Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

This is new Coke all over again

Calgarybuck's picture
February 14, 2014 at 1:04pm
56 Comments

Hey 11W, I have to post this outside of the other ones, Here's a few issues I have and maybe they can get it fixed.  I want all new articles to come up as their loaded..None of this oh click the top highlighted ones..or you have to click football or recruiting, with the existing layout I find myself going into the same articles all the time!

The Forum is a complete mess, I can't look up by when a forum article was published! Has anyone commented on Gibson favoring Auburn this past week? while I have to scroll through pages just to find Gene's quick bites.

I hate being that guy but the simplicity of the old site was so easy to navigate for everything from newest topics to newest published articles (which are still great by the way) that I see the new way of navigation negatively effecting a strong portion of the visitors to this site.

It may not be noticeable now in the off-season but if these issues persist I can see this new updated site slowing/stopping any momentum you had gained over the past few years!

Like I mentioned before the work you do is still unbelievable it's the layout and functionality that are frustrating the hell out of me!

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I agree with quite a bit of what you're saying. The old site was definitely easier to navigate. But I think a lot of that just comes with working some of the kinks out. An 11W staffer (I think Birm) already stated in another forum topic that the 'most comented' section was a little cumbersome and may eventually be replace with a 'latest comment' section much like the old sight had. I think that's where a lot of the angst is coming from. There is a popular topic, but once it goes off the 'recent post' board, its a pain in the ass to find unless it ever shoots over the number of comments for a game feed or a skully. I have faith that all this will be taken care of in due time.

Patience grasshopper...

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

At least it's not Crystal Pepsi...

+13 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

all man, that was awesome. I loved drinking that stuff. It was different, that is true, but I liked it a lot. It was an odd drink.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Perhaps it's the glow of my childhood that is rubbing off on Crystal Pepsi but I have fond memories of it.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I didn't mind that Crystal Gravy...

+12 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

We always used to go to Pizza Hut (yes, we'd dine in at a Pizza Hut) and I'd order Crystal Pepsi.  Was super stoked about it when it came out (I was like 11, so I'm not really sure why).  

In some ways, I really miss the '90s.  In other ways, I'm glad it's gone.  At least there was good music in the '90s.

+2 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

The 90's had it right when mcdonald's had Pizza! 

+3 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

It's a Pizza Happy Meal, ah-pepperoni and cheese!

That stuff was disgusting, I used to get it all the time as a kid, but the memory of it makes me want to vomit.  Haha

+1 HS

I don't agree. New Coke was NEVER going to be better than the original where as this is a work in process.

give it time. You should have been on the old site when it was first starting to get going.

+3 HS
sharks's picture

Crystal Pepsi was introduced with that Sammy Hagar in VH song. Neither was as good as the original

I agree with stated sentiment here. I'm not feeling the new site as much, forums in particular. I have no doubt it'll be ironed out though.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+5 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Nailed it. I never went to a VH concert or bought a VH album after they booted Dave Roth. I had seen them several times in concert with the original cast.  They got really soft, started playing a lot of love songs, and lost their "edge" with Hagar, IMHO.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Had buddies in junior high school that made a "seamless transition" from Van Halen to Van Hagar. I couldn't do it. Just wasn't the same.

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

I have to agree. I feel like I'm missing a lot of content with the new site. I like it's layout, but still.

+5 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

Loved Crystal Pepsi.

I agree with the above sentiments.  The "most commented" does seem a bit pointless, as the top thread now is still the open thread from the scUM hoops game Tuesday, which I'm not sure many of us care to further discuss at this point.  Due to the rapid-fire nature of the open threads, I feel like those will always be at the top in perpetuity since they always get the most posts.  I do find myself posting and chiming in much less since the new site went live just due to the lack of the recent comments on the front page.

Aesthetically much more pleasing, just in need of a few tweaks which is commonplace with a new design.  Still the best buckeye site out there.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+3 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

There lies my issue, I love just reading posts prob more so then even chiming in myself! I've yet to read all the comments off 1 forum post since the change and I don't like that..I know things will improve with time it's just a shock to my routine of visiting 11w 10+times a day..

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

First of all, we don't need another new thread about this. But I'll try to address some of your issues:

I want all new articles to come up as their loaded..None of this oh click the top highlighted ones..or you have to click football or recruiting, with the existing layout I find myself going into the same articles all the time!

The front page shows new articles in reverse chronological order, much like the old site did. Three are featured at the top, which will sometimes be the most important pieces of the day, but often will just reflect the reverse chrono order.

The Forum is a complete mess, I can't look up by when a forum article was published!

I'm not sure what this means. Can you elaborate? The forum page shows both active and popular topics. Pretty handy. Meanwhile, you can go into the recruiting forum to see all of Gene's latest Quick Bits. Better yet! You can even search for Quick Bits now, which really wasn't possible with the old site.

Jason dropping knowledge!

+6 HS
SOF_Buckeye's picture

Of course he's dropping knowledge, he put it all together. We, the users it was improved for, are still trying to catch up, and at times find it frustrating. So while Jason may be tired of hearing the same comments, many of us, who like to drop in quickly, consume some great Buckeye news/knowledge, aren't able to do it quickly now, whether due to the new layout, or to the learning curve; so we are now limiting how often we come by.

First of all, we don't need another new thread about this. But I'll try to address some of your issues:

Well, since it continues to be an issue with many, maybe we do. Jason developed this, so he obviously knows the ins/outs, and nuances of it. I'm getting used to it, but still prefer the simplicity of the old site. 

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

+1 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

Did the site open when you clicked on it?- Fickell'd

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+5 HS
Unky Buck's picture

First of all, we don't need another new thread about this.

Can we still have a multitude of "Fire Fickell" threads?

+10 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Phew! I was scared we'd have those people run off...

+7 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Just wait - the Fickell hate will overflow about 5 minutes into the first game of the year.  Think about it:

Inexperienced linebackers + opening on the road vs a triple option team = 3 Fire Fickell threads by halftime

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"Fire Fickell" is so January. "Fire Ash" will be the new hip phrase.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

3? I'll take the over...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

CALPOPPY's picture

We could get even more Butt Hurt threads.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

How about a "plethora" of "fire Fickell" threads?

Earle's picture

But without a new thread we wouldn't be able to wax nostalgic about Crystal Pepsi, or be frightened about Crystal Gravy (whatever the heck that is).  It's really no different than FIRE FICKELL!!, except that the comments don't make the front page, so fewer people get to upvote that fabulous Hagar comment unless they stumble across it in the forums. 

Forum threads grow organically.  Some will get less daylight in the new world order, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The ones that take off will get picked up as "Active" and folks will find them.  It just might take a little longer.

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
DiasporaBuck's picture

Oh, the wonders of Crystal Gravy: http://screen.yahoo.com/crystal-gravy-000000611.html  (it's funnier if you recall the original Crystal Pepsi commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvyq_KmXhc&feature=player_detailpage)

And if you ever wondered how a Crystal Pepsi would taste today, this is why Al Gore invented the interweb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGwibPdEOVk&feature=player_detailpage

OSU Class of 1999

kholmes's picture

Regarding the recruiting forum link you embedded, I think the issue some have is the default sorting methodology is based on the number of posts a thread has. It makes much more sense to have the default sorting based on the time of last reply (most recent at the top). This was how the old site had it and quickly allowed you to see what is active. The new site still allows this but you have to twice hit the last reply link to first sort based on it and then reverse the sorting direction.

+2 HS
tae1986's picture

First of all, thank you very much for all your hard work Jason! Some of us are having a little bit hard time getting used to the change but hope you know we all appreciate your hard work and just want to help you anyway we can. So please excuse us if we are too involved and interfering your work little bit. We all have good intentions.

I think I kinda know why we are having a hard time with the front page. I think it will help a lot if those top three articles are also listed in the reverse chronological order as well. I'm not sure if I'm explaining in clear manner but if you check out www.probasketballtalk.com it might be easier for you to understand. They have a similar front page set up with three featured articles on top but those three articles are also in reverse chronological order as well. I find it helps me to know when the article came out and if I missed any articles.

For the issues about the forum, I think I understand what OP was trying to say. I also found myself reading same old topics over and over again and missing out on new topics. I think it is because forum default setting for the order is by most replies not the latest comment. If I double click latest comments, it is just like old website and easier to pick out newer topics and recent comments. It will help other members navigate through forums.

Also, the new comments on forums are harder to identify. Before, it was highlight with yellow box so it was easier to identify new comments when I'm quickly scrolling through the topic but with the new site, unless I look closely, I can easily miss the new comments.

I know you must be stressed with all of our requests and suggestions, but please know we all have good intentions and would greatly appreciate if you give our suggestions a little thought. Thank you very much and hope you have a great weekend.

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

+2 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Jason things are already running better and it's only been a week.  Once the load time gets faster and the site works better on Mobile devices I think you will see most complaints disappear.  

Keep up the great work.  I need to find some  new coke and crystal Pepsi never tried either but if they are compared to 11w I know I'll drink that shit everyday and twice on Sundays.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

BeijingBucks's picture

Jason, perhaps someone who understands *cough* *cough.. you?* could drop some knowledge into a tips and tricks FAQ for the new site once you get it smooved out a bit?  I am sure there are so many sexy shortcuts and information links and other functional changes which are perhaps less obvious the grognard sports enthusiasts who love this site so.  As many have stated the biggest problem many seem to have is this feeling they have that they are missing something somewhere, somehow.

also since the site is now content containerized are you considering at all to let people customise their content pages to their profiles in the future?  perhaps as a premium option.... jus sayin'.  that may be a later generation i know but the technology is pretty well established by now and super sexy for giving everyone what I want!

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

buckguyfan1's picture

My 2 Turkish Pesos:  At any given time of the day(repeatedly throughout the day) I could click on 11w and get a "SATISFYING SNAPSHOT" of new articles, new news, and what forum topics were getting attention from the great members of this site.   I was like an 11w's Sniper.  In and out with not long periods of time to spend on the site.  Not as easy to do anymore and I find myself waiting for more opportune times to sit down and find the stuff I crave.  

+6 HS
LABuckeye's picture

The response to the site update reminds me of when I switched my company last year from a custom-built intranet site that was a pain in the ass to maintain to SharePoint. About half the staff were filled with glee at how much easier everything was. The other half thought it sucked when they just figured out how to use the old site.

blazers34's picture

We moved from a shitty folder based site to share point. I'm a BIG fan of SP

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Great movie - brings back some classic "One Liners"

Baroclinicity's picture

Hover boards in one year, people!

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+2 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Anyone remember hearing this about hover boards?

During the 1990s there were rumors, fuelled by director Robert Zemeckis,[1] that hoverboards were in fact real, but not marketed because they were deemed too dangerous by parents' groups. These rumors have been conclusively debunked.[1]

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

mh277907's picture

It took me a couple of days to get used to but I love the new site just as I love the old one. I do have one random question, though - do downvotes appear on one's posts as well as the upvotes or does just a cumulative "score" show? I see the total number of upvotes and downvotes on other people's posts but my posts have only said, for example, "+1 HS." Is it possible that I have a DV on that post but 2 UVs so it appears as a total of +1? I also assume it is possible that none of my posts have yet to receive a DV in which case I have plenty of flesh gifs that I can share...

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

If your own comment has a score of zero (no upvotes, no downvotes), you won't see anything. If your comment has a non-zero score, you'll see the score of the comment, but not broken down by votes. This was by design, to prevent the obligatory "WHY THE DOWNVOTE?" replies that have 10 upvotes and a sole downvote.

mh277907's picture

That's what I figured. Definitely the better way to do it. Thanks.

buckeyebobcat

brandonbauer87's picture

This is an example of one of the great benefits of the new site. The voting situation as a whole is greatly improved. For all the bitching I've done, I should at least give credit where credit is due. 

buckeyedude's picture

I rather enjoyed the "who down voted me" arguments. <---sarcasm font fully engaged.

harleymanjax's picture

I like the new look but I agree the old site was easier to navigate and I am spending less time on 11W now, and also commenting less.

"Because I couldn't go for 3"

+11 HS
bodast67's picture

He gone...

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

Jonnferrell's picture

Well, it's still a zillion times better than Mgoblog.  LOL

"I'm still hungry." --Brady Hoke

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Didn't we used to have Saturday Skull Sessions on the old site?

Jason Priestas's picture

Not since last summer.

Bags5150's picture

I'm trying hard to get used to the new site.  The bulk of my user time is on my ipad and I have been frustrated with load times and page scrolls which weren't an issue before.  I also find myself spending less time here and this is the first time I've commented since the switch.  I expect the bugs to be worked out but I too miss the latest comment order of topics.  One thing that hasn't changed is the quality of content.  Jason, While I'm sure it must be difficult to hear the criticism and frustrating at times, I implore you you to not stick your head in the sand and explain the issues away with discussion about what the intentions were.  These are real issues for real users and while some are just old fogies griping about change, most are regular users who want the most out of their experience here.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+4 HS
OSU1995's picture

Sorry, not on board with the new site.

“You have to make decisions, ... I've never pretended that every decision I've made was right. And I've been reminded of that.” 

- James Patrick Tressel

+1 HS
Bamabucknut's picture

I just don't like the new site layout.I'm seeing stories I don't want to see, and having to dig to make sure I didn't miss others.

+1 HS
DiasporaBuck's picture

So far I'm with you.  It takes me more clicks to find what I want, and in my opinion anything that makes a webpage look more like the redesign of foxsports.com is not a positive.  Hopefully, ongoing refinements will get it to a point where I'll like it better than the previous site, but we'll see.  I never thought the old site was broken (at least from a user standpoint), so "fixing" it seems to me more like a neutering.

OSU Class of 1999

One Bad Buckeye's picture

One thing I've seen a lot is folks complaining about iPhone compatibility....i don't see it.  I have the 5s with Verizon......no issues at all.  I think while there may be some bugs to work out, the new site is bad ass, plain and simple! I'm not trying to come down on any one person or group of people, but what I think what we're seeing a lot of here is good old fashioned reluctance-to-change syndrome.  

Remember folks, this is a "free membership" website that doesn't feel like a "free membership" website, that goes for content AND ease of use.  If I were to compare the new website to other buckeye websites (free or not) I would "do" the shit out of this website every time.  

My hats off to Jason and the staff for putting up with our whiny, bitchy asses.  

Thanks for the gorgeous new site and all the hard work 11W's!!!!! Rock on. Go Bucks!

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS