Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

New 11W Site: Your True Feelings?

Run_Fido_Run's picture
February 20, 2014 at 9:31am
167 Comments

For several years now, 11W has been among the very best sports blogs, period. Excellent reporting and writing - funny, hip, incisive, well-rounded. The commentariat here is smarter and classier than what are found at 98-percent of other blogs.

So, I love 11W, but I must admit that I'm not sure about the new site "platform." It runs very slowly on my mobile device. The site looks pretty and new, but navigating the site and reading articles can give me a headache. In general, the image-box heavy front page taxes my mental processing capabilities. Of course, I'm from Gen-X, so I'm already a dinosaur.

Are there any other dinosaurs like me who get cognitively frazzled when interacting with the new platform and/or have issues with mobile devices? I'll happily respond to comments in the thread so that I can take my DVs without shirking.

Mortc15's picture

I agree the mobile capabilities of the site are extremely slow and/or lacking at times. I've actually stopped searching the site on my phone altogether because of it. The PC version I'm getting used to. As always, it's just a change that takes time to get to used to, but the mobile issue is definitely a big.

Buck-I4Life

+5 HS
TBDBITL0509's picture

Agreed. I like the way the site looks on my desktop PC, but I hate trying to scroll this site on my phone. I only check on mobile for headlines now, then I check back later when I can sit down at my desk and actually read it. On mobile, you miss all the stuff on the side like hot articles and forum posts. 

+3 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

It's growing on me more everyday, as I expected it would. Granted I was not one of the howling voices of dissent when the change was first made, but I think when a couple of more bugs are worked out (my phone has some trouble with the site as well, and bring back Recent Comments instead of Most Commented), it will be an improvement on pretty much all fronts.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

It loads slow on my PC, so it's not just a mobile issue.  The drop down for logging in is aggravating on a PC also.

+2 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

No offense, but couldn't this have been posted in one of the 30 or 40 other "issues with the new site" threads? I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinion, but I feel like this has been talked about ad nauseam since the new site went live. I would be more appreciative  of your comment if you were making a suggestion as to how we could make the new site better, but just saying it makes your phone run slow isn't adding anything new. I understand what you're saying about the site being picture heavy, but thats what the kids now a days like, so thats what we get. All in all, its probably the pictures that make the site load slow, but the pictures likely aren't going anywhere, so we all just need to suck it up and get used to it. The site is still spectacular, and it still has all the great reporting and witty comments, so my advice to you is to roll with the changes and simply continue enjoying the best site on the web.

+3 HS
Earle's picture

Maybe we could make FIRE FICKELL!! a code name for site complaint threads.  Jason says we can have as many of those as we want.

Italics are for emphasis.

+9 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Well played good sir! If I had enough helmet stickers you would be receiving a +1 from me. Someone upvote this man, he is both a gentleman and a scholar! 

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

You don't know him very well, do you?

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

...he is both a gentleman and a scholar! 

He's also really old and cranky.

Oyster's picture

Would you be up for a blind date?  I know it is kinda soon, but think about it.  The fine young curler from Canada, Miss Lawes, looks to be quite a catch.  Also, Canada is obviously much closer to the 'City that you rent'*, so dates would be easier.  Think about it and let me know if you want me to hook you up.

* I live in an apartment in the city that I rent (Why do you rent a city?)

Unky Buck's picture

* I live in an apartment in the city that I rent (Why do you rent a city?)

Blame the writers, man...blame the writers.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

I just figured you were really rich and I was going to offer to be your friend.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Well, I am. Not nearly as rich as old man Earle who makes it rain on strippers on a daily basis but I got me some Dee Liner money. I always like to buy, err, i mean welcome new friends.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

This probably could have been simply one comment in one of the early "new site" threads, but I haven't been able to visit 11W as frequently the last few weeks, so I missed any other similar threads/comments - sorry for any redundancies. I've only seen effusive praise for the new site. I thought I was being a bold dissident and stuff, but apparently not. 

I didn't just say, though, that the new site makes my phone run slow. I said that it gives me a headache, which was just as glib. Self deprecation aside, even if the "picture heavy" format is a trend and the kids like it, etc., there will be better and worse versions of that trend/format. They must overcome certain limitations that go along with that format - whereas a text heavy site would have to overcome the tendency toward plainness and boringness, etc., this approach has to overcome the tendency toward visual clutter and being disorienting, etc. As we all know from grade school. some collages are really cool and some are big bewildering messes. I'm not saying that new 11W is a mess, but I'm not sure that it's exactly inviting either. My impressions of the new site might be wrong and/or petty, but the topic of how readers/viewers interact with formats is obviously important to those who run websites/blogs - i.e., they site will be "judged" by consumers no matter what we say or how sympathetic we are to the awesome 11W staff.       

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

One could also look at it as a chance to have an uncluttered thread that allows people to address the forum change once they have had a chance to get over the initial growing pains.  The comments now will probably be about very specific issues.

+2 HS
Ole Buckeye's picture

I would just tell you that: 1. this is the first time I have been on the site for more than 15 seconds since it was re-done and

2. the only reason I stuck with it today was to make a comment about the site.  It's new, it's exciting, it's more millenial friendly, all of the above.  But it doesn't work for me. So Sorry because I love your content so freaking much!

+3 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

There are still some kinks, but I like it well enough. It takes time getting used to anything new and this is no exception. The ads and the large pictures already doesn't bother me anymore. The scrolling on iPhone is an issue and I know they are still working on it so I'll continue to wait patiently for that to get fixed.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
CC's picture

It takes time getting used to anything new and this is no exception.

I will never get used to a slow site.  I will simply use it/contribute less.

Every day I come on the site and am reminded that it's slow.  Navigating from page to page, posting, searching, everything.

MackHall400Series's picture

Even the younger generation can get frustrated with change.  Just look at every single time Facebook has updated over the years.  People lashing out, boycotting the site, constantly complaining about the new features, etc.  Now those people can't live without the changes.  But at the end of the day, the people in charge know what needs to be done and what direction the site needs to be heading.  In due time, I'm sure you'll come around to liking the site and wondering how you ever lived with the previous version.

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

But at the end of the day, the people in charge know what needs to be done and what direction the site needs to be heading.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way. Something like 9/10 new businesses fail.

When well-established businesses introduce new products, many of those fail as well, although at lower rates than "start up" businesses. Some of the smartest and most creative, experienced and business-savvy professionals have tried new ideas that were brutally rejected by consumers. All of their previous successes ultimately did not matter when it came time to "test" the new product in the marketplace. Creative destruction and all that. Much of the time the people in charge aren't really sure what to do. They make wagers and hope they pay off.

+9 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I am having no issues on my pc with the new site. The new site on my phone seems a bit cumbersome, but i expect some tweaks by the staff will improve things.

brandonbauer87's picture

I still don't like it but it does function a little better on my phone than it did at launch.  I'm not old or afraid of change, I just don't care for it. I'm trying to be patient and have a little confidence in Jason. The content is still great, and that can't be overlooked.  The navigation is definitely frustrating.

+5 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Getting used to it, but definitely liked the older version more

+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I'll give merit to the mobile site being slow but the most aggravating part is all of the threads complaining about the new site

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Honestly, I missed all of the threads complaining about the new site, but I commenting here so that I can rack up some deserved DVs - ignorance is no excuse.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

No DVs from me Fido...I'm trying to play nice on the new site! In fact, here is a UV!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

Whoa Nellie's picture

At first I was like . . .

But now, I'm like . . .

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+18 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

That is fantastic!  Great work

Hovenaut's picture

I've struggled on mobile as well - though my smartphone is a dinosaur.

I'm good on PC's. I'll miss the old site, but understand the changes are necessary and think it bodes well down the road.

Give it time, I think it'll be worth it.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

I see you have a new updated icon to go with the new site.  A hipper, trendier Fred Sanford

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

They gave me a hat, it does wonders for the bedhead.

Buckeyeneer's picture

I recently read a comment about change and it made me think of this site:

People want improvements and are eager for newer and better. However, people also resist change. The key is to find the balance of dragging people through change at a pace they can tolerate.

There are no answers there but I just thought I would share.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

Run_Fido_Run's picture

Don't get me wrong. I'm really fascinated by that type of social analysis - e.g. the individual and/or mass psychology of how people react to change - and I'm perfectly willing to put my own silly little reactions up as exhibit #142,399.

It's just that, in the process of web designers, bloggers, media folks figuring out what the balance will be going forward, a lot of them will fail, individually. Yes, en masse, the "industry" will find the right balance by which non-dinosaur media consumers thrive while dinosaurs like me can at least muddle through (and eventually get comfortable with the formats), but many designers will end up having to learn from the successful examples.

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

I prefer the "old" 11 Warriors… I've given the new site a fair amount of time, but in my opinion it was change for change sake alone. There was no reason for it. That happens a lot now days - change for change sake. There was nothing broken or wrong with the previous site. As a matter of fact, the old platform was clean, user friendly and uncluttered. Just one man's opinion… 

+16 HS
Nicholas Jervey's picture

The new format isn't change for change's sake. Something Jason has tried to be clear about is that in large part Project Tatum was an upgrade for the staff, something to make publishing easier and more effective. Those are improvements that aren't visible on the user end, but are definitely present. For example, each time I upload a photo for an article it saves me a minute or two because it's much easier to resize, crop, and make other changes to it, and I uploaded a few hundred photos last year.

The old format wasn't as clean as you remember. On the user side, the biggest visual differences would be the elimination of white space on the edges of the screen and more photos on the front page and articles. Generally speaking, those are good visual design practices. 

Neither you nor anyone else are not obligated to like the changes, but it would be nice if people who object to the website's new design -- and believe me, I have been annoyed by ESPN.com redesigns 4-5 times -- would keep in mind that there is good reason for it, and it can take weeks to get used to a good design you initially can't stand.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

kmp10's picture

I didn't say this in my initial post because, well, this is a free site, so in many ways what I'm about to say will ring hallow… but in the interest of conversation here we go. My distinct impression, before reading any of the replies from staff specific to the format change, was that these changes had to have been made for the benefit of the staff because I just didn't see the benefit to the user. To me, this is backwards. Change, if any is made, should be of at least as much benefit to the user as to the developer. This redesign, seemingly, was done primarily for the staff and with less consideration to the user. Many of the replies I've read from the staff on these threads state how much easier the new format is for you, and how much time it saves you. That's great… but in my opinion the previous version was a better, cleaner and more user friendly product for the end user. When I sold software solutions to hospitals and state governments many years ago, changes made were done in the name of improving the product for the user… not so that the developers had an easier time of it. Now, I was in a for profit business and the "product" was priced anywhere from 250k to several million dollars, so I'm not sure I'm comparing apples to apples here.

At the end of the day, and as I said above, I'm still visiting multiple times a day. I still love and enjoy the site and the community… but the new look is a downgrade from THIS end users perspective. I'll make an Ohio State football uniform analogy: I think the regular uni's worn last season were very sharp… but I also thought the 2013 uni was a downgrade from the last several years. Small changes Nike made, de-emphasizing the black and stressing the white on the pants for e.g., I simply didn't care for. I still think the Buckeyes have a sharp uniform, but it was much better before Nike "fixed" what wasn't broken.

+4 HS
Crimson's picture

I have to ask: did you design for the hospital or the patients?  The developers created the design for the staff, and we are merely being treated with relevant and wonderful Buckeye content.

Josh P's picture

It's so hard to be mad at you for your opinion when you present it so damn respectfully.  

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Change, if any is made, should be of at least as much benefit to the user as to the developer.

Any changes that benefits the developer benefits the user.  This is a free website.  Most of the staff members produce their content for free or for cheap (those that are paid most likely have other full time jobs, except probably Kyle since this is his full time job).  Any enhancement that improves their productivity will also enhance the quality and quantity of the content that they produce, which is a huge gain for the reader.  

If you worked a full time job and wrote 3 articles for 11W per week (without being paid), and they rolled out a change that cuts down the time it takes you to publish an article by 33%, then you can now contribute 4 articles per week.  And that makes users like me happy.

Also, the new format is way better, and Jason is actively working on bringing back features that the Community wanted from the old design.  So the only valid complaint left on the table is the "flashiness" of the site...  which for me isn't a big deal and I actually like it.

+2 HS
Jdadams01's picture

This is actually backwards. Yes, this is a free site, but what keeps it running is page-views. If the end user experience deteriorates, page-views drop. Meaning less revenue for the site and eventually less content.

TheBadOwl's picture

Seriously? Another one of these threads?

My biggest problem with the new website is all of the threads about how everyone misses the old site.

The new design is awesome. It's a big change, and big changes are never easy, but the staff has done a great job on this, and they're working hard to get the issues ironed out. The content isn't changing, and the community, despite some being a bit disgruntled right now, is also the same awesome community that we all know and love.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

CC's picture

So you're totally fine with the new site?  If so just don't click on the thread.

I on the other hand find myself not wanting to come here because it is so slow.  I'm not sure about the architecture of the site, but there are ways to fix slow.  It's been about a month and it isn't any faster.  I'm pretty ambivalent about the changes, though I haven't seen the big benefit yet.  The speed thing is a killer.

Remember myspace.com?  What was the failure?  Speed.

Jason Priestas's picture

There are scrolling issues with mobile Safari, but other than that, site speed is about what it was with the old version.

Also, the new site launched exactly two weeks ago today, so remind me to take every estimate from you and chop it in half. :)

CC's picture

Jason - My bad on the month, I'm in IT and I realize that is unfair, i did think it was a month though.  With that said, my speed issues aren't with scrolling.  When I click "Save" on this message it will take at least 4 seconds (8 seconds if you cut it in half :) ) to load the next page.  It's pretty consistant.  I lose concentration and end up opening a new window and going to a different site.

The thing 11W has going for which hasn't changed is content.  The board is good/cool/entertaining but I imagine the content was the initial draw for 95+% of the people who are here.

Jason Priestas's picture

Wow, I'm not seeing that at all. Anyone else?

What browser/OS? Also, where are you located and what type of connection are you on?

CC's picture

I'm 7 (office) and Vista (home) with ie 9.  IOS5 (home) with Safari

Home connection is 55mb, office is slow due to filters etc.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

My smartphone on 4G from inside an office building with poor reception does not take 4 to 8 seconds.  I'm wondering if your ISP has something to do with it.  Some ISP's are inherently laggy when it comes to uploading anything.  In my experience, the responsiveness on the new site is much better than the old.

Jason Priestas's picture

I think the root of this is we have some sluggishness in IE and some in mobile Safari. We're cranking on them and I hope that by fixing those two experiences it affects the speed mentioned by CC.

PAWEST1202's picture

I am indifferent on the layout. I believe it is just a matter of adjusting to change. The biggest problem that I have when accessing via my mobile deivces is that one in every three page changes doesn't load properly. The most common problem is that the page will not allow me to scroll down. I usually have to close the browser and reload the page to get it to work. I almost exclusivley access 11w through mobile devices so this is mildly irritating however if this is the only thing I have to complain about I consider it a first world problem

+1 HS
oh_dad55's picture

Nice polar bear gifs!  I'm still getting used to the site, and continue to enjoy the content.  I don't know whether it's my browser or something else, but many red "hyperlinks" in a line of text get overwritten by the words on each side of them so that I can't be sure what the words are.   

I have a worry that I'm missing articles and pages that I'd like to read.  Sometime's there is a link in the text of an article to another page that is worth reading, but that page didn't appear on any of the top or side bars.  I'd hate to miss any of the great articles that are out there.

Is there a place to report bugs?  

Oh_Dad

Hovenaut's picture

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Is there a place to suggest coaching changes, especially on the defensive side of the ball?

+9 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

As long as you limit the suggestions to certain former players that currently hold the title of co-defensive coordinator.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Your office is down the hall, sir.

I've arranged for a hat rack to be delivered. Feel free to keep that old box of headbands.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

My only real issue is scrolling through comments on my iPhone.  I dig the layout, and think that it organizes the site a heckuva lot better than it was previously.  While I miss the "recent comments" section, I think that all of these changes have been for the better.

The iPhone scrolling issue is a real killer, though; it almost makes the site unusable on my phone.

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I've been avoiding it on my phone a lot because it does frustrate me, but I check in once in awhile to see if it's fixed yet.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

It takes forever to scroll through a forum on my smart phone. Frustrating. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
Buck U's picture

I spend about 75% less time on 11W.  I have tried to give the new site a chance, but it's just not working for me.

+15 HS
Scott's picture

I'm in this camp. I almost exclusively use my phone for web browsing and the new site just isn't set up well for that. I love 11W and have spent a lot of time here, but I have spent markedly less here since the change.

Class of 2008

+2 HS
Doc's picture

I'm with ya.  I love 11W, but the navigation has caused me to do other things.  I think it is difficult to keep track of conversations, new content, etc...  I also won't read the comments on my ipad, ipod or iphone.  Way to frustrating.  It seems petty and a bit bratty complaining about free content, but I feel less involved and welcome than before.  I've lost the entire sense of community this place had just a few short weeks ago.

"Say my name."

Doc's picture

I'm sorry for the multiple multiple posts, but I just hit the  save button once.

"Say my name."

Earle's picture

Holy deja vu, Batman! I think there's a glitch in the Matrix!

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Either that, or Doc's got a nitrous leak in his office.

Seattle Linga's picture

I'll go with the latter

Doc's picture

Well, now that I think about it I have been happier lately.

"Say my name."

BucksfanXC's picture

I don't think we all could ever understand the need for the new site fully. Jason says it makes it infinitely easier for them to create the posts everyday, and I know they now post so much content that if it's easier then I'm glad for them as most if not all of them have full time jobs on top of this site and as much time as I spend here, I can only imagine creating the site/content and moderating it, etc. So we all need to remember that among other things. This site has grown exponentially over the years and it really was too big for the old site. Things like recent comments and stuff just don't work as they do for now that there are 100,000s of pageviews per day.

People forget or don't notice all the positive stuff either. Search function improved. You have mobile format at all now (work in progress still for iPhone, but still!) Stories up top will be a great feature during the season when there are tons of posts per day and instead of burying Ramzy's post, it can stay up there or on the most commented per week list instead of getting buried on the second page. Honestly, who ever went to the second page? It was basically lost forever once it got pushed down four or five stories in the past. Now we can have, especially on game days/weekends, more stories featured and stay relevant past one day.

+10 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Great points! There have been several excellent upgrades and was unaware that the new format makes it much easier for 11W to manage content.

Your point about the "recent comments" function is good, too. I really liked it, but come to think of it, I had trouble following along with the conversations when the site got more and more popular and you'd have 8 or 10 new comments every minute or so.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Yeah, the recent comments thing seems to be huge complaint and Jason wanted to take it away on the old site a year ago or so if I remember correctly. And exactly, it only showed 10 comments and when there are 25-50 comments every ten minutes, the posts you miss in the time you refresh or read a page are gone. You missed so many "recent comments" while you were reading one of the posts/articles and you weren't too concerned with it, now they just took them all completely away. If you were so obessessed that you must see every comment ever posted, you have problems. I know some here probably do have that problem, myself included. You took away the fix from the addicts. Well maybe it's not a bad thing, addicts.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

I apologize in advance for the long post.  Hopefully some will find it worth reading:

I think there are many, many great things about the new site.  Rather than offer another complaint about the few things that are not so great, I'll offer a suggestion (albeit wrapped around what I find to be a common complaint). 

It seems to me that many of the issues people have with the new site fall into two general categories.  The first is technical problems (loading, scrolling, etc.). I have complete confidence that the technical issues will be resolved, and many already have been.

The second category is what I'll call navigation difficulties (I can't find X anymore) that I feel are inhibiting the social aspects of the site that so many have enjoyed, mainly because it is much harder to track user-created content.  I'm not as confident that these issues will be addressed, as the general responses have ranged from pragmatic "You can find that by going here and clicking on this", to ambivalent, "meh, people don't like change", to dismissive "the old site is not coming back".   Perhaps there are broader "fixes" in the works to these issues, but if so, they have not been broadly communicated.

I, for one, do not want the old site back, but I would like to see the new site tweaked slightly to bring back some of the community feel that seems to have been lost.  And the main reason it seems that way to me is that there is no central place to find recent content, be it staff articles, Blog Posts, Forum Topics, Buckshots, and yes, Recent Comments.  If I find myself frequenting the Forum page, I feel like I'm missing what is being said on the front page articles (or even the articles themselves).  If I hang out on the Front Page, I don't see what is going on in the Forums.

So, my suggestion is to have a "Recent Content" page that includes all of the above, listed chronologically, by category.  Make it mobile friendly (light on graphics, minimal bells and whistles, mainly links).  Kind of like a site index, where folks can come, see what's happening, and go there quickly without waiting for pages to load, or spending a lot of time scrolling, and be able to participate in the conversation without a lot of lag time.

I hope I have more clearly articulated what I think is a common frustration with the new site, while offering a constructive suggestion to help alleviate it.  I am extremely thankful for the great content and community we enjoy at 11W (did I mention it was free?), and don't want to seem ungrateful in any way.  We all just want this place to be the best it can be, as do Jason and the rest of the staff.

+14 HS
hodge's picture

Great idea on the "recent content" page; well-said points all around.

+4 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Excellent comments! I appreciate your positive pragmatism. You're probably right, 3/4 (or 4/4?) of the issues I'm having are probably "fixable" and because the content is so excellent on this site, I might very well end up getting comfortable, and maybe even preferring, the new platform.

Still, though, I can't help but think (or sense?) that there is another 1/4 element that's not so easily fixable. Are those two things really compatible - 1). a format that facilitates "community" interaction and 2). a new style Vox Media-esque format. Maybe the latter tends to be really good at supporting certain values (e.g., creating "eye candy," staff content management, information interfacing), but tends to be not so conducive to community? I don't know. Maybe once the strangeness of it wears off for me, it will feel like community to me.     

+3 HS
Earle's picture

I think the conundrum is that the new format is needed due to the growth of the site, which has been driven in large part by the community aspect of the site that is hindered by the new format.  My suggestion is basically a "back door" to get to the real-time dialogue that many of us have enjoyed so much.

+4 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

The community is still here. People need to understand that. I know it sucks that the Friday gifs thread is gone and won't pop up there tomorrow like it used to for the last year. But guess what, we are all still here, hanging out and chatting, creating lots of new threads and memories. We will adjust. If we had this format for 3 yrs and went to the old one suddenly, we'd all also think that sucked for awhile too. I'd bet money on it.

+1 HS
CC's picture

But I would appreciate that it (the old site) was now faster.

BucksfanXC's picture

Great post. I agree with ya and think those are some interesting ideas. It all seems to be leveling off with the "new/different = I hate it" being replaced with "I can see the utility in it and am getting used to it."

+2 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Thank you Earle, you captured exactly what I feel many of us are thinking.

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

In my old cluttered mind, the new site is similar to walking into Home Depot to find that particular faucet part you need as opposed to the old site being the small locally owned hardware store to get the same part. Even though you get it, you spend way more time trying to find the part in Home Depot and are wondering why it had to take so long to find one simple part and get out of there afterward. With the local store you are ushered in directly to the part, it is carried to the counter for you, you pay and you're out in a few minutesand are grateful that that store makes it so easy to find what you need. Not to say that couldn't change in time. 

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

You nailed it completely Earle. Perfect. Thank you.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

This is interesting. Thanks for articulating this.

My concern with a secondary interface or a power user portal is maintenance, meaning for new front page innovations (and there will be a few), we'll have to make sure it plays nicely on the front page along with this dashboard you are describing. Still a cool, thought, though, and something that should be explored.

One of the things we're currently investigating is killing some/most of the images on the front page for mobile devices. That's just one direction, among many we're looking into for performance.

Earle's picture

Thanks for listening, Jason. I'm not exactly sure why it's harder to get around, but it is, and it goes beyond just the lack of familiarity, which I think is waning.

I do think it has something to do with the fact that the staff-created content on the front page is now effectively segregated from the user-created content on the forum page. However, much of the user interaction takes place in the comments for both categories, and now we are forced to toggle back and forth to keep up with the commentary on both. If we are on the forum page we can see what's being commented on in the forums just fine, but have no idea what's being talked about on the front page.

And something I just realized is that we can no longer tell if there are new comments on front page articles, only how many comments have been made, which makes it harder to keep up with the current conversation on these items.

So I don't think people are having trouble finding articles as much as they are having trouble finding each other, especially in the comments on staff-created content, which I think is what Brandon Bauer was trying to get across in his "I Miss You" post.

Two things that I think would help beyond my previous suggestions: 1). Indicate how many new comments have been made on front page items so we can see what's being currently discussed on the front page, and 2). Think about whether there is a way to bridge the current divide between staff content and member content since the interaction in the comments in both areas is what creates the community feel we are all so bent on preserving.

+4 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

New comment links for front page articles are coming. We hope to have that feature in the next release and should have had that at launch. We also need to do something similar for the three featured stories, Buckshots, and the poll. All on the list.

I am having trouble understanding this:

I do think it has something to do with the fact that the staff-created content on the front page is now effectively segregated from the user-created content on the forum page.

I guess I don't understand how the new site is substantially different from the old site in this regard. Can you elaborate?

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I'm not speaking for Earle, but my perspective (FWIW):

On the old site I almost never moved off the home page.  The forums were bumped on the home page, the recent comments showed up on the home page, the Buckshots were on the home page, the blogs were on the home page and the staff articles were on the home page.  Also (IIRC), the staff content would indicate new comments and the number of new comments.  So, I found myself exclusively using the homepage for my launching point into all the content on the site.  I don't recall ever clicking on the forum tabs unless I wanted to create a new thread myself.  Because there was one page being used as the launching point for all the content, and because the staff content would give new comment numbers on the refresh, we'd have a sense of where the conversation was taking place at any particular time.  You're likely response to that critique is:  don't be so lazy - all you have to do is click in and out of the forum space and the home page and you've effectively got the same experience (provided the new comment numbers on staff content come along).  I'm not sure I'd have a good come back for that one, but it is a different experience in terms of finding the latest conversation.  I've sort of had the gut feeling that there's either less conversation now or I'm having a harder time "feeling" the timing and jumping into the right space.  I obviously have no empirical evidence for that - just a gut feeling.  I don't intend this to be a knock on the site - I appreciate what you're doing - I'm just trying to answer the question you raised from my perspective.  Earle might have a different slant altogether - just my 2 cents.

+13 HS
Crimson's picture

I do think it has something to do with the fact that the staff-created content on the front page is now effectively segregated from the user-created content on the forum page.

Here's my experience.  I used to spend 90% of my time navigating (exclusive of reading) on 11W.com/tracker (not My Account or Recent Comments, just the list of newest comments/articles) to go back and see the conversations that I'd missed.  I essentially do the same now at 11W.com/forum, and it works just as well, except only for forum content.  I can go to the main page or any other pages to check in on new articles, but it's hard to see what's new.  You're working on some kind of a fix for that, so I'm happy.

Another point about the main page (/football/recuiting) is that when a page in on the picture bar at the top, I don't think it's also in the list of topics.  I think it would be better if every story were in the list, but three featured stories were also in picture form at the top.  That way, we can see comments (and soon new comments) even on the picture/feature articles.

The old site also had a separate "new" or "updated" message for the article rather than the comments on the tracker page.  I notice that it isn't there on the forum page, but I'm not sure that I miss it.

I must say that I'm becoming fairly comfortable with the new site, bugs and coming updates aside.  Unfortunately, it also appears that we've lost some people who I enjoy hearing from.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

I think '05 has captured what I'm trying to say to a large extent (and the first part of Crimson's comment as well).  I think the Forum Page works well for following the conversations there, but it is isolated from the main page.  Adding new comments to the home page will definitely help, but we'll still need to bounce back and forth from the forum page to the main page to keep track of what's being said.  In the old site, you could see all the conversations from one place before deciding where to jump in.

I think part of the problem is that we have not been articulating our frustrations very clearly.  It's not that "we can't find anything", it's that we are having a hard time following the conversations, which was really easy on the old site. On the new site, all the staff content is easy enough to find.  The active forums are easy enough to find.  The difficulty is that we are used to conversing in both places at the same time and now they are separated.  The best analogy I can draw is the difference between a conference call where everyone is on the same line, and trying to carry on a bunch of separate conversations simultaneously.

The other part of the disconnect is that you guys on staff just don't use the site the way many of us do.  You post content on the main page, and pop in and out of the comments periodically, but really don't engage in the dialogue the way we do, so you're not finding whole conversations that you're missing on front page articles while you're hanging out on the forum page, or vice versa.  I think that is the biggest frustration about the navigation that's probably been expressed in less specific terms because we knew we were missing something, but we weren't exactly sure what it was initially.

+6 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Earle, you nailed the point of my post. I have heard Jason refer to 11W as an online Buckeye sports bar, and it used to feel that way. It was a Cheers type atmosphere. You could hang out and stay current on the conversation. At the same time you had a strong community atmosphere, and could really get into a discussion. The continuity just doesn't seem to be as strong. It's almost like the discussion takes place in the alley behind the bar. 

+3 HS
DiasporaBuck's picture

(Hopefully this comes across as constructive)

Thanks Jason, that's interesting to hear.  I'd definitely be in favor of an image-lite option, because for me they just take up a lot more real estate so that now I have to scroll all over the page and train my eye to ignore them all so I can see and triage the choices of what new stuff there is to read since my last visit.  Pictures are great for emphasis or breaking up lots of text, but to me we've gone way too far in the opposite direction and now have to swim through a sea of pictures in hunt mode for content titles.  If pictures are instrumental to the storylines that would be one thing, but they rarely are - 11W's writing is what makes it stand out.  (Although a gif party is a fine side dish from time to time.)

My first experience with this type of layout was the redesign of foxsports' webpage, and my first thoughts to that page were "God I hope this design style is a fad that dies a swift death" and "illustrations do not equal content (with occasional exceptions)."  I now visit foxsports' redesigned site (even) less than I did before (which is just as well), but unfortunately I've also begun visiting 11W a lot less, because wading through the barrage of images tires me out.

OSU Class of 1999

cinserious's picture

Thank you Earle for articulating my exact thoughts (saves me time having to write that out). While the new site looks cooler and more up to date, my main problem is it doesn't have the same 'community' feel to it. On the old site, I would log on several times a day tocatch the new staff content as well as to see what other members were saying, everything was easy to find and see. Now  I struggle to find only a couple staff-created articles a day. Maybe I'm just not savvy enough yet.

Gone ham, be back soon...

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

And full mea culpa . . . I totally missed the boat on the flurry of posts/comments criticizing the new site. My visits here have been spotty the last few weeks. Please DV me for beating a few dead horses.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

We seemed to have come to a new level of discussion on your new post on the "old" topic. So don't feel bad at all. It's slowly progressing into acceptance I think. Complaints of new=hate are fading away.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

It's exactly like the SB Nation overhaul a couple years back -- at first people shat bricks, some people left, but the vast majority got used to the new format and never looked back.

Jack Fu's picture

To be fair, I don't think the SBN overhaul was anywhere near as comprehensive as this one.

+1 HS
niblick's picture

love it on the pc, but it sucks balls on my cell phone, android os. To the point i'm rarely on the site anymore via mobile.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Still confusing to me a little bit. Like most of America, I talk about how change is great, then resist it when it is bestowed upon me.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

11w can measure hits and time spent by members.  I'm sure they are listening and working on modifications to many of our issues.  Maybe you will read about them next week on the "Recent Content" page.  It's still the best Sports(Buckeye) Site period.

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

There are always little things that we'd probably like to see changed.  I was so used to logging into the site and doing the exact same thing every day that I had to adjust to a different routine with the new site.  Different doesn't necessarily mean worse.  There are still a couple things I'd probably do differently if technologically feasible, but I'm also a realist:  it's a free site that doesn't generate enough revenue to hire full time web design staff to tweak things every 10 minutes.  I'm just happy the site exists and I'm confident no one wants it to be successful more than Jason and company.

I do have a technical question though - not really a complaint, just a lack of understanding:  when I use the site on Chrome at my office everything works like a charm.  However, I recently got a new Surface so I can have mobile access to my office, etc.  The site looks great on Internet Explorer and everything loads normally, but it's difficult to insert text - it sort of acts like you're using a weird text box or something when you go to type.  It works, but it acts weird.  Plus, I still haven't figured out how to get IE to do the basic copy/paste image url thing for a picture post.  Maybe Internet Explorer just isn't a good product anymore?  I'll openly admit that I'm not the most tech savvy person out there.

Crimson's picture

IE11 is pretty bad, especially here.  IE 10 isn't as bad, but Firefox (or Chrome or other) are much better.

Jason Priestas's picture

We're working on IE8 and up fixes. Thanks for being patient.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I love the content on the site - I've got no choice but to be patient, haha.  Seriously though, I appreciate the work you guys do to make the site what it is.

CC's picture

Jason - What is the release cycle?  Is it scheduled or as large changes are developed?

Jdadams01's picture

I agree with Fido and KMP10. I loved the old site. It was clean, easy to navigate, and had hit that elusive sweet spot for freshness and function (IMO). The new site definitely looks great, but is not as user friendly. I even prefer the old full site on my iPhone. Agree with the other complaints on the mobile site about slowness.I find myself coming to the site much less and it seems the forums are not as busy as before.

+5 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I was having problems with the new site, but I got this guy to fix everything. He was a little rude though...

+3 HS
clogan1032's picture

I love the new site when I on my computer but on a mobile device (phone or tablet) it is not a great experience.

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

Like all things, I think it will take time.

One of my biggest gripes is the incompatibility / bugs / errors I run into using Chrome to view/access the site.  I trust that's because everything is still new, and the bugs/kinks need to be identified and resolved.

My next biggest grip is that "things are too big."  What do I mean by this?  It seems like the images and the size of the comment box is too big.  They tend to dominate the screen.  Same goes for the pics & stuff on the homepage.

And lastly... one of the things that I think makes this website is the whole "Up voting & Down voting" thing.  If someone makes a stupid comment, you can downvote them into oblivion; to the point where the box will become 'hazy' to other readers so they know it's a negative comment and they don't need to waste their time reading it.  Whereas, on the flipside, if it's a really good / thought-provoking comment, you can upvote the post and draw extra/added attention to it.  So those who might be sifting thru, say, a 100 comment post-thread, and they don't want to take the time to read every last stinking post, if they see that one or two posts have been upvoted, say, 20x, then they can simply read that post and get whatever info they need.  So.. my last comment then is... I feel like the current Up-vote / Down-vote box/feature is too small.  I wish it was bigger / drew more notice, because I tend to like to browse thru the thread and read only the handful of repped posts, rather than read the other 50 some "rant" / "I'm posting just to add a 'yeah, i agree' post."

Just my two cents.

+2 HS
FormerBuck's picture

I'll be honest.  I hate it.  I guess I didn't see a reason to change things.  If there were reasons I don't know about then I will gladly deal with the changes.  But I'm not someone that likes to change just for the sake of changing.

+5 HS
Johnny Ginter's picture

this comment has been repeated a lot, and it's really odd to me for a few reasons:

first, the new site was needed because the platform that we were using was ridiculously outdated. i know people are complaining about various bugs with the new site, but that seems to ignore the fact that the old one oftentimes had them too (sometimes major ones). as jason and company continue to refine the system, loading/searching/etc will be faster and easier.

second, the publishing platform that we were using on the old site sucked huge donkey balls. i hated it, it was hard to work with, and it was just generally slow as hell. the new website isn't perfect in that regard but holy crap it is a giant step up from what we were wrestling with as writers.

third, i really, really, REALLY don't understand the complaints about not being able to find articles or the insinuation that some of the changes were done to increase traffic through more clicks. the layout of the site is incredibly similar to what we had (and if anything the changes decrease the amount of clicks you need to get to information), and you can find literally every article posted simply by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking on "more."

i dunno. mobile/ipad issues are legit complaints, and i welcome any and all constructive suggestions for tweaks we can make to the site, but some of the things people are complaining about are baffling to me.

teddyballgame's picture

It's kinda like when someone gives you a gift you didn't want/need.  You just pretend to like it because it would be awkward if you didn't.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks for the feedback, everyone and I'm happy to hear some of you are settling into it.

As a few if you have pointed out, we're hard at work on a lot of things that will stabilize and hopefully improve the experience on 11W. Some are as obvious as the mobile Safari performance problems and things breaking in Internet Explorer, while others are tweaks that will help in small ways on the front and back end of things, all of which will continue to add up to creating a place that is not only informative, but also easy to use.

Like Johnny, I'm having a hard time getting my head around the complaints of things being harder to find. Maybe it's just me, but the default view for the forum is a one-stop shop to see active topics, even highlighting the number of new comments in each thread. Further, remember when threads used to have multiple pages and clicking "New" would break? Now, all of the comments are on one page.

We finally have a site search that works, categories are improved and easier to discover/explore and the front page largely functions like the old front page. It may look different, but for the most part, it functions the same with regard to the flow of news and commentary.

That said, I'm trying to understand these concerns, so keep the ideas coming, please.

chitown buckeye's picture

It doesn't seem hard to find content as much as its difficult to find where others are posting in "live" time. The forum is great, I love it! A one stop shop to see where everybody is at and where/what the discussion is throughout the day.

However, when you are on the home page you have no idea where discussions are taking place. You can see how many comments are on the stories but can't tell if there is new commenting going on. No comments on Buckshots or priority articles at the top of the page, etc..I find myself clicking on articles to see if there were new comments and most of the time it was a waste as no new comments were posted. This is the frustrating part for me as I would be fine clicking back and forth from homepage to forum page as long as the homepage was giving me more info on where the conversations are taking place.

My two cents. Keep up the great work. It's appreciated.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+4 HS
buckguy10's picture

I believe Jason said elsewhere in this thread that the number of new comments on articles and buckshots is coming with the next update which I am happy about as you mentioned how difficult it is to see where the conversations are flowing. 

buckskin's picture

At first, I also thought the articles were harder to find.  I didn't visit the site for about two weeks mostly because of the navigation issues and because I'm older and hate change for the sake of change (which it seemed to me was the case at 1st).  Then I decided to explore and get familiar with the new site and I quickly realized that the articles were easy to find, I just had to take the time and go to the bottom of the page.  I loved the simplicity and organization of the old site, but the new one looks great on my PC and has a more "professional" feel to it, which I definitely like.  Do not use near as much on my mobile, just only for quick info.

I think the staff was trying to make a major upgrade and hit a home run on many levels, but like any change, there will be issues.  The key is they are willing to listen to our problems and address the needs and wants of the community.  I know their goal is to make 11W a better site for its members.

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

Here's a couple of my observations:

The good:  I love the new forums.  The main forum page makes it so much easier to see new topics along with keeping up with running conversations.  It's just much more efficient.

The bad:  The site's front page is just plain cluttered.  Not everything needs pics associated with it.  For example:  Buckshots.  I liked it MUCH better when Buckshots was just a plain list on the right of the page.  I could take one glance and process the whole list.  I also liked the one sentence commentaries that used to be under the previous Buckshot topics.  The old front page was just cleaner and much more efficient to look at and absorb.  The new one looks like it came straight out of Windows 8 hell.

Minor notes:  The auto spell check on the new site is still broken for Firefox users.

+7 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I know what you're saying but I feel like the "clutter" will become the norm for you over time. It is different, but it's not bad. Just takes time to get used to it.

BuckGnome's picture

I see what your saying, but users have had enough time with the new site to form opinions, and critiques, beyond "OMG NEW STUFF ARGHH CHANGE SUCKS!!!!!"

My criticisms of the front page are my observations, nothing more, nothing less.  The front page is less informative in several ways.  Here's a couple things that stand out to me, in no particular order.

1.  Comments on front page articles:  The new site only telly you how many comments have been made on each article.  The old front page would tell you that, along with how many new comments have been made since the last time you clicked on said article without having to click on it again.   

2.  Buckshots: I liked the one sentence commentaries on the old Buckshots section.  It was also better w/o the pics.  To clarify, by 'better' I mean easier to process the entirety of the list and adsorb in less time than the current pic-happy 'Shots.  I have visited the site multiple times daily over the last couple weeks, so it's difficult for me to chalk this up to plain unfamiliarity.  My observation stands.

The bottom line is, for me at least, the new 11w front page is not as useful or efficient as the old one in conveying information to the reader.  Others have made valid points here as well.  Despite these things, 11W is still the best and it's not like I'm going to pout and say "Screw you guys(11w Staff), I'm getting a subscription to Bucknuts."

I'm confident the staff will continue to make tweaks and improve the new site as things evolve.  I'll be along for the ride.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

It's Urban's fault.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

As it just took me 6.5 minutes to scroll to the bottom of the page, I can only lament that I cannot be on this site much as my iPad does not render the excess of content related issues very well at all.  It also makes typing a comment interesting with the built in lag.  I miss the verbal sparring and great writing, but I suppose sometimes we cant have what we want.  Sometimes, if I wait til early in the am, things speed up a bit, but invariably others login as well.  Well, thats all I can say for now as it took over 4 minutes to get this in.  

- as there is a go to top arrow - how about go to bottom arrow?

Night friends and alum... and other interlopers.

Go Bucks!

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
rosycheeks's picture

I work in software implementation. One thing I want to tell my customers but can't is that they just need to shut up and use their new software, and pretty soon they'll love it and never want to go back.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. I miss the old site for reasons that I can't even articulate. I'm not at all confident that I know what I think I know about the differences between the old site and the new one. All I know is how I feel, and how I feel is that it's more cumbersome to navigate around, and I always feel like I'm missing something.

Bottom line -- I keep telling myself to shut up and use the site, and pretty soon I'll probably love it. I can already see the dial moving from HATE IT to IT'S OK, and it's only been a couple weeks.

11W guys, I imagine the feint glimpse of frustration that I can see in your responses is backed by truckloads of frustration in your hearts. Don't sweat it. I bet I speak for just about everyone here when I say that we appreciate the work you do, and we as your non-paying customers are just going to sit in front of our computers sometimes and say stupid things, and in the end, we're going to be thankful for what we have here, because it is truly awesome.

+7 HS
razrback16's picture

The main page layout for articles look good, IMO. The forums, not so much.

canukeye's picture

I think that if the background had remained grey I'd be happier with it.  Now your blog has gone from looking like eleven warriors to looking like Deadspin and SB Nation and Grantland had a baby.  

And the links at the end of the skullies are always jumbled.  But I am sure that's something that will be fixed.  

It's not the band that I hate.  It's the fans.

+1 HS

I think that if the background had remained grey I'd be happier with it. 

Could you expand on this criticism? The old background's hexidecimal color value was ECECEC and the new background's value is EEEEEE. Those are nearly identical, so I don't think I understand this criticism.

By the links being jumbled, do you mean text overrunning other words, or something else?

canukeye's picture

What I see looks to me like a white with grey Buckeye Leafs

Ah, I see. It's a grey on grey background, though the darker Buckeye leaves (hexadecimal color #E3E4E4) make the surrounding grey (#EEEEEE) look whiter. Does that pattern take up a lot of your screen? On my 13" monitor it takes up about half an inch on each side, with the solid grey background taking up 90% of the screen's width.

canukeye's picture

On my 22" I get 3 1/2" of the buckeye leafs on each side and the scroll section is white.  I suppose as I look at it more its a greyish white.

canukeye's picture

Yes the link texts overrun the other texts.  But I think this has been corected.

Jason Priestas's picture

Are you not seeing the background color at all? If not, what browser are you using? What OS?

As Nicholas said, the background color of this site is just one shade off from the old gray. Here's a visual representation. The old background color is on the left, the new background color is on the right:

GRAY

canukeye's picture

I just see the same white and #ECECEC #EEEEEE

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I think Earle & 05 have done an excellent job of articulating how the change has affected the ability to keep up with conversations in relatively real time. On the plus side I think most of those issues can be remedied without too much trouble.

To be honest I don't really mind most of the layout changes, I just want the ability to zoom out so that everything isn't so damn big. I'm getting blisters on my fingertip from the endless scrolling.

+1 HS
doodah_man's picture

I am late to the fray but wanted to add my two cents worth which, with inflation, could be four cents now. First, let me say right off that I make this site part of  my daily, conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular Buckeye news. I get Buckeye news here first and the quality of writing puts national sports sources to shame (I'm talking to you ESPN, SI). I also understand that I can't look this gift horse in the mouth (hell it's free), although I have thrown some shekels their way in the past.

What concerns me is the "post literate" appearance and presentation that seems to be creeping into websites and even the national news. For example, take a look at MSNBC.com (here http://www.nbcnews.com/ ). Look familiar? It is a veritable matrix of photos rather than written text. Scroll down one page, you only pass 5 - 7 stories (where before most of the day's news was on one page). Plus, do I need some helpful picture to introduce a story? 11W at least takes the time to select an image that is very relevant to the topic of the story. MSNBC has a story on how Bison is becoming more of a mainstream meat, with a picture of a Bison or two. Gee, thanks, I didn't want to confuse them with a chicken. Anyone out there not know what a Bison looks like? Really? Back to 5th grade with you.

I also see national news stories using movies to explain fairly uncomplicated events. A recent story about Bin Laden/ Al Qaeda used clips and comparisons from Zero Dark Thirty. I guess this was to make the subject of bad guy extraction by helicopter what, more simple? I think it is all part of a dumbing down of the media. Not  that we are seeing 11W using clips from Rudy to support their stories but, the gifs are really helping to slow downloads (although many are highly entertaining).

I don't think people on this site are dumb. In fact, I think college football tends to attract fairly intelligent people who either aspire to college, have gone to college, or graduated (no stats, just spitballing here). We can handle more text and less 4 x 4 pictures of Braxton Miller (although I would like a 8 x 10 of the Zack Boren/Devin Gardner tackle). 

So, with some final sucking up; keep up the great work, incredible writing, and font of all Buckeye news. I appreciate and admire your efforts. Just back off on the pictures, keep the gifs short and relevant.

Jim "DooDah" Day
It is hard to play dirty against a man who picks you up.

+7 HS
Earle's picture

You know what I really miss from the old site?  Ross Fulton.  My football brain is atrophying.  C'mon man, give us a fix to help us get through the long off-season.

+8 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

On my phone, on my home laptop that uses Firefox and IE 11, on my virtual machine that uses IE 10 - the site looks great.  On my local work machine that uses IE 9, not so good.  But as far as the site itself, I like the new layout.  It's growing on me.  Still need to be able to upvote or downvote blogs/forums themselves.  That's the only thing I'd change.

Class of 2010.

vitaminB's picture

Still need shadowing on the white letters over the pictures on top.

I need spell chekxz pleeze

Recent comments on the main page, don't necessarily need to know what comments were made, just what forum/article they were posted in.

I think the font on the site is horrible.  Is that arial?  Seriously, it looks childish, it's the default on PowerPoint so to me it just screams, I don't give a sh&t.

+1 HS

-If you're talking about the pictures on the front page, that text does have shadowing.
-Couldn't agree more about spell-check. That's on my wish list too.
-New Comments has been a major source of feedback, so stay tuned.
-It's not Arial, it's not changing, and you couldn't have been any more insulting with how you said this. Your first three points were constructive, what in the blazes happened to the fourth?

Crimson's picture

Your first three points were constructive, what in the blazes happened to the fourth?

Nobody moves or he gets it.

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I actually like the new font. It is easier to read. So that's a win for me.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

buckguyfan1's picture

I'd also like to suggest better specials during happy hour.  

+4 HS
Josh P's picture

I'm waiting to see if new site=national championship and then I'll judge.  

+8 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice comment Josh - "it is what it is" and for a free site ------------ you'll never hear me complain.

+2 HS
Paul's picture

I used to live on this site. Now I'm never on it. I don't like the format and was curious to hear the staff's thoughts. It's disappointing to hear that it was changed for the benefit of the staff. The reason this site was head and shoulders above the other sites was the content, ease of use and aesthetics. Now it's busy and reminds me of an SB Nation ripoff. I hope things work out for you but I have a feeling you're going to lose a significant part of your following. Appreciate all you do but when you put yourself before your audience, don't be surprised if your audience goes somewhere else. FWIW people are willing to pay for convenience. You should've just changed to a membership format if you were worried about it being more convenient for you. Just because it's free doesn't mean it's better and we have to like it. Good Luck regardless. 

There are winners and there are losers, and then there are "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY"

FOOTBALL BUCKEYES!

-5 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I don't think it's fair to say the site changed solely for the staff. Those comments were made in response to those saying it changed for the sake of change. We've tried to keep many things the same, add a few improvements and will work to make sure it's the best it can be.

Sorry to hear you don't like the new site, guy whose last three comments before this one were...

Urban Meyer 0-2 in games that count!

I'm glad Braxton Miller went to a Quarterback Guru this past spring. Enjoy your pizza Urban!!!!!!

Braxton Miller needs to go. He Fucking Sucks. These coaches Suck! I'm glad they can recruit because they can't fucking coach. Put Guiton in Because Miller is a joke at Quarterback!!

Seattle Linga's picture

Jason - thanks for rocking the house with a post and a professional response at 12:30 AM - when most people are asleep

Jason - thanks for caring about this site and letting those know don't like it, or our team that they are flexible to never show up again.

Jason - thanks to you and the rest of the staff who continue to amaze me with the quality of writing and the inside track on ALL of the recruits. Keep up the great work!!!!!!

Jason - thanks for your commitment - it's easy to see that you love your job! 

+3 HS
DiasporaBuck's picture

Jason's first paragraph was professional but let's be honest, his second one was a personal attack.

I agree with your comment about the staff's commitment though, so it's not surprising that some natural human frustrations have begun to show.  Ruthless evaluation and continuing changes will position us best though to incorporate what improves the site and discard what holds it back.  It's important that the new site works much better under the hood, but as noted further down in this conversation, this baby does have some ugly spots that would benefit from additional changes.

OSU Class of 1999

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Absolutely. We're working to iron those things out.

As far as the personal attack, I don't know. I don't subscribe to the theory that members/customers are always right. Often they are, but not always.

If it's a reasoned complaint, then we'll look at things, but I also want to see these complaints in context. I felt it was important to say, hey – this guy has a history of saying things that are a little over the top, so his comment should be viewed in that light. The way I see it is that we put a lot of time into making this place a great, free source of Ohio State news and we don't have to entertain dickish comments or, quite frankly, members that may be disruptive to the community.

Paul's picture

Actually Jason, it's Guy who spent $2,747.68 last year clicking through your Amazon Affiliate Link to make my purchases. My last 3 comments have nothing to do with the fact that the new site is not user friendly. That's the real issue. You lashed out like a spoiled 5 year old who's Mommy told him he can't have a lollipop right now! I get it Jason nobody likes to be told their baby is ugly, But.....You're baby is ugly. I don't like the new sight, I don't like your attitude and you just lost a member who generated revenue to your site. I unsubscribed to your newsfeed and like Seatle Linga suggested I will not visit again. Great idea SL. Thanks Again. Cancel my account, Don't, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other because I'm not coming back. Jason, all your little minions are now free to feed your ego and tell you how great your new site is. Good Luck! 

There are winners and there are losers, and then there are "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY"

FOOTBALL BUCKEYES!

-8 HS
Crimson's picture

I get it Jason nobody likes to be told their baby is ugly, But.....You're baby is ugly.

What is "You are baby is ugly."?

Also, I feel like Jason is encouraging us to downvote.  Interesting.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Paul - I would love to hear your reasoning and logic behind your thoughts on why you think Braxton Sucks and why you think Urban can't coach. I have never heard of a two time B1G offensive MVP and a coach of two national championships with the ability to turn any program around in America sucking (PG Version) 

Please enlighten all of us!

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

This exchange between Paul and Jason reminds me of the 1,267 times I've tossed out a few nasty barbs in the heat-of-the-moment. 

Paul, a little advice (not that I ever follow it, myself): don't put your "immediate reaction" feelings down in writing like eight seconds after Ohio State loses a football game. Wait an hour - or better yet a day - or two and then put your comments down, after the seething idiotic fury has cooled off a bit.

Jason, if it's really true that Paul spent that much on Amazon going through the 11W affiliate link, maybe that's a reminder that you can't indulge in pwn'ing cyber fools quite as much as you could if, say, you were merely one of us non-staff schlepps. Perhaps that's the price you pay for running such an awesome blog. Of course, I laughed at the hilarious brutality of your takedown on Paul, as if I were one of Jayru Campbell's hall buddies.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about old Paul. I mean, who really tracks their Amazon purchases to the penny?

+5 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I mean, who really tracks [our] Amazon purchases to the penny?

The NSA?

+4 HS
Earle's picture

Well, that would explain the white van across the street...guess I should stop buying my ammonium nitrate online.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

You need ammonium nitrate? Dude, hit me up!! I have loads of it. Great prices too. Also, I'm very private, so nobody will find out about the purchase.

Edit: I have no bomb making materials.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

You're doomed for simply typing the words.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

Poison nuts's picture

Bomb, bomb, bomb - bomb bomb ba bomb...what if I was a bombardier? 

*Dear NSA, these are just jokes. Go easy on me, I'm dumb.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Well, if you weren't on the list before, you certainly are now. Good luck next time you have to fly.

Poison nuts's picture

What can I say...sometimes I like to take a joke so far, I can no longer travel freely.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Jason, I'm sure we can trust you not to betray our identities to the feds. We promise to take good care of the site until they let you out of Gitmo.

Crimson's picture

I was about to ask, Poison, how many times have you been kicked off of a plane?

buckfeet's picture

very hard to navigate for the sliding top articles.  Menu button on top left corner can't be open by some mobile browsers.

very slow to scroll down. In short, not very user friendly for mobile devices.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Still not a fan. I often daydream about what life would be like if we still had the old site. I have never seen 11w this dead (even considering that it's the offseason), looks like a lot of warriors were lost during the transition. 

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Kudos to the staff, which has been hard-at-work fixing glitches, reformatting a few things. Like others, I am gradually getting used to the new layout.

Everyone hated Brushstrokes in Flight when it was introduced, too. Oh wait, half of us still hate Brushstrokes in Flight, but you know what I'm saying.

I don't know yet if I will end up liking the new format/platform as much or better than the previous version, but this thread does illustrate, once again, the tremendous responsiveness of staff (in providing a free product) and the high quality of discussion around here.

+2 HS
BuckeyeAZOH's picture

Does anyone have troubles with the new site on their galaxy s3. I used the old site all the time with no issues. On the new site, the menu covers up my entire page even when not attempting to use it. Most things are unresponsive on the new site with my phone. I use my phone mostly but do have a iPad that it works good on. The site is very appealing to the eye but much more difficult to use. Also, sorry for putting this on this page but I am unable to access the forums to put this where it goes.

Purple Raider

Jason Priestas's picture

Sorry about that. Galaxy is absolutely on our list of things to fix.

BuckeyeMike74's picture

I read 11W almost exclusively via Flipboard on my iPad.  The new format is great because I can now post comments within the app.  However, the formatting seems to eat a lot of space that could better be used by text.  The big gray top banner seems to take up the top 10% of my screen even as I scroll down through the articles.  In addition, the scrolling is very choppy and has been this way since the new format.  I like the new site when viewing on a PC.  No lag and screen is plenty big for all the extra formatting.

I'm not sure if this is a Flipboard issue or a 11W issue or a combination of the two, but the old site worked and integrated better.

OH_IO's picture

I think I just reread half of the comments on this topic before realizing I had already done so. Twice.

The ability to differentiate new comments from old within a topic is one of the things I miss most from the old 11W.  I don't know if this has been addressed (I should know after reading all the comments three times) or if anyone else feels similar/different. 

For all of my other concerns see: any and all posts by Earle on this topic.  Completely nailed it.

Overall, I love the new site.  It has taken some "getting used to" but it's a definite upgrade.  Appreciate all of the work you guys do.

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

There's a "new" sticker and a yellow highlighted line.  It works pretty well, mostly the highlighted part.

+2 HS
OH_IO's picture

Thank you kindly. Attention to detail apparently isn't my forte. 

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

BassDropper's picture

I must admit, the new site is growing on me. As early as Monday I still hated the new site. But something happened to me the past 2 days where I noticed I was starting to like the site. Hell, right now I would go to say I like it better than the old layout (and I thought I would never say that).

I must apologize to Jason and to anyone else who put their hard working time in to developing this site, and then have someone like myself be so vocal in not liking it. I usually accept change. But when I logged on to 11w on February 7th it felt like a family member had died when I saw the new layout. This new layout kicks ass.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

Let me get this straight.  You like change, but only if it's in a certain direction?

I'll show myself out.

+1 HS