Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Site activity / usage down since the new format?

D. Anthony's picture
February 27, 2014 at 9:49am
79 Comments

Are the numbers in yet? I only know a few other Eleven Warriors members personally and they claim to visit the site a lot less since the changes (don't like the new format). I honestly like the original look and usability as well. Just wondered if the numbers/site traffic/posts and responses are up or down since the switch and compared to this time last year?

Baroclinicity's picture

I love the look of the new site.  There's something to be said for simplicity, however.

I feel like a foreigner to the site these days in terms of commenting, but I still read a lot. 

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+3 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

There have been so many threads complaining about the new site I'm betting the numbers are pretty good right now.

Seriously though, it does seem like the posting numbers might be a little lower.  That said, I've been impressed by the staff's willingness to address legitimate, rationally presented concerns about the functionality of the new site.  I'm going through the process of implementing some new technology at my business right now - and nothing is ever easy - even when it's supposed to be easy.  If people have left I'm sure they'll start coming back once spring ball rolls around.

+12 HS
Earle's picture

It feels like a number of the high volume commenters/long-time members have been posting less, but I don't know if that translates to overall activity.

SOCK PUPPETS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!

+10 HS
bodast67's picture

Now that Football season is over, I just have less to say, and tend to just read more of other peoples comments or the articles.

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+4 HS
Remy's picture

I was going to reboot the Ohio State: By the Numbers* series starting with No. 99 during the offseason. I was going to compile all of the selections for the Ohio State Recruiting Game.

I will do these when original posts get the upvote/downvote function back. The Tracker tool would also be nice to have back.

*Was going to link an article, but could not find it. Could not find my user blogs either.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+1 HS
Earle's picture

There's a link to your blog in your user profile.

SOCK PUPPETS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!!!

+2 HS
Remy's picture

Earle,
Thank you. Don't know how I missed the blog, but I did. Still trying to get accustomed to things. I guess that's what I get for trying to type and search at 6 something in the morning.

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Mortc15's picture

I think part of the traffic being down, if it is, is because of OSU_Alum almost said. There aren't as many big things to talk about right now. It's kind of a dead period since signing day was over. Once spring practices heat up, the traffic might/should pick up.

Buck-I4Life

+6 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Exactly...

Football season is basically in hibernation.

If it's the new site, perhaps a good site cleanse is needed every now and then?

Personally, I'm acclimated to the new site/layout and ready to keep on with 11w nerd-dom.

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

There aren't as many big things to talk about right now. It's kind of a dead period since signing day was over.

Yeah, not as much big stuff happens in the off season. I mean, Bucksfan can't change his icon every day.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

honestly I wouldn't mind if traffic decreased a bit on here although I wish it was the newer folks who left that just don't fit in and the ones that stayed would be the guys/gals that have been on here for ever with me. More of the usual suspects, less of the casual fans that just don't follow as good honest fans and just want to complain and fire fickell.

I miss some of the original members.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+10 HS
Unky Buck's picture

The "Fire Fickell" threads keep this site in business and making mucho dinero.

+3 HS
Phillips.449's picture

I agree with others that this is probably impacted as much by timing of the offseason. I was honestly looking forward to the offseason only because of the arguing and negativity that seems more prevalent during the football season. I was anticipating some of the nut jobs going away and many of the standard folks to remain. Like you Squirrel, I am a little disappointed to see some of the usual posters around less.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I was anticipating some of the nut jobs going away

I'm still here. I just don't post as much as I used to. I'm still having issues posting GIFs. I don't know what the deal is.  Also, the Buckeye b-ballers have been somewhat of a disappointment, but it's not like that was unexpected.

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I hear you...however, being a new poster does not equate to being new to the site. I, for one, have been a faithful visitor, lurker, reader of 11W since it first broke the story of the Urban Meyer hire. I signed up for an account to join the best community there is only a few days ago. But I'm with you. I miss some of the posters who used to be here.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I agree Squirrel. I think the off-season is typically the best time around here. There's more nonsense and less arguing. 

+2 HS
cplunk's picture

Agreed.

About the middle of last season I instituted a personal no-visit policy for 11W from the moment the game started on Saturday to Monday morning. I've found that time period is intolerable in terms of the comments and posts. Made me much happier. Of course I often slipped up and couldn't resist checking the site.

I do miss when the site was a little less known. Although excellent discussions are still possible and there is no better site on the web for Buckeye news (and no better group of writers), it seems to me like the group of friends I used to hang out with somehow became open to the public.

Not trying to insult anybody, just nostalgic.

+4 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

very true. I mean it is still 11Warriors. Its not like we don't still come to our favorite site no matter what the window dressing looks like or what riff raff consumers wander in the door now that they know our name. Norm and Cliff are still here to comfort us with great stories of idiocrity.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Ditto on both. I read the site a long time before I signed up and started posting. This is the same reason I love hoops open threads. It's a better conversation when there's less people involved. It's about time for another favorite beer or whiskey thread. 

InvertMyVeer's picture

Well I still check in daily and I try to add to the commentary at least every few days. Regardless of how fond of the old layout I was, 11w is still hands down the best site for OSU coverage. 

Football is complicated...

One Bad Buckeye's picture

I've been posting less, but thats because I'm all like this guy....

Or better yet, this guy....

Even though I've posted less, I'm still constantly on here.  The longest I wait to hit refresh on average is about an hour....the new site is just so damn sexy!!!

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+6 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I agree with people here that there are positives and negatives with the new format, but a large reason why it may seem like there are less comments: recruiting for 2014 is over and 2015 just started so plenty of time for things to go/makes this stage of recruiting filled with far less newsworthy updates until spring/summer time. Football is also off for a little bit longer so updates on the guys won't be coming in for a little while. Not that BBall isn't important, but football gets the noise around these parts, so I think it'll all pick up soon enough. 

+2 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

BINGO! Good post. I visit just as often, but not for as long due to the items you mentioned. Honestly, forum topics havent been all that interesting lately. Again, due to the items you mentioned above. I have to admit I have recruiting fatigue and do not care much for the 2015 news right now. That will change as Spring ball hits full swing and summer visits increase.

+3 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

I'm not a fan of the new format. Fonts seem overly large and there seems to be an inordinate amount of white space.

However, that hasn't stopped me from visiting and posting any less than I normally do.

+2 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

The jury is still out. I'm on less. I still cruise by, but don't delve as deeply, nor comment as much. I'm not sure if this is the same for others. The staff may have previous numbers (site visits, and such) for previous years during this time period, to know whether the numbers are down. Still love 11W, but it doesn't occupy as much of my time these days.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

Run_Fido_Run's picture

If staff really wanted to over-complicate things - hey, it is the off season - an even better way to gauge might be to sort of retroactively make projections for late Feb. 2014 (three weeks after NSD) and see how actual traffic compares to those numbers. Because, yeah, looking at actual late Feb. 2014 traffic compared to actual late Feb. 2013 traffic is more helpful than comparing late Feb. 2014 traffic to Nov. 2013 traffic (during football season) or even early Feb. 2013 traffic, but 11W keeps growing every month. The numbers could be up a bit from last winter and yet not be up as much as they would have been without the format switch.

But obviously I'm way over-thinking it because part of me is still emotionally attached to the old ways.

Nicholas Jervey's picture

There are several sites out there that measure and break down other sites' traffic. If anyone wants to look up this site's traffic, all they have to do is go a-googlin'. Here are my heart-felt convictions about analyzing traffic stats:

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

You feelings about analyzing traffic stats is that you would !&# the #^*& out of 'em? Oh Wait, maybe that's the response I am getting from the image you posted.

+4 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

What's sad is I'm starting to forget the little things that made the old site so good.  I continue to use and enjoy the new site.  Probably a little less frequent than before, but I try not to bitch too much...  it is what it is.   This time of year makes everything seem a bit more sucky I would imagine.

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

It does seem that there are a lot fewer forums and blogs started.  Not sure if it's the new layout or the removal of helmet stickers for starting.....I miss the forums that had -43 stickers and the posts that followed.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+9 HS
KBonay's picture

I tend to agree.  With no upvoting (or down) a topic, we are seeing far less.  Folks are actually searching to find thread to post in rather than start a new topic.  I, for one, applaud this.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

IT'S SIMPLY TOO DAMN COLD TO POST!

+3 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I personally still use the site about the same at work, but I don't visit as much on my phone.  It is tougher to navigate through the site on a cell phone.  I do miss the column on the side that showed the recent comments from posters.

+2 HS
redfox's picture

Still trying to learn how to use the new site guess I am a slow learner and I also miss the column on the side that showed the recent comments.

ohiowhitesnake's picture

I comment less now, but still visit a few times a day. My main issue is the iPad seems to freeze up, but I have no issue with my new iPhone. 

psibuck's picture

I'm relatively new to posting here, but that said, I like the new format.  For me though, it's more than the content or format of the site that keeps me coming back....it's the members/posters...hands down the friendliest group of fans congregated on the interwebs in support of The Ohio State University. 

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Check for yourself...  https://www.quantcast.com/elevenwarriors.com

You can see the offseason dips but overall 11w is stronger than its ever been in the offseason. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

It looks like visits are down, but users are not.  This is also rather normal.

The only thing that consistently lowers traffic is Christmas.

AndyVance's picture

This may be something of a contrarian viewpoint, but I seem to recall that at the time I started posting here, helmet stickers were a new thing and we were having many of the same discussions, namely that helmet stickers (and more importantly the quest for helmet stickers) was changing the dynamic of the site and the community aspect. I even recall that many of the folks at the top of the sticker leaderboard at that time said that they weren't commenting as much, in many cases because helmet stickers engendered a sort of hivemind.

Anyway, my point is just that change pretty typically leads to these types of discussions and probably leads to some percentage of audience turnover. I do miss seeing some of those "old timers" who were still on the site when I started but who you don't see around much any more. But I'm pretty good with the site at this point - the Premium Wire was a vast improvement, even if it didn't quite replicate the functionality of the Tracker.

+4 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

PSIBUCK, I agree with you on that.  While there are a few dicks in every crowd, the Eleven Warriors commentariat is without a doubt the best online Ohio State fan community I have found.  The staff and their writing doesn't take a back seat to anyone either.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Seattle Linga's picture

DJ is that a selfie?

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

It can't be, there is no Natty Light or Skittles in that pic.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

The tie is a dead give-away that this is not, indeed, a selfie.

USMC11917's picture

I think some things have been tinkered with. For the longest time the site looked like it had enormous pictures on it and all of the Buckshots and recent posts were at the bottom of 12 mouse scroll screen. Things appear different now but admittedly, I didn't take this change very well. I still read occasionally but I don't check as often as I used to. The content is still good but the re is something to be said for simplicity and streamline.

+2 HS
MichiganBuckeye222's picture

im just not a fan of the new site....not sure why, but maybe it has to do with change, and I am an old fart?

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+3 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I like it

I suppose that would make me a new fart...

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

I've had issues but I've tried to bite my tongue while the staff works the bugs out - silent fart

+3 HS

i've bit my tongue too....partly because i don't pay these guys a dime....

When my bozo friends used to complain about the Facebook changes, i used to tell them to  request their money back.

www.septemberheisman.com

+3 HS

i've bit my tongue too....partly because i don't pay these guys a dime....

When my bozo friends used to complain about the Facebook changes, i used to tell them to  request their money back.

www.septemberheisman.com

Buckeyebrowny919's picture

I believe it is just offseason. I know it sounds weird, but in terms of posts I think it is an adjustment period to feel home again on 11w. My visits to the website, on the otherhand, have definitely not decreased

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I think I am on here as much as I was last year at this time. Kind of the slow time of the year football wise. As for this new site, I do like it. Still getting use to checking in using my smart phone, but I am getting a new phone in days, so I will get to start over and get use to the new site again. The new site works fine on my pc.

+1 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

I know I go to this site a lot less, I was always lazy on the old site and never looked up old forums to post on, I liked the toolbar on the side that would shoot a forum to the top that had the most recent comment.  I especially never go on my phone anymore as the screen is always messed up and won't ever let me sign in etc etc so that's disappointing but overall I like the new sites layout, I just find myself visiting less and commenting less.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

I'm sure some of it is apprehension to the functionality of, as well as nagging bugs with, the new site.  I'm still adjusting, but I find that the more I use the site, the more I start to get the hang of it.  Like any big change, it takes time to adjust -- and even though this new site is a drastic improvement over the last, we're still habitually conditioned to the old site's layout, which is making it hard for some people to adjust.  

The loss of the "Recent Comments" section has been contributing a bit, since it not only told you what conversations were taking place, but where the "hot spots" of the site were.  Granted, it wasn't anywhere near perfect -- I used it in conjunction with the auto-updating forum list on the front page -- but I think that bringing it back could help to assuage this issue.  Perhaps, instead of a scrolling list, there was a smaller box, displaying a slideshow of the first ~100 characters of the last 10 comments in block quote format, with the user and and thread displayed as well?

Couple that with the fact that we're in the depths of a (relatively) lackluster basketball season and a (relatively) slow part of the recruiting cycle, and it's pretty easy to see why commenting seems down.  Give it a few months and everything will be back to normal.

Personally, I'm commenting less because it feels like the overall discourse has been a bit down lately (most likely due to the aforementioned reasons).  I peruse the forums quite a bit, I just haven't seen much that's really drawn me to comment.

+4 HS
buckz4evr's picture

Up until now, I have been posting less because I couldn't post using my Windows phone. Looks like they fixed that issue so thanks guys. The other reason is, as others have stated, it's a slow time of year. Just not much going on that catches my interest. I do visit just as often, though.

InvertMyVeer's picture

By the time the season rolls around we should be used to the new site. There's some features that I love, like the reply notification on the user profile and that sexy new premium lounge with all of those [CENSORED 11W PREMIUM CONTENT]. 

+1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I keep hearing about this premium lounge. At the rate i'm accumulating helmet stickers, i feel i'm on pace to gain access priviledges hopefully by the time Urban wins us our third national championship.

+2 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

First we have to get you voting privileges (100 stickers), here's one to help you out. Just keep adding to the commentary and you'll get there soon enough.

The Clean North's picture

I guess I just have to get used to it. I will say though I used to be on here for about 30 mins to an hour a day now it is more like 5 to 10 minutes. 

Barnsey69's picture

There is a new format? Huh, seems like a bunch of Buckeye fans shooting the shit same as always so I'm good.

Go Bucks!

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

+3 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

I don't comment here as much since I started a new job where I can't blog most of the day. Moreover,  the new blog just seems like over kill with the management and setup of topics. Not a fan of the new site.  I've been blogging at Tigerdroppings a lot more so that probably factors into my decline.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

THIS IS OFF TOPIC (AND IN ALL CAPS TO GET NOTICED): WHEN A NEW COMMENT IS POSTED...THE "NEW" PIC IN THE AVATAR IS UPSIDE DOWN!!!! just a heads up

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

Oyster's picture

Are you sure?  I have never noticed that?  Anyone else seeing what he is describing?

+2 HS

Jason Priestas's picture

What version of IE is that?

IE 8. I only use it at work because we have integrated systems that take forever to patch with new roll outs of internet explorer. I've notice the upside down "new" and sometimes peoples pictures on their profile page show up HUGE and cut off the pic.

Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. We're working on IE8 bugs right now.

MN Buckeye's picture

I like seeing which staff post under the Buckshots section now. It seems like DJ posts tons of articles, and his always-entertaining snarky style is great, especially when he is excited about something.

During the off-season, I look forward to threads about beer and whiskey. I hope this next couple of months will include threads about vodka, gin, and particularly rum (generally Bacardi gold for me, thank you). I have noticed the Premium lounge is not quite as busy these days.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

I don't like it.  I'm on it quite a bit less.  You took what was the best, most professional looking, quickest loading, bug free website in the entire sports universe and made it into a bad windows 8 nightmare. I still love you guys and I am greatful for the skull sessions, I just enjoy them less.

vitaminB's picture

I don't like it.  I'm on it quite a bit less.  You took what was the best, most professional looking, quickest loading, bug free website in the entire sports universe and made it into a bad windows 8 nightmare. I still love you guys and I am greatful for the skull sessions, I just enjoy them less.

OfficerRabbit's picture

Even though I don't comment often, "Active in the Forum" section was by far my favorite feature of the old site. I've gone from probably 1hr a day to maybe 10-15 minutes on the site, the discussions just aren't the same as they used to be. It's still my favorite Buckeye site, just seems to be more emphasis on news and less on conversation and community. 

DJ Byrnes's picture

u mean something like this that's acquired by merely clicking the "FORUM" tab?

Seattle Linga's picture

DJ - I don't know how serious you can take Officer Rabbit's comments - his comment came from left field

Knarcisi's picture

I'm warming back up. Bad hoops and boner threads ...

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Could the number of visitors to 11W be related to the number of Ramzy articles? Is it me or is he around less? No disrespect to the rest of the writers of 11W, but Ramzy is da shit.(to be clear, I mean that in a totally good way)

toad1204's picture

Hopefully we get a Situational for the Spring Game.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Another thing could be that there's no football, the basketball team is not too good, and it's sort of a slow time for recruiting. 11W is gonna be fine. Wait for September.

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS