme lunkheads, something on the use of multiple accounts?

+12 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Great points Hove. The new multiple accounts and gang like DV/UV thing is starting to really effect the sites quality.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

<3

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
RBuck's picture

Yes a million times. I think it should be stressed not to DV for a difference of an opinion.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

HOV - best use of the word "Lunkheads" in a very very long time.

+1 HS
Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

Not sure if this was inferred, but definitely explaining the 100 HS threshold as well.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I would remind new users to maybe use the search function or a quick scan of the forums before creating a new one. I know we have a shit ton of new users and like Dave Biddle they all want to be first to drop a news story in a new forum topic,sometimes not noticing the 3 identical ones below it because of blind eagerness.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+11 HS
Crimson's picture

Jason, I don't know if this has been updated recently, but I have had little luck with our search bar. (W7, Firefox)

1. There's a lot of white space that's unusable, so typing in the search box cuts off the tops and bottoms of letters.
  2. Search isn't friendly to variations in spelling.  "Ohio State" will not pull up anything on "OhioState" or "Ohio-State," even though it would on, say, google.

Edit: The font (size) for this enumeration (and bullets) is different from the standard font.

+3 HS

Perhaps explaining the use of cold, hard facts font, to prevent the accidental downvote to oblivion.

Also, point out/explain buckshots vs. cover stories, similar to the search feature so that the new users know to look out for both (sometimes, depending on device, buckshots can get lost amongst the forums and covers).

Might not hurt, either, to provide a place for how to support the site (e.g., explaining the Amazon link, 11W dry goods, advertisements, etc.).

Jason Priestas's picture

Good stuff. Thanks.

sharks's picture

faq page needs more gifs

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice job Crimson - that's Hoke's halftime meal

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

Maybe putting a link to Torrance Gibsons 247 page so people will stop making forums about where he is and is not going. 

Mac..yeah

+13 HS
Crimson's picture

There is a reply button on every post.  If you're responding to someone else's comment, you might consider hitting that comment's reply button.

If you're referencing a comment in another thread, there's a comment link embedded in the time the comment was posted.

Hold Ctrl and right click for spellcheck.

Voting privileges: see the Commenting Policy.  You should also say that downvotes are for trolls (and utter stupidity), not disagreement.  The regulars know, but it isn't posted there.

+5 HS

I have been here for quite sometime and didn't know about those middle two. Thanks!

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Awesome. Thank you.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Despite being on here all the time, I legitimately don't know the answer to this question:

What is the "cool" way to refer to the Michigan Wolverines?

TTUN? TSUN? *ichigan? Wolverweenies? scUM?  or maybe just UM? or Michigan?

Inquiring minds who have never been cool want to know this.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

My unsolicited two cents on this- I generally use UM and Michigan.  TTUN, *ichigan and the like are fine too.  I think scUM, Meshitagain, Meatchicken, and similar are needlessly disrespectful (and/or just lame), and play into the hands of Wolverine fans who think we're all a bunch of mouthbreathing rednecks.

Only my opinion though, and I obviously don't work here

+6 HS
Bucks's picture

Deer tick state.

Citrus's picture

There is an 11W style guide that states the school's proper name should be used. There could be a version for fans. I prefer TTUN or TSUN. It highlights the rivalry and its history (homage to Woody) without being lame.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Yep. Here's the passage from said guide:

It’s Michigan, UM, the University of Michigan, That School up North or the Wolverines, never scUM, TTUN, TSUN or the atrocious M!C#1G4N (or any derivative). There are a thousand ways to insult Michigan, its employees, its students and its alumni. Try to go about it with at least a mote of originality and/or wit.

Obviously, we hold ourselves as authors to a different standard than fans commenting and would never require anything like this from members.

Crimson's picture

I don't really understand this.

That School up North or the Wolverines, never scUM, TTUN, TSUN

Jason Priestas's picture

It's the same philosophy behind the AP making reporters write out "I don't know" instead of using "IDK."

Deano's picture

When a member of the AP doesn't know, they just make something up that fits their agenda.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Maybe suggest new users to read and comment for a week or two before trying to make their own threads.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+8 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

That may be worth pointing out. Those poor souls that rush right in thinking it's just like any other site on the internet. RIP.

buckeye4life050233's picture

A way for users to email if they have tech problems, i.e. posting pictures, gifs, video or tweets.

Maybe like an email in which they can receive a number for some quick tech help if one of the staff is savvy in that area

Jason Priestas's picture

I'd prefer the FAQ serve this purpose. Just trying to cut down on the volume of emails like that we already receive.

AngryWoody's picture

I remember the old site had a section called something like "commenting like a boss" , but it basically described how to use the site (not sure if it migrated over here). For example it would explain how to put a gif in a comment, or how to embed a video etc. I know it's mostly pretty simple due to the layout of the new site but I still see people putting comments or starting threads asking "how do I do X" and that could be helpful for some of the less tech savvy 11Wers.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. Will do.

makearuckus's picture

I would suggest that this also a family site for all ages , to keep content some what clean .  just my 2 cents.

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

While I agree with your general point, I want to point out that 11W is not a family site and has never billed itself as such. Now, that doesn't mean we let things get out of hand, but I don't want this to be a place where people can't drop colorful language in comments from time to time.

Citrus's picture

I see 11W as an online sport's bar. There can be a fair amount of colorful language but it would be inappropriate to swap Hustler magazines.

+15 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I agree with citrus above me, so it would be nice to have at least some line between hustler magazine and sports bar. I've noticed skin gifs slowly creeping back in. Not that I care, but I know it was a point of contention. Simply letting people know the use of colorful language is no problem, but nudey pics cross the line would be useful to point to and that people would understand before posting. 

AndyVance's picture

I haven't seen any "nudie" pics lately, but I hear what you're saying about the "jiggly pics" coming back into the fold. It's been several months since our last big powwow on the subject, and it's probably time to remind folks to "keep it classy." I don't mind the posting of lovely lady images, but I'll admit that I was a little red-faced after opening one thread last week while sitting in an IHOP in Ankeny, Iowa... 

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

Which thread?

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

AndyVance's picture

This one started out harmless enough, but quickly took a turn toward PG-13 territory. It wasn't completely Out of Hound, but some members rightly pointed out that some of the images weren't... appropriate for all audiences. In other words, Steensn would NOT have approved.

Fly Patterns's picture

hahahaha.  c'mon Oyster.

NCBuck1's picture

YOU NEED TO PUT THE DIRECTIONS TO THE DAMNED PREMIUM LOUNGE THERE! I'VE WASTED ALOT OF TIME AND GAS LOOKING FOR IT YOU SELFISH BASTARDS!

Seriously though, maybe have some mobile browser tips and tricks. Like if there was a way for me to use italics above.

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

Um... Hit the italicized button. You know...the one that's italicized. 

Shitter's full

unknownmusketeer's picture

A reminder for people that they can support 11W through buying items from the dry goods store or shopping at Amazon using the links at the bottom of the page.

My household's shopping habits have surely netted 11W at least 10 cents from the Amazon link.

+3 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

What if people could "level up" in the site by how many purchases they drive through the Amazon link?  I don't mean they'd get anything - just maybe some notation next to their icon or something.  For example, when you contribute $0.01 you get Steve Bellasari status.  When you reach a billion dollars, you get Woody Hayes status. .... completely independent of helmet stickers.  It might be a friendly way to drive more money to the 11W coffers. 

Jason Priestas's picture

That's a good idea, but we don't have any way of matching members with Amazon purchases. And that's probably for the better because people buy some crazy things (we do get to see what's purchased, just not who bought it).

Tater_Schroeder's picture

I REALLY want to see an active list of the weirdest stuff purchased on Amazon using 11W's link.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

yeah jason the streets need that

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Jason Priestas's picture

Ha, don't get me wrong. 99% of the stuff is run-of-the-mill: games, hardware, power tools, books, movies, things like that. But every now and then, "Ooh, someone bought a sex toy."

FitzBuck's picture

Don't be a prude Jason.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Ooh, not to be confused with ew.

Crimson's picture

Another edition of weird purchases is long overdue.

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

It also might be against Amazon's policy.

What might be interesting is to have a weekly/monthly "top 5 weirdest 11w purchases" column.  We could then click links to the amazon product page and make fun of any reviews that might have been written on them -- and then try to match the reviewer to 11w members.

This might also be against Amazon's policy, but it would be awesome.

bodast67's picture

I agree with MUSKETEER...Maybe have the Amazon/Support the page link be a permenant running ad on the top of the mainpage.

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

I remember when I registered I recieved an email. Maybe some of this stuff could be included in that intial email.

Welcome to 11W! Things you should know:

1) We aren't like other sites. This community is built on standards of decorum.
2) Never insult recruits.
.... and so forth

+3 HS
Bucks's picture

And so on.

Nick_Satan's picture

Jason, 1.I also remember the old site had like an 11w dictionary. Like when terrelle pryor was referred to LIC  on here you could just look up what that meant and it would say LIC-Lebron in cleats/Terrelle Pryor. Because sometimes I have no idea what the hell people are talking about when they use different names for things on here.

2.Also I don't know many of the other big ten blogs and besides 11w and Michigans could we get links to some on the site for the upcoming season to check them out to read up on them.

3. I have also saw that some peoples profiles you can private message some users maybe that could be explained a little more.

4. maybe a section why did my forum topic disappear for new users. when they possibly could have doubled posted a topic on accident.

5. I know its kind of an unspoken rule but the politics stuff on here. maybe just a warning about it or something. that this is sports not politics.

6 advertisements you see on here are based on your viewing habits and not the choice of 11w. thats why some see michigan stuff sometimes or other random things.          

and just a general when to upvote when not to. sometimes the privilege gets abused based on someone doesn't like someones opinion.

I am German so english is not my first language. Even though grammar Nazi's like to point out my mistakes all the time. It makes them feel better about them self.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

A fact section on the success of 11w as far as hits, users, and etc. as compared to similar competition might be fitting. Not to toot your horn, but I'm proud of this staff and its members. Being the Best Damn Site in the Land should be recognized.

+1 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

I dont see anywhere on the site that explains in detail how to post pictures or gifs.  Where is it?

Thanks, Crimson, but that doesn't help with gifs or pics saved to our hard drive, does it?  Do these saved images have to be uploaded to the internet for use now?

Crimson's picture

You can't.  It's now a two step process.

1. Go to imgur.com.  Click on "upload images" at the top.  An account is not necessary.  Get the link once you've uploaded it.

2. Insert the picture in 11W, using the link you just created.

+1 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture

Posting pix used to be much easier. A stepwise "How To" would help.

PittBuckeye's picture

Find the URL for the picture you want and copy it, click the add picture button, paste URL, click ok.

My humble attempt at a stepwise how to.

That doesn't work for gifs on a hard drive.

Hoody Wayes's picture

True, nor pix/vid.

PittBuckeye's picture

I had no idea people went to such lengths to store gifs.

ohiowhitesnake's picture

Maybe a link to explain some terminology we use here. Some newer user may not know what getting out of "hound" is and how it grew to a houndie. 

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

The Houndie is dead - long live The Houndie!

+2 HS
FitzBuck's picture

How about important dates related to the site like "EAT TOO"

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

OSUBias's picture

If you're mean (or like calling people out, which I know you do) and practical, a penalty box with the purveyors of the days/weeks/months most asinine comment/thread seems likes good place for us to find out how to avoid the riff raff. It'll be no voting, so no double punishment. Just a warning of new trolls. 

Shitter's full

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Everything on the FAQ should be loaded as images and gifs for really the only purpose of giving Oyster big red X's for the whole page.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

With a friend like you I'll never need an enema.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

With a friend like you I'll never need an enema.

If your friend is giving you the equivalent of an enema . . .

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Rather than worrying about what should be on the FAQ page, how about this:

http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-just-in-time-theory/

As far as voting policies, I'm of the mind that those who abuse their voting privileges probably don't read or care about what the FAQ/Commenting Policy/Voting Policy says about it.  A confirmation box on a downvote button click might add some deterrence, though.

bethmowins's picture

Q: There are multiple threads about the same thing I want to post, should I make a new topic?

A: No.

+2 HS