Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Dear Power Users

Jason Priestas's picture
February 23, 2014 at 9:53pm
87 Comments

It took me a while to get my head around the concept of the disconnect between front page and user content, but I think we now have something that will help (Note: You must be logged in to see this page).

Are we in the same area code?

jeremytwoface's picture

Caught the tail end of an episode of this show..... Seems good.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

hodge's picture

My favorite show on television currently.  Superbly written and really good character development.

Unky Buck's picture

What show, if I may ask? I haven't been watching all that much TV and even have all of the episodes of True Detective to watch (DVR is wonderful). Could use a couple new shows to get into.

hodge's picture

BBC's Sherlock.  Benedict Cumberbatch stars as the titular character, and Martin Freeman as Watson.  So far, they've done three seasons with three episodes apiece (all 90 minutes), and it's really compelling stuff.  Not as deep as some other shows, perhaps, but it's just a damn good time.

True Detective seems phenomenal, I've only caught one episode so far, I take it it's living up to the hype?

Unky Buck's picture

I have no idea yet. I started watching episode 1 but had to get up early for a morning run (training for the Cap City Half) so I went to bed early. My roommate has been raving about it but I just haven't had time to sit down and watch it yet. Hopefully I'll get there soon enough, but I still need to catch up on several shows so who knows at this point. But from everything I've heard, the show is one of the best, if not the best, show on TV right now.

Whoa Nellie's picture

About Sherlock, I'm with you, Hodge.  It's on the PBS Mystery series.  Understand they have agreed to do another year.  Probably won't be aired until January, 2015.

I would highly recommend giving Greg Kinnear's series "Rake" a shot.  You can watch the 1st 4 episodes on free Hulu, here:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/587285#i0,p0,d0

Airs Thursday night on FOX.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

Poison nuts's picture

Sorry to just jump in here, but I'm going to go ahead & do just that & mention that True Detective is an absolutely amazing show. Everything about it is pretty damn stellar, but the role of detective Rustin Cohle as played by McConaughey is some the finest acting I've seen. Also, whoever writes the stuff, give that person an award. Watch it Hodge!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

jeremytwoface's picture

True Detective is freaking amazing... Such a good show with brilliant acting.

I started watching Sherlock on Netflix and they only have the first 2 seasons on there so that's as far as I've gotten... Need to wait to until they have the next season on to continue.

It's one of my favorites so far... I really like the show Elementary on CBS and I think I like Sherlock better.

el duderino's picture

I love this concept! Is there/will there be a direct link to this somewhere other than this post?

Or is it like Fight Club: The first rule of Premium Content is you don't direct link to Premium Content?

Also, Jason, kudos on the new site. I like it more and more every day!

"This is a very complicated case: a lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what-have-yous."

+2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Echo the question about double secret premium link.

It would be sort of cool if there was like a secret place to click on the site that wasn't marked by any icon or photo --- just like a secret active link buried somewhere to the side of the regular content that took you over to the premium club lounge. 

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Happy to hear it's helping to bridge some of that gap. My initial thought was not to put a link to that page anywhere and leave it up to you guys as to whether you wanted to let the plebes know. What do you guys think?

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

That's fine by me ... I went ahead and set it up as a "favorite" on my browser so I can just use that to refresh the list ..... thanks again

BammBammRiley's picture

Love it. I put a shortcut on my home screen on my phone and all other devices will follow! Thanks Jason

BammBamm is my dog, Riley is my 4 yr old daughter, and THE Ohio state Buckeyes complete the three most sacred loves I cherish

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Love the concept - thanks.  I'm sure we'll all have more feedback as the days go by.  The quick reaction to user concerns is just another reason why this site is so great.

As an aside, I'm thinking the 50k helmet sticker threshold is going to be broken more quickly than any of us realized.

+1 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

What would a real helmet look like with 50K stickers on it?  I bet the wearer of it would have no worries for concussion.  They'd have 6" of stickers and a helmet that touched the guys lined up on the left and right of them.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The serious answer is that they probably wouldn't be able to lift their heads under that much weight.

chitown buckeye's picture

You better not be fooling.....

"I'm having a heart attack!"

Swayze's picture

I didn't receive my 11w recruiting magazine last month......what's up with that?

+1 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Jason,

I  like this.  Yet I still see plenty of white space (firefox viewer) under that "recent Posts" section that just SCREAMS for "recent comments" section.  Jes' sayin'.

Like the upgrade. Good job.

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

chuck norris doesnt get an upvote, an upvote gets chuck norris

O-H!

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

That is perfect, well done.

Football is complicated...

Hovenaut's picture

It's on now...

+3 HS
BammBammRiley's picture

I'm in!!!!! I made it!!! I see the premium content... confused because I had over 400 stickers to go.

Just briliant.

BammBamm is my dog, Riley is my 4 yr old daughter, and THE Ohio state Buckeyes complete the three most sacred loves I cherish

OSUStu's picture

Meanwhile in the Premium Lounge...

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Great to see pistol monkey again ... I hadn't heard from him since the new site was launched.  Always gets a little nuts when he starts firing off rounds around company ... but it's all in good fun.  I mean it's a monkey carrying a pistol .. it has to be awesome.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

He winged my shoulder once but it was hilarious. Love that guy.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Thanks Jason!
It will be our little secret.

Buckeyeneer's picture

<Tear> . . . . It's so . . . . beautiful . . . .

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

I'm so happy, I'm going to . . .

Elaine dances like this in the Premium Lounge on the hour, every hour.

have a seizure?

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Crimson, we need you to be a little more subdued in the Premium Lounge. You're making the other members cry and then cry again.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

I suppose I could pass out Elaine's Christmas Card instead.  Wait, I can't find it.  Will this do?

Seinfeld - The Christmas Card (The Nipple)

Unky Buck's picture

She'll just have to show everyone personally...

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

Only in the Premium Lounge.  Everyone else will have to look at this instead.

Nooo!  Steensn, please look away!

Mouseover for Steensn joke.

+4 HS
AndyVance's picture

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. Not quite the tracker of our youth, but this looks like a much needed tool for use "old timers" who've been around the Cantina for a while. Thanks Jason, and keep up the great work.

+2 HS
Remy's picture

Jason, I cannot imagine the undertaking it is to run this site. Thank you for your hard work and creating that link a great first step. Two more suggestions.

Two things that I'm really missing/wanting back:
1) The Tracker on the "My Account" page. The Tracker was one of the most important tools...ever. Made it so easy to continue "conversations". I understand a few people used it to downvote others, but I believe the vast majority used the Tracker for its intended purpose. Please don't punish the masses because a small minority abused it.

2) Original Post Upvote/Downvote
Why was this taken away? I won't lie, getting upvotes for a blog post or forum post is a motivator for me. I typically put several hours into my blog posts. Since I'm being honest, I used to write a weekly college football column that was carried by 1-3 Central Ohio newspapers (2005-2009). I stopped writing when my second child arrived. After a couple of years away, I decided that this site was the perfect place to make my comeback and share information with dedicated Ohio State fans. I stated it before and I'm serious about it "Money is overrated. Will work for upvotes."

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+3 HS
bedheadjc's picture

First top of page banner seen on the 11Wire: Catheter Supplies.

Is that an omen?

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I am speechless.

previous comments echo my sentiments.  

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

11W Premium...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Oops - Double post...

VestedInterest's picture

My comfort level with this velvetly roped off area is only exceeded by my age.

+1 HS
Nappy's picture

Yes

Fan of bacon since 1981

kramalanj's picture

" A full tank, half a pack of cigarettes"... and plenty to read.

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I once was parched but I no longer thirst. 

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is brilliant... 

Thank's Jason!

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I think you forgot to have the page check helmet sticker counts to ensure that a user has access to such premium content.  And if you don't, it just gives you a picture of a janitor's closet and a dirty toilet...

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

If only it made people stop bitching about "Recent Comments", then it would be perfect. You are a man of the people Jason, don't let anyone say otherwise.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

-1 HS
JACKTATUMSFOREARM's picture

Maybe you could put a link to this at the top. To the right of the "forum" link?

Earle's picture

First off, thank you Jason for your responsiveness in addressing our inarticulate whining over this issue. This is outstanding. If I may be so bold as to make one additional suggestion/request/impassioned plea: Add the author of the most recent comment. That would really turn this thing up to 11, which seems appropriate. With that tweak, you will never hear me whine about Recent Comments again!

P.S. Although I have this bookmarked, I'd love to see a link to this somewhere on the sidebar (or elsewhere).  I'm indifferent as to whether or not it is hidden/secret.

Italics are for emphasis.

+10 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

We can probably do that, but I'll have to circle back on this one.

Crimson's picture

I'm not one who needed recent comments, so I don't need who last bumped a thread.  However, I like the new article page, so I'm wondering if you could also add Football/Basketball/Recruiting instead of just Article/Forum Topic (Buckshot has never had this but ideally it could as well).  Many titles are not self explanatory.

Jdadams01's picture

I love you, Jason.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

This really does save the site. I can look at the front page a couple times a day and use this to stay on top of the discussion. Once the scrolling issue on mobile is handled, I'll have a 5 star review ready. Thanks for putting up with us and making such a vast improvement 

+2 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
Doc's picture

Thanks Jason.  Membership does have its privledges.

"Say my name."

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

I'm in, and I love what you guys are cooking in the premium lounge.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

osu07asu10's picture

This is awesome, the premium lounge has a website home!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

So this is going on the front page?

Edit: I guess I don't understand if/how this is different from the "Active Topics" forum tab

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

It includes staff articles and user content. It also makes a shortcut to that. Less hoops to jump through. 

+5 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

We have a premium club member questioning the premium club lounge / wire implementation - proceed at your discretion.

+1 HS
buckeyefanatic's picture

LIKE.

Do something about the URL though.  the-wire?  how about simply 11wire, thewire or something without the special character?  Or just wire.elevenwarriors.com but I support that messes with your www hostname analytics.  I know this might be bookmarked for many but for myself, I will be typing int he URL directly at times and something without a whole new page of keyboard would be nice.

How many batteries does it take to beat Michigan football?   1AA
Want to beat Michigan? There's an App for that.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Good point, but any modern browser, whether mobile, tablet or desktop, will autocomplete for you once you get to elevenwarriors.com/th, right?

buckeyefanatic's picture

Excellent point.  As long as I have been on that browser/client before.  As a former IT nerd who had hands on keyboard on a lot of different servers, I would find myself visiting 11w as a way to pass the time between reboots or patch cycles.  Not that I should be browsing in those situations but I do.  A pretty narrow use case I am describing. 

Now that I made all most of my passwords unique and high security, I guess I will only be browsing content that allows public view.  (unless I am on one of my regular devices!)

How many batteries does it take to beat Michigan football?   1AA
Want to beat Michigan? There's an App for that.

BUCKfutter's picture

fantastic jason! wunderbar

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

PittBuckeye's picture

That's a lot better.

BucksfanXC's picture

I really have a hard time finding a link to this thing every time I want to view it, if you guys are hell bent on this secretive, premium lounge thing, can we hide the link in like the copyright info down at the bottom of the page or something, I just would to see it linked on the front page when I open the site.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

brandonbauer87's picture

Pro tip: Pin this link to your home screen on mobile or favorite the page on PC. 

BucksfanXC's picture

I've done that on mobile, don't want to do that on my work PC (first world problems, I know) but it would be nice to just anytime I get on 11w from anywhere, it would be there.

brandonbauer87's picture

Just comment on this thread once a day. Boom. Shortcut. 

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

Or perhaps in the We're stretching and you're a kicker quote?

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+5 HS
Earle's picture

That is actually a very cool idea.

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Found the password to the secret room beneath the Premium Lounge.  Ran into Hodge and Earle down there sampling a glass of private label small batch whiskey.  Earle was mumbling something about recent comments until Hove came out of the shadows with a full tray of pan-seared lamb chops with cippolini onions for a nice snack.   It was pretty laid back until Squirrel Master came down ranting about Bert making another douchebag comment down in Arkansas.  Anyways, thought you'd want to know.  Hint:  password is tattooed on Hoke's ass... Shouldn't be hard to find, he shows it way too often. 

Earle's picture

Lies. All lies. Hove never shares food.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

The lounge bathroom has been a mess since Hail hasn't been around. Truly disappointing. 

Crimson's picture

Hint:  password is tattooed on Hoke's ass...

Funny.  I didn't know "password" was tattooed on Hoke's ass.  Then again, my password to the premium lounge came in my monthly newsletter.  I think BuckeyeVsTheWorld has been messing with you newbies again.

Whoa Nellie's picture

A couple of dozen pounds ago, the tattoo on Hoke's ass read:  "PASS".   He's had to add on to fill up the space.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
Phillips.449's picture

Love it!  Thank you Jason!

hodge's picture

Okay.  Let me preface this by saying that I love "The Wire" and it's definitely a great step in the right direction.

I was just commenting on another thread, and realized that the loss of the "Recent Comments" on the front page has hurt the discourse of the site (granted, it's a combination of many things), since it's much more difficult to track where the "hot discussions" are, and what's really being said.

That said, I wonder if there's not a way that a small box could be added to the front page that combines the features of "11Wire" and a "Recent Comments" box: perhaps, instead of a list, a scrolling "slideshow" of sorts could be employed to display the first ~100 characters or so of the 10 most recent comments, along with the user who wrote them, and the thread they were featured in?  That way we don't just know what's being said (a la the old "Recent Comments" section), but who's saying it and where (a la "11Wire").

Just a thought; but I think it might go a long way toward improving the very aspect that made the old site so great: the superb discourse and community.

+1 HS
Phoenix824's picture

I would turn that into my mobile home page.    The current home page does not work on my Samsung G3 yet.    I have spent less time here since the change due to the gyrations it took to get logged in on my phone.     This looks great on the phone though there are still a few bugs in it but less that the 11W home page