Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

Helpful Suggestion: Replace "Most Commented" with a "Most Active" on sidebar

Colin's picture
February 12, 2014 at 9:12pm
35 Comments

I realize everything is new and there are many people trying to be helpful with feedback on site bugs and (a lot of) complaints. This isn't so much a complaint as me trying to suggest something that I think could benefit all of us. I feel the "Most Commented" section would be better replaced with a "Most Active" or something similar so people who come to the homepage know what articles are getting the most interest or where the main discussions are currently taking place. The "Most Commented" to me doesn't really provide either because the top posts so far have consisted of outdated game threads or skull sessions, which wouldn't really have any relevant discussion to that day. Game threads are flooded with hundreds of comments that are mainly just reactionary and the posts linger at the top of "Most Commented" as a result. In my opinion they don't contribute anything after the games are over so their presence on the sidebar are a waste.

InvertMyVeer's picture

Good call. I thought about sending the same thing in as a suggestion.

Football is complicated...

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Surprisingly it took me awhile to realize there was a more button at the bottom because I kept trying to find the NEW topics but couldn't locate them. You make a good point and I think eventually we will have this site up and running to perfection (or as close to it as possible) in no time.

Buckeyeneer's picture

Great comment. I am still trying to get a firm grasp on the navagation of this site and I think that is a good suggestion.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Jason's on Holiday until next Tuesday, but I agree Colin. No reason for my Monday Skull Session to be relevant at this point. Also would be a good switch-out for the Recent Comments section, which people seemed to really like.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Oyster's picture

Don't sell yourself short...

+2 HS
vitaminB's picture

You're one hell of a slouch.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

However, it won't be long before Bucksfan 2.0 winds up permanently on the home page .....so there's that

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

British way of saying vacation.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

GoBucks713's picture

You're from Marion, not Manchester. Get your act together son. I expect two meth purchases to make this right.

-The Aristocrats!

+3 HS
sharks's picture

'Most commented' should be gone.  I'd just expand the recently commented to double what it is now.

I'd also put an arrow icon at the top of the homepage (on mobile) to zip/warp down to the comments at the bottom.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

10,000 times yes on that icon. Or something to pull over from the right containing the bottom menu. 

Remy's picture

I completely agree about the Most Commented, not necessary.

Would love to see the topic being bumped to the top of the page return. Remember when a comment was made in the thread and the topic was moved to the top of the list? That kept the topic relevant and alive. Just my:

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." ~ Mitch Hedberg

+2 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

100% agree with this... That top of the list kept me coming back multiple times of the day to see what was new and where people were "hanging out".   The Most Commented rarely has anything of interest for me.  

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

The active topics view, which is the default view on the forum page, provides this functionality, no?

Crimson's picture

Active topics works well for forum topics.  We're used to being able to do the same for Articles, Buckshots, and Blogposts.  Maybe in the future everyone will adjust and create forum topics to talk about articles, but right now it's discouraging conversation rather than transferring it to the forums.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I think the idea is to shortcut that process. Rather than going to forums and scrolling down, it would be on the current page. Where it used to be, no?

+4 HS
BoFuquel's picture

Needs much more scarlet. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Well I think I agree that most commented will eventually become a stagnant list of Hall of Fame, but not really relevant currently posts. I think Jason was planning the demise of the recent comments for awhile because with the rise in popularity and during peak times the list would not keep up with the comments and be rendered worthless.

If you click on the forums "tab" up top it takes you to a forums summary list that gives you a recent option and an active option. Active threads seems more useful on the front page than most commented. Also if you keep it to active threads instead of individual comments then maybe it can keep up a little better as it can show not the 100 individual comments happening every hour, but the 5-10 threads those 100 comments are on.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Or what if it was most commented today? Or this week? Like a most commented post could only stay up there for 48 or 36 hours or something?

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

OSUStu's picture

That would help.  But I still don't think it is as valuable as a recent comments list.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Colin's picture

Jason said they removed that because they were getting serial downvoters who would just track specific users based on the Recent Comments list. If that's the case I don't have a problem with not having it but I think just pointing to where most people are commenting could help. It just takes away the commenter identifier.

Oyster's picture

Actually he was referring to the Tracker (in response to Andy) when he said that about people using it to DV specific people.  The Recent Comments was more about selling to advertisers and off color language on the front page.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Jason did previously say that the recent comments list was removed to curb serial DVing.  But, I don't really understand how the recent comments list could have facilitated that.  Oyster you may be right about the advertising as a practical reason why it is not a feature of this site. 

The tracker is still available, and it is what facilitates repeatedly DVing of another member.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

OSUStu's picture

during peak times the list would not keep up with the comments and be rendered worthless.

I didn't know this was a problem.  I don't think I ever had an instance where my own comments couldn't be seen in the Recent Comments list.  I assume peak times are during games and major events.  During those times, almost everyone is commenting on the same topic anyway so the Recent Comments list isn't as important.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Well of course you'll see your own comment, it loads right after you commented. But what about the fact that when it shows 10 comments and people are commenting at 10/minute your comment is only up there for one minute. And I agree that happens a lot when it's an open thread and it's all on the same thread, but Jason wants the comments to come even across several stories I'm sure.

It is also a good point about not wanting comments to show up individually on the front page because of content. You can't control what commenters say, at least you can't instantly delete it, so it can have some choice words show up on the front page. That can be fixed by keeping the actively commented on stories/threads in a running list instead of the individual comments.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I see what you mean.  I thought you meant the comments weren't loading at all due to the high demand.  I have to ask, why does it matter if comments come ever across multiple stories?  I don't think that is ever going to happen.  I think that is and should be more a function of content quality and topic.

As to you second point, I do sympathize with controlling front page content.  Maybe a link to a separate Recent Comments page would work?

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I guess I mean a couple of things with the even commenting. I don't mean equal commenting, but that not just one story at a time will be commented on. Like we want discussions happening in lots of places at once. I think that's why we have the big stories up top as the header now, he wants some stuff to stay relevant and yet get lots of little stories to come across the front page without pushing the big stuff farther down and out.

buckeyeEddie27's picture

Agree with this idea.  Good call.

One thing I was wondering is if its my computer's set up or if it's how the link is set up but the links at the end of skullies don't open to a new tab, so when I'm done with the link I have to either hit the back button or just go back to the home page.  If it's something on my end I'll fix it, but if its a change that could be made that would be cool too.  Otherwise thanks, the new site is awesome!

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+2 HS
theobi's picture

This is the number 1 thing the new site needs. If we get this back, no complaints from me.

+2 HS
hodge's picture

Might be worthwhile to instead track the "hottest" discussions.  That way we can see which 5-10 threads are getting the majority of the conversation, rather than individual contributions to them.

Regardless, I'd love to have the "recent comments" field back instead of the "most commented" that's here now.  Great idea!

+3 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I think it would be cool to actually have a picture of the helmet sticker next to the voting option. jmo

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

And then maybe you would get some "wings" rather than a down vote?

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.