Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

What everyone is thinking but won't say...

danman9450's picture
February 7, 2014 at 11:54am
184 Comments

11w has the best info and staff in all of buckeye nation but the new website is overkill. The looks are improved but navigation is obviously more difficult. It's like putting a supercharger on a semi truck.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Actually, here's what I'm thinking:

"It appears that no one can upvote a forum topic any longer, so hopefully this will decrease the number of forums created to fish for upvotes."

Read my entire screen name....

+34 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Or it will increase the number of forum topics that are ludicrous because they can't be downvoted into oblivion

+13 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

New supermods can kill forum topics instantly.

Killer nuts's picture

With great power comes great responsibility... On a side note, you have definitely increased my interest in making an absurd forum topic and seeing how long its lifetime on this site is but I'll refrain. In all seriousness, I appreciate all the work you all have put into the new site, we'll adjust to new wrinkles and you guys can iron out the bugs and we'll go about our lives happily posting gifs and memes in no time

Seattle Linga's picture

I believe the leader board has either been taken away or they are still refining it. If it has been taken away for good then the upvotes will no longer matter. Logging on to just get upvotes will be a "thing of the past" and only the serious fans regarding tOSU sports will check in.

All the nutbags will be gone!!!!!!!!!!!! 

+5 HS
741's picture

God, I hope so... But I am dubious on your theory.

+1 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

You sir, are an optimist.  You just can't get rid of all the nutbags here or anywhere else in life.  The only goal is to not be in their club.

+3 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

Its a new site. Its going to take some getting used to navigation-wise. The other site was "easy to navigate" most likely because you got so used to it and it was like a second nature eventually. The same will happen with this site. Overall, it is a big improvement. Let's take notice here that the owners of a FREE (and ridiculously awesome) website made changes in the name of advancement and improvement. I thank them for that, and that it continues to be free. Cheers, 11W!

+18 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Not to mention that, as someone with a bit of design experience, this website is a million times better than the old one. Definitely not overkill. And in the words of Barney Stinson, "New is always better."

I love the new website, and I'm extremely proud of the 11W staff for making this happen.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+9 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks. Your account should show those 15,000 helmet stickers I promised.

TNbuckeye91's picture

hey uhhh...jason. please sir, can i have some more? (tiny tim voice)

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I thought it was Oliver Swift who said that...  could be mistaken though.

+1 HS
TNbuckeye91's picture

whoa man...you are definitely right. thanks for the heads up.  no wonder he didn't hook me up. 

Earle's picture

Oliver Twist

Italics are for emphasis.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

D'oh.  Now I have to figure out who the heck Oliver Swift is.  

RedStorm45's picture

Star Wars.  Lawyered.

And in the words of Barney Stinson, "New is always better."

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I'm not thinking that. No need to throw a large net out of "everyone" when I bet there are a large amount of people who are really liking the site and think it's rather easy to move around. It's just new and we need to get used to it like the last site. Give it some time, man.

+5 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I have a strong feeling that a lot of people feel this way but will not voice their opinion for fear of how they will be judged by their fellow 11warriors. If the staff wants honest and open feedback on the new site they need to create a way to do it anonymously. I imagine the select few that got to test the beta also felt like they probably felt like they had to say everything was better. Its not horrible and it is reacting faster on my PC but something just doesn't feel right. Maybe it was not bringing the old threads along or maybe it is something more major. My screen just feels like there is less substance going on and more shiny things.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+27 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

I understand the need for negative and positive feedback, but what is the staff supposed to take from this forum post? 

"Oh, this guy thinks the new layout is shit. He says that everyone thinks the same thing, as well. He must be right, so let's just throw this year-long project in the garbage and go back to the old layout."

-4 HS
FitzBuck's picture

The key takeaway is that Fitzbucks shitty iPhone 4S doesn't work well on this site and it's making him crazy.  I need my fix I'm getting the shakes.  (Sarcasm font)

Seriously we owe this site and staff to point out and help fix any and all bugs.  They do so much for us, do this for them and help them without complaining.  If anyone wants to complain then they can piss off.

Again point out everything but bitch about nothing....agreed?

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+11 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I understand the need for negative and positive feedback, but what is the staff supposed to take from this forum post?

That Jake is prone to hyperbole & strawmen in lieu of valid arguments?

Oh wait, you meant the original post that you erroneously quoted? The staff probably took it in stride understanding that there is always going to be a percentage that doesn't some of the changes and that negative feedback is often more valuable than positive.

+1 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

I didn't erroneously quote anybody. My "quote" at the end was a sarcastic hypothetic response from the staff, which is why it was in italics. You're right, negative feedback is often more valuable than positive feedback. This was not one of these cases. This was a simple complaint that he didn't like the new website. There were no details regarding what he didn't like or what exactly is wrong with the new site. Sure, he said it was hard to navigate, but that is pretty damn broad "negative feedback." What about it is hard to navigate? Stating that a new website layout is hard to navigate just after its release and before even taking the time to get used to it is simply being averse to change. Complaining that you want the old website back is not constructive. 

-1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

He said it was hard to navigate, which is plenty enough to validate his point. Now, it's a reach to say that "everyone" is thinking this and just not saying it, but that is a phrase that is not supposed to be taken literally. We all know that it really means "many people must be thinking as I am and not saying so", but it's never a good idea to speak for a group, when none of us know what the majority on here think.

But I agree, my first reaction was, NO LIKE. But I'm old school, I always check this site on my laptop, I don't ever cruise it on my phone. I assume that the interface looks great on most phones or tablets.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

BuckeyeDale's picture

Regardless of why, or painting with a broad brush, if someone just doesn't like it, for one or 50 reasons...so?

I don't like it.  Don't like the look, don't like the way it navigates.  Just don't like the new format.

BuckeyeDale
GO BUCKS!!

+5 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

I imagine that the people testing the site gave their honest opinion. I doubt people on 11W are coming to hero-worship the people that run the site.

Obviously, some people don't like the site and are saying that. But I think they should give a few days before saying it is bad.

While not completely anonymous, you can always send your comments to the site (see the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom). Then other members won't see the comment and only site admins would. I think well-reasoned and thoughtful comments would be of use to the staff. Maybe then then can address why changes have been made or your concerns. Or send an email from a "burner" account.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

sharks's picture

I'm on the fence. Going to give it a few days

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+7 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

You don't tell me what I think, only my wife does!

P.S. I like the site. I don't see much different except it just looks different. everything else is pretty much the same.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+4 HS
Crimson's picture

Yeah, that was my first thought.  I'm adjusting.

KingsRite's picture

The only issues I've had is on my iPod Touch 4G and Safari but that is buggier than heck most of the time. Looks great on Google Chrome on my laptop. :)

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Overall, I like the new layout.  I do kind of miss the forum listing on the side - will take getting used to.

Also,I see a Twitter button that I assume will simplify the embedding of tweets.  Good features.  Still have the sarc font so I can say this new layout sucks.

Class of 2010.

+9 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

It will take some getting used to and the staff will likely work with any and all feedback you can give them.  I would hope and imagine that the 11W community would take it easy on DVing any feedback you give them.   This said, something more constructive would probably help them out.

For instance, I'd like to be able to see the recent comments like we used to as well as seeing more forum topics.

Read my entire screen name....

+6 HS
Kindell's picture

I work in software development and I deal with this a lot.  Anytime you have something that you have been used to for so long, it is going to take some time for you to adjust.  

I can't imagine all the coding and testing that was put into this new design. I think the navigation is actually easier because you don't have to scroll as much to see what is there.  They layout is generally the same, but with and upgraded feel to it.  Just my opinion, but so far I love the new site.  

+5 HS
Oyster's picture

I liked being able to see who had just recently made a comment.  If I could add anything that would be the only thing.

I do like that in the profile the ICON is much bigger.  That will be especially nice for certain ICONS.  Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+7 HS
AndyVance's picture

Agreed. I'm missing the "tracker" feature, which was pretty darn handy.

+6 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

We killed the tracker because we had way too many people using it to methodically go through and downvote every comment left by someone they were upset with. The tracker was why we couldn't have nice things.

Oyster's picture

It won't stop them.  If they are set to seek somebody out, they will.  Heck, Earle found me within 30 minutes this morning!

+9 HS
AndyVance's picture

Apparently since I'm not an evil bastard at heart, I never thought about using it that way. I just always used it to follow my own content... Perhaps you could tie it to an individual's account settings, so I could only see my own tracker, and not everyone else's. Something to ponder for future tinkering.

And what about blog posts? Did they make the migration as well? Some of my greatest hits were buried in my blog at 11W :)

+9 HS
Oyster's picture

What are you callng the Tracker?  The list of recent comments by everyone or the list of posts you made when you look at your profile?  If it's the profile, I can still see other peoples comments in their profile, so that could be used to terrorize your nemesis.  I don't see how the list of recent comments would be an efficient way to strike back at somebody who hurt your feelings.

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

On the old version, if you scrolled to the bottom of the "recent comments" on your profile page, there was a link that said "track" and took me to a list of everything I either wrote or commented on, based on the most recent thread bumped. It was the easiest way for me to see new comments on any thread I was participating in...

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

I think this is the biggest omission on the site right now.  The recent comments bar was extremely useful for seeing where other members were having conversations at any one time.  The "tracker" as I understand it was the list of most recent comments made by a single member and was accessed by visiting that member's profile.

In fact, you can still get access to this on any member's profile.  I think 11W got rid of the wrong thing if it wants to curb systematic DVing of other members.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
Crimson's picture

I completely agree with you.  The old site had My Account, where you could see a scrollbox of most recent comments and the first few words of each, which is basically what we have now.  We used to also have a Tracker, i.e. 11W.com/tracker, that had two tabs.  The first one listed every single thread, and the second listed every thread you have commented on, both sorted by most recently updated.

Several months ago, they deleted the link to the tracker on the main page, but you could still go there if you typed it in manually.  What we have now still lets you go and be a downvote troll (or upvote every Meechy post), but we don't have access to the overall lists of most recently updated threads (outside of the forum).  Personally, I would trade the My Account type posts to get the tracker back, and I think that is going to hurt site traffic.  I really don't spend much time on the football and recruiting pages since the redesign, because it's much harder to see if someone has commented on one of the articles.  There's no incentive to go back and bump an old thread, because no one will see it.  If the staff is that worried, they should at least make the My Account stuff only work for your own account, but I really want the tracker back.

+4 HS
Oyster's picture

STU and Crimson, you are both correct.  Once Andy sparked my memory I remembered the Tracker.  I rarely used it, because I would only go back a few posts the next day to review and they were visible on my account in a scroll bar.  I would like to see the recent comments come back because we can then see who is currently posting and in what forums/topics.  It makes it easier to get into a conversation about things too because you know who is on line.

However, it's not my website and I don't know all the headaches involved in running it.  I will take what they give us and be happy. 

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Thanks Jason - wow, that's service right there!

Edit: There used to be a link on one's profile to his or her blog... I'm not seeing that on my profit, so perhaps that's something that didn't migrate.

Oakland Buckeye's picture

Unless I'm missing it - I no longer can see how people have responded to my posts, ie DV & UVs - I can see the on yours, but have no Idea if my posts have touched the masses.... going off to feed the hungry now.

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

You can't see the record on your posts, but you can see the net up/downvotes.  Once you get one or the other, you'll see that.  I haven't seen someone complain about a DV yet, so it's working.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

They will, just be patient.

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I felt like I should downvote this just to see if it would work, but then I realized you likely don't give a shit and upvoted it.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Love the new site, but I miss the "Recent Comments" section.  It's harder to tell if there are new comments on a topic without actually having to go to the article/thread.

+13 HS
vitaminB's picture

Feels too much like Windows 8 to me.

+11 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

As much as I loathe Windows 8 myself, eventually it will become the status quo (and this will probably be sooner than we all want it to be).  Those who don't take the initiative to follow along will end up being left behind as technology progresses.  I'm glad 11W is keeping up with the times.

+1 HS

In all honesty Android has a stronger argument for being the next status quo. Mobile OS are going to dominate the market for the average user and Microsoft is not a dominant player in that field.

-1 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

sorry friend.  disagree with the android argument.  The sheer volume of variety in the open source community is why you are hearing so many android and galaxy users on here complaining the site looks funny.  If they can't even standardise within the community the ability to dominate the market is weaker and they will splinter into sub groups.  If it was easier and logical, Android should have already taken over and dominated.  Since it can't... Apple is driving the industry innovation (probably into the nearest ditch but wutevs)

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

iOS market share has dropped since it's peak in 2011 (down to roughly 15% from 17%). Android is at just under 30% . Even more importantly Android devices are outselling iPhones by more than 2 to 1 and projected to triple those of iPhones by 2017.

Apple isn't really driving anything right now. The closed nature of iOS prevents widespread industry adoption. They're standing pat and enjoying large profit margins selling overpriced devices to people who see them as lifestyle fashion accessories.

Android is the dominate force in the market for the forseeable future.

+4 HS

Great to see somebody with a little market sense. I see you got DVed by a couple people that I'm sure did it from their overpriced iphone. I actually gave the apple products a try and the mac book was a very smooth running machine that I enjoyed even though the price was too high and I had less upgrade options. Android is absolutely going to bury the iphone here in the coming years and I can not understand why people would rather pay more to have less.(even some of their plans are extra) Most of the stuff a buddy of mine has on his iphone (Paid apps) I can get for free and it absolutely bugs the shit out of him. Its kind of the argument I have with my wife when she wants a new coach purse that costs 400 bucks. She has to admit that the purse does nothing better then a 50 dollar purse, but her friends and other people would view her differently because most of them all have one.

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

"Mobile OS are going to dominate the market"

That was kind of my point. I don't like windows 8 because it's a mobile OS on my laptop. I don't want a dumbed down computer or else I would have bought a tablet. But that's going to be the status quo fairly soon and I'll have to make like Bo Ryan and #DealWithIt.

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

I was wondering how long it would take before an Apple and Android argument broke out.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+6 HS
BEREABUCKEYE's picture

I'm about to fire up my old blackberry just to see how the new site looks on it.

+4 HS
e135800's picture

I'll get used to it. It looks better than other B1G sites and the trolls that stop by, especially from ttun, will be mighty confused and give up. 

+3 HS
TNbuckeye91's picture

i can't even begin to express my disdain for mgoblog. That site is just plain ugly. The whole layout and feel is just turrible.

+2 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Mgoblog is so cluttered anymore it's hard to find anything beyond the up front articles.  It is indeed turrible.

Like many have said here, I love the new format but I miss the recent comments.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

Maybe if we keep lamenting on not having the recent comments enough, somebody might hear us?  I know I try to comment on it every chance I get.

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

How is it that on this page, the author is DANMAN, but in the forum window the author shows up as Jason?

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I guess it's showing my name because I moved this forum topic from its original home in the football forum to the site stuff forum because of the topic.

Weird. Guess we'll have to add that to the list of things to look at.

bleedscarletpissmaize's picture

I know there is a thread for this but I'm having a really hard time scrolling up and down on the mobile site. I can't make it to the bottom of the page to see the cool things that could possibly be down there. I'm not having troubles on any other site with scrolling up or down.

+1 HS
e135800's picture

Is there an app for 11W now?

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed in the mobile presentation.  Hopefully some of the bugs go away and I adapt. The whole thing seems less intuitive and more new. Are Buckshots gone or can I just not see them?

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

If you are on mobile, the sidebar is at the bottom. Standard stuff for a responsive website. And yeah, I'll agree, the new site does seem “more new.”

brandonbauer87's picture

Is it possible to make the stuff at the bottom "float" on the right? I'm having the same trouble scrolling as other described in the bugs thread. Allowing the page to load centered but have the ability to scroll right would be fantastic. The sidebar could float so that in a large thread you wouldn't need to scroll through the entire thread to move to the next. Does my rambling make sense?  

FitzBuck's picture

What device?  My issue is with the 4s but Birm told me his 5s works fine.  Also to access my profile I have to click my user name on a post.  The shortcut name on the top left doesn't work.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

brandonbauer87's picture

I'm on a 5 and have both of the same issues as you. I'm usually on here 20 times a day on my phone and I've only brought myself to be on 3 times today. It's just too difficult on mobile. 

+1 HS
OSUStu's picture

Having the same problem on Android (Samsung S4) with accessing my profile.

TNbuckeye91's picture

On my galaxy s3, the whole top and menu bar when when i zoom, zooms in also. i doubt it's supposed to do that. i also can't get the top articles to scroll left or rigjt.

+1 HS
Bucks's picture

As the staff has said, the upgrade will allow them to do much more and that is a great thing.

Overall, I love the new site. Being unable to force desktop view is going to be hard to get used to but I'm going to give it time and adjust.

allinosu's picture

I doubt if I'm on as much. No recent comments bummer. I will live with it I guess.

+6 HS
southbay's picture

I like it so far but it does take some getting used to.  I do miss the "Active in the Forum" section on every page.  But on the plus side I don't have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page any more, woo hoo!

+1 HS
216ToThe614's picture

One of the changes that has stood out to me is the color of the title bar at the top of the screen. I was so used to seeing the scarlet colored logo and bar. The black throws me off, I feel like I'm on the homepage of SB Nation all the time.

I love everything else so far, this upgrade seems to be doing its job well of making things easier/smoother (and it has that new site smell to it)

Pick up your feet, turn your corners square! And DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!!
WB

+4 HS
NCBuckeye1's picture

I thought the same thing. Traditionalists will argue that black is not a color commonly associated with Ohio State, and will constantly be yelling "Get off my lawn you lousy good for nothings!"

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be civilization." -- Woody

+2 HS
Phoenix824's picture

I feel like I just got this brand new car and I have a little bit of buyers remorse because I am now in debt up to my ears.   But then I turn around and realize I paid for a keg-o-rator in the trunk and the party is now always where I am so I am drunk and happy.   And because I am drunk and happy I now don't know where my keys are or my glove box but I will find them when I am good an ready because "Hey look at my brand new car and its got a keg of beer in the trunk and not the cheap beer either I got 3 Floyds Dark Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

+6 HS
oh_dad55's picture

Easy to read the text.  Just need practice for navigation.  So far so good.

Oh_Dad

Yeah pretty much the recent comments on the right hand side have to come back. Like if there is no way to add that to the right side then I officially quit. Wait hold up,I do not work here any more.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I like: That you only see the net up/down votes on your own comments. That should limit the bickering about downvotes on a comment that has been predominantly upvoted

I dislike: That the active forums don't repopulate at the top of the list, instead they are active and slowly move down the list while new forums are made and they kind of disappear. I realize we should go to the new forum layout page to combat this but its so easy when the active stuff is over on the right side of the screen

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

New things? HISS!

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Earle's picture

You're just irritable because you can't look at the leaderboard.

+7 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I didn't notice that until after I posted...

This is your fault Earle. ;_;

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Jason Priestas's picture

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We are not above constructive criticism and feedback, but we also understand a significant portion of the community will dislike new things. That's not to say we don't have some work to do to tighten things up, but at the same time, the old site is dead.

vitaminB's picture

I would just add, and I'm sure it's already been brought up, but if you could put a number of new comments next to the number of comments in the scarlet call out boxes that would be great....(didn't mean to sound like office space there)

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

That's on the list. Will definitely help.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

"Eleven Warriors is dead!  Long live Eleven Warriors!"  And so forth...

+7 HS
danman9450's picture

Is it all dead or mostly dead? There's a big difference.

+5 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I think the "Princess Bride" reference was lost on someone.

"If it's all dead, there's only one thing you can do.  Dig through the pockets for loose change!  If it's only mostly dead, it's slightly alive..."

+6 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

On Android here... The home screen only shows 1 1/2 banner segments and won't let you scroll left and right.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

On mobile devices, the site shrinks to just one column. There is no scrolling left and right – the sidebar pops to the bottom below front page articles. Please spread the word because I've heard this a lot today.

Banner segments will be fixed.

Yes yes. Understood on the one column. I was only referencing the front page top new stories.

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

Jason Priestas's picture

Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Sure can and did. I just am unable to post anything but a comment on phone. I sent it to 11w Facebook message if that helps.

Borrowed Time's picture

Like: Faster, more content on front page, Easier to read font. More professional looking bottom banner. New upvoting / downvoting rules with your own posts, and the ability to change your vote. I like that you have kept the old template, as that was one of my favorite parts of the site (different locations are easy to access).

Dislike: Doesn't look as "clean" anymore because of all of the new graphics. Wish there were more forum posts at the right side that would show up that were recently commented on like the old site. Wish new comments would show up - but this has already been talked about. I liked the old color change for new comments (the yellow-ish color) that would alert you it was a new comment.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Can I be the first to ask that the image for Forum Topic 'Anything Else' be changed.  Frankly, I was a little afraid to click on it.....

+6 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Sure. Let's hear suggestions for a replacement.

KBonay's picture

My vote, anything of JL, since she seems to be the default mascot at 11W.  Without risk of it becoming a NSFW thread.

+6 HS
TNbuckeye91's picture

Whatever, the anything else picture is perfect.

BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

I will also express my appreciation that the site is run by such dedicated people.  I guess I'm not completely bummed about an update, but the sites that are using this kind of new format (SB Nation, Slate, Salon, AV Club) are very hard to use.  There are too many pictures and not enough text.  (And the pictures are so big!)  Each line of text is spaced very widely and the text is far larger than it needs to be.  Yes, I can scroll down on the sizing of the page, but then the sidebars are too small.  And some of the sidebars are gone. 

Menus and navigation should always be more obvious and useful; not less.  I once spent a ton of time at AV Club and Salon and Slate.  I no longer spend much time at these places.  Why?  Everything is hidden.  The menus, when they do still exist, are difficult to find.  The Apple-esque obsession with design is resulting in web pages that are harder to use.  Yes, a larger top bar makes a site a little messier and uglier...but it helps people find the articles they are looking for.  (And didn't know they were looking for.)  A few menus on the side of the screen clutter up the design, too.  But they help people use the site. 

From what I can tell so far, this redesign isn't as bad as the ones I've mentioned; I guess I just dislike that we're in a society in which folks seem to care more about how things look than the quality of the information they receive.  (And I'll reiterate that the information here is amazing.)

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+14 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

I can see you're trying to be diplomatic about this, Poet. Trying to make a free, awesome website that is the best at what it does even better. Nothing to piss and moan about that.

+1 HS
njclebuckeye5's picture

I've seen you mention Apple in a couple comments. I definitely understand your greater point, but Apple makes it a point to make their stuff intuitive, their design is a bonus because hardware and software are integrated. My grandparents used to struggle with Android phones and PCs, but picked up iPhones and Macs with ease. 

Sorry, my dad made me kind of an Apple patriot. I agree with a lot of what you said. 

Lobs it to the endzone... Touchdown Devin Smith!!

+1 HS

Evanston - I do hope it's clear I'm not just being a jerk to the hardworking people who have done so much for this site.  I would be pretty angry if someone just crapped on something into which I put so much labor and thought and time.  I understand that the whole Internet is going to a shallower click-on-this-slideshow format.  (11W is still providing great content, of course.)  One of the reasons I hate SB Nation, etc. is that the articles are 100 words long, were just copy/pasted from another site and there are 12,000 pictures on a page that takes forever to load and sometimes crashes my computers.  11W is very much interested in great content, but these other sites are not, and it shows.  Those sites are clearly clickbait ad revenue delivery systems.

NJCLEBUCKEYE5 - This is the United States of America and I wouldn't take away your love of Apple, even if I had a magic wand.  I disagree greatly with respect to the ease of use of Apple products.  Yes, I know that you can buy a mouse with two buttons, but Apple mice only have one button.  They're harder to use.  Even the on/off switches are hidden; Apple prefers to make things that look sexy than work well. (And I hate their DRM and refuse to do iTunes.) I do think "intuitive" is a problem with respect to computers and computer programs...how does the computer know what I want?  The newer versions of Word have hidden all of the menus.  What in the world was the point of that?  Perhaps the thing that confuses me most is that the box that comes up when you hit CTRL+F will no longer give you FIND and FIND/REPLACE options.  I still don't know what happened to FIND/REPLACE.  I will need it someday.

Another thing that confuses me about this trend toward eliminating usefulness: There was a site that featured spreadsheets for teachers; you know, you can download the spreadsheets and they make it easy to figure out a grade once you pop in the value of each paper.  Well, one semester, I went to try and find the spreadsheet, but the links were gone.  I asked what happened to the links and I was told that they were eliminated so the page would look cleaner.  The files were still available, but they were only accessible through clairvoyance, apparently. 

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+2 HS
SilverState's picture

The pictures are huge! (I just told my bro I have to lean back to be able to focus.)

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Not a big fan of the "tabletization" of websites.  All those large images on the frontpage are just fighting for attention and make me feel cramped.  The frontpage and even news articles just feel really "top heavy" with large images. 

My suggestion would be to axe those 3 large images at the top of the front page.  Things would look more uniform anyway.

See this picture for a better idea

+10 HS
peko's picture

I appreciate the effort re-branding the site...and it is GREAT that the site is device-aware now (looks nice on mobile devices).

But let's be honest, this looks like an SBnation site now.  Kinda disappointing.  I feel like my eyes are being assaulted by as many high-res images as they could fit on to one webpage.

Is it too late to go back to the writing/reporting/news-centric version of the site rather than the current "look at this, look at this, look at this" version?

+14 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Did the writing/reporting/news change? DID WE WIN?

Earle's picture

FIRE PRIESTAS!!!

+9 HS

I really do love the content and the quality of the commenters here!  I'm not trying to be a dumb I-don't-like-it jerk. 

+2 HS
peko's picture

I'm sure the content will continue to be as excellent as ever.  Just not thrilled with the pics-in-your-face-ness of the new site.  I'm probably in the minority, but prefer the simplicity of sites like fangraphs to the attention grabby sites like SBnation.

+2 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

I kinda like the pics... and the fact they load lickety split even more!  but I'm probably part of the geriatric/prepubescent majority of non porn web users... wait, that's a good thing!?

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license. ~ John Milton

TheBadOwl's picture

It's going to be hilarious seeing this exact same thread pop up in 4-5 years when 11W does another redesign...

Edit: Also, two really subtle things that I love about the new site: The rollover effect on the Eleven Warriors banner at the top-left, and the easter egg in the source code.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+5 HS
jedkat's picture

Overall I enjoy the look and feel of the site. The one sadness I have is www.elevenwarriors.com/tracker‎ no longer works and now I have to dig in the forums individually instead of having a nice list of every topic ever with new and new comments at the top. Just made quick browsing of topics easier. Ce'st la Vie.

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+4 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Where is the DV button?

LEBRON

lsjSnail's picture

I feel like it is overkill. Anyone who enjoys Reddit will see that simplicity is the way to go. I don't like how all these pictures are thrown in your face of which we have already seen plenty of times in previous articles. I love the content obviously, but it's too flashy for me even as a younger member. The font is also obnoxious to me for whatever reason. This is just my opinion. I just don't like the new layout.

The forum section is a nightmare, red text on that light background is an eyesore. Needs bolder thread titles. Everything is too busy looking. Getting updates seems like more work now :(

+9 HS
BassDropper's picture

I like the site. But, it's going to take a long time to get used to. The other layout was such a classic and had an intimate feel to it. This is way too mainstream for me. Feels like a part of me died this morning with the new change. That's all. 

DIRECTIONER

+11 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Think you guys tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

+18 HS
BassDropper's picture

This x10000000. Risky move imo

DIRECTIONER

+6 HS
LouBuck35's picture

If anyone had read Jason's explanation, you will find that the site wasn't changed just because it was needed a facelift - there was a lot of functionality for the staff that was lacking in the old site. This new site gives them the ability to continue to give us top notch Buckeye coverage - for free - and gives them an easier, more efficient way to do so. How this is considered "risky" or some other form of similar thought, I will have no idea. Holding onto the thought of "I like it the old way" is the same as whining about "the way things used to be". Whether it be a website, program, OS, or any business - looking into and holding on the past only impedes your progress forward.  Keep up the great work men of 11W. I salute you for taking a chance and producing a great looking site.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+4 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

I think they want times new roman font size 12 back with their plain white toast and missionary style browsing.  guys... live a little!

+4 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I applaud the efforts on the new site ..... continue to embrace change!

I do have a question about interacting with the site though. I used to read the main articles, read the Buckshots and scan the forum topics that were "bumped" on the right of the page - I never actually went into the forums page. Is that feature still here?

Thanks for a great free site!

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

After playing around a bit, I really do like the new layout.  Very well done, guys. 

Maybe add Live Tiles in the future?

Class of 2010.

-1 HS
LouGroza's picture

You screwed the pooch by doing such a great job with the old site. It was just so easy to navigate and use. Nothing taking your mind or eyes away from what you were there for, succinct is the word that comes to mind. I also was thinking SB Nation upon initial look at the new layout. This site is free and there is NOTHING anyone can complain about. Much work went into this new layout and it is to be admired. I hoped with the second day, a fresh look would result in a different reaction but it was still a work in progress in my mind. It will take some time but the work it took to do this is much appreciated.

+2 HS
flipbuckeye's picture

I can't even imagine how hard it would be to run this site and to implement a new site design on top of that, so let me just say that I appreciate everything 11W has done and continues to do, but I just have to wonder if enough beta testing was done. I think most people would eventually grow to love the changes (except maybe the super large, in your face pictures and text), but there are just so many glaring, sometimes crippling bugs that prevent a smooth experience on multiple platforms that I can't help but think it was released too soon.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Eh, I don't know if that's fair to say. I think there are a couple of bugs on certain screens, but, man, that stuff is so hard to test for with the proliferation of devices and resolutions we've seen the last few years. We tested against the devices and sizes that make up 95% of our visitors. We're seeing some edge cases for certain devices and operating systems.

You're also assuming we have a QA department and we're not an indie site with a small staff and a shoestring budget. This stuff isn't easy.

741's picture

I am loving the new site design.

One small item to add to a wish list for additional improvements: it would be cool to see up/down votes on my posts in My Account Activity view. I like seeing an indicator for replies there, seeing votes would be even better.

Grateful for all the work you guys at 11W do. Thank you!

[Edit: I totally put this comment in the wrong thread. Oh well.]

+3 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

That would be cool. I'll add it to our list.

rbesr's picture

The new look caught me by surprise but I have no complaints with the overall look and feel of the place. Having been involved with updating two other sites I manage I understand the comments about missing features previously available. All I can say is keep up the good work. Most are not aware of the amount of time and effort needed to maintain sites like this. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

teddyballgame's picture

I visited the site on my tablet last night and you guys really hit it out of the park there.  It's perfect for a vertical orientation where the resolution gives you more height than width.  I imagine I would like the site a lot better on my desktop if I rotated my display to a portrait orientation instead of landscape.

theobi's picture

I think all of the sidebar should have been left alone. One thing I really miss is how topics were bumped based on the newest comment. I think we lost a lot with that not being included. I know it will take some getting used to, but I really think the old classic look did not need to be changed.

+4 HS
Phillips.449's picture

I agree with the bumping sidebar comment.  I personally thing EVERYTHING else is better, and LOVE the new look.  It was easier to keep up with a conversation when topics were bumped as comments were made.  With that said KICK A$$ job on the site, this was obviously a lot of work.

OSUStu's picture

Agree on the bumping of topics by the latest comment.  It is what let good topic thrive and crap topics die.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

That stuff is still here. Go to elevenwarriors.com/forum and then click the "Active" tab. 

Crimson's picture

It looks like this works for the forums.  Can we get something like this for articles as well?

Also, holy cow!  The preview button works.

theobi's picture

Thanks Jason. And I will say, the new site is definitely growing on me. If you are taking suggestions though, would it be possible to add the Active Forum tab to the sidebar? Maybe under the recent posts? That is something I could see being very well received. 

Buckeye Knight's picture

Aren't most semi's turbocharged diesels?

Buckeye Knight's picture

After spending some time around the new site, my only suggestion would be to make the new comments much easier to spot in each thread.  Scrolling down and seeing the yellow highlight made it super quick and easy on the old format.  It doesn't necessarily have to be the same thing, but something just as obvious and easy to spot would be great.  The "NEW" flag in the avatar is not as quick.

+5 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Definitely miss the yellow.

+2 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

We'll do something about that. I agree, it's helpful.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Awesome, thanks guys! Other than that, love the look. And it looks great on the phone, too.

BassDropper's picture

I woke up this morning praying that this was just a bad dream and we still had the old layout. I guess the good news about the new layout is I have found myself spending less time on 11w.

DIRECTIONER

-7 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

Cool. Hopefully that means I don't have to read any more comments about how you're spending less time on 11W.

The old site isn't coming back. If that means you want to make a place like the Ozone your Buckeye destination, I can live with that. It doesn't thrill me, but I understand. If you just want to stop by to say you're spending less time on the site – I mean, what's the point?

BassDropper's picture

Change sucks that's all. I appreciate the hard work put in on the new site. I'm coming around and starting to like it a little bit. I just have a strong opinion on the old layout.

DIRECTIONER

gm3jones's picture

Did you know that there is not one single day that is the same as another? Out of the how ever many years we have been in existence every single day has been different in some way, shape or form. So change is essential. It is a part of nature. Give change a chance, BassDropper

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

LouBuck35's picture

Feel free to ask for all of your subscription fees back as part of leaving this site.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I finally found a blurred comment! By BassDropper, of course.

LEBRON

+1 HS
mb5599's picture

Gotta say...... I miss the old site.  Basic, simple and easy to use.  The old site actually ran faster on my computer.  Maybe just my computer though.  I appreciate the staff trying to make the site better for everyone, but sometimes there is no need for such drastic "improvement".  Also miss the tshirt advertisements with the hot girls that always seemed to greet me when I logged on.................................

Big B

+1 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

I have to disagree.  I'm not sure why but this site loads muuuuch faster from overseas.  I had grown used to a load lag time for stories after the main one to sometimes take several minutes especially if they had lots of comments.  This one loads bang!  kind of shocked at how different it is.  I had just taken it to be a great firewall problem and accepted it.

I do wonder how many of those people complaining about formatting are on S3 or S4s... dreadful things those.

lamplighter's picture

Not to be a downer, Jason, but your comments are a little "fickellesque", no/

+4 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I don't know. This is a great site with a lot of people busting their asses to bring the goods – and it's free. The new site is different, but there's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that it's a better site.

Some of the display problems and especially the scrolling complaints are legit and we're working to fix those. We're two days into this. You can expect us to tune and tweak this thing to make it as perfect as we can. We finally have a system that allows us to do that with ease.

I knew we'd have some issues to solve and knew we'd have some backlash regardless, due to change, but It's tough hearing people shit on it for some interface changes here and there.

“I can't see the recent comments on the front page anymore.” Great. It's tough for us to line up advertisers when “FUCK FICKELL” is showing up in the sidebar of the front page.

“It's feels too mainstream.” Well, I guess we could start charging subscriptions for the site, but we don't want to do that and as an indie, advertising is paramount. This responsive redesign gives us flexibility on this front.

Someone mentioned Reddit, which I love, but Reddit's still in the red, despite the billions of pageviews. We don't have a Condé Nast to pay our bills and Kyle and others don't work for free.

Fickellesque, human nature. Call it what you want.

Buckeyeneer's picture

Pay no mind. It was and will continue to be a great site because of the people involved. In a few weeks tweeks will be made and folks will get used to the new way of doing things here. You stated yourself when you first announced this that you expected this reaction from some people because . . . well, explain it Garth . . .

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

Jason, normally I enjoy your well reasoned discourse.  I also enjoy hearing about why we're switching to a new system and how it helps the 11W community in ways that aren't transparent to us.  However, beyond deleting threads with inappropriate titles, this isn't an argument you can win by fighting.  You can improve the site, and you can inform us about the positive impact of the change, but I think your two above posts do more harm than good.  You're complaining about other people complaining.  If you want people to buy into the new site, you can listen to proposed changes (which you do), and you can tell us about why this change is necessary, where you'd like the site to go, and how we can help.  Please stay above the fray, and I'm sure all of us will do our best to tell you what we want to improve this wonderful site.

+8 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Wait just one minute! 

Kyle gets paid?

Seriously, after two days it already feels like home again.  Have had no interface issues on PC/Windows7/Firefox.

Thanks for running a great free site.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

“I can't see the recent comments on the front page anymore.” Great. It's tough for us to line up advertisers when “FUCK FICKELL” is showing up in the sidebar of the front page.

lol

LEBRON

GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

I'm so confused.

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

DJ Byrnes's picture

Buddy, you don't even WANT to know what I'm thinking.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Crimson's picture

We never do, DJ.  We never do . . .

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

Jason-

I was on the live thread for the BB game today via iPhone 5.  About halftime, I could no longer scroll through comments.  It was extremely slow and lagging.  Seems to be the same on threads with a lot of comments or with pics/gifs posted. 

+1 HS
ScarletNGrey01's picture

The new site is freakin' awesome, top notch professional, beautiful layout and graphics.  Kudos to the 11W staff and everyone involved!

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

+1 HS
97Buckeye's picture

I guess I don't mind some style changes, but my biggest complaint would be that each screen shows much less information now than before. The text is just too large and the unused space too great. Also, I don't need a picture for each of the "Most Commented" and "Recent Posts" lists. They only serve to cut down on available space to list additional items.

+5 HS
BoFuquel's picture

NEEDS SCARLET AND GRAY. GO BUCKS1

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

buckeyestu's picture

So far I am still checking out the new site. I really liked the old site, I think mainly because I got use to it after being on so much. So for now, I will keep checking out this new site on my desktop and my smart phone. I think in the end, I will get as comfortable if not more so, as I was with the old site.

bukyze's picture

I haven't read EVERY comment on here, but a couple of things I noticed that noone has brought up yet, as I am trying to get used to the new site as well. First, a few of the replies bounce up and down.  Second,  I really, really, really miss the actual skull picture at the top of each Skull Session - I thought that was the coolest graphic of the entire site.  I believe it was also the main banner at the top of the home page.  And the skull t-shirt is no longer being sold in the dry goods section.  Lastly,  I think the current Eleven Warriors log with the state picture in the middle is pretty weak - very generic.  

+2 HS
lamplighter's picture

when all is said and done, the market will decide if this is good or bad - which is the way it should be.  Those who don't like the format and who cannot/will not adapt will fall off and so on.

It is better than what they did to the Fox website.  I won't go to the devils site (e something or other) and hardly go to Fox anymore

Cheers

Ashtabula's picture

I might not speak for the majority, but for the group of us that visit the site to devour news about our beloved Buckeyes, we love the new site.  As for the upvote, downvote, forum topic stuff, I can't really comment.  Just please don't disrupt the content.  

+2 HS
buckeyes7222's picture

Just an idea: have the poll on the site ask whether you preferred the old site to new, or some variation of that, such as if you preferred the old or new visuals. If the results are overwhelming one way or the other action can be taken.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

I remember when Scout changed last year. Everybody hated it and they were forced to switch back.......

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
DenBuck's picture

This site has incredible content and I love all the writers. That being said, I LOVED the old site and wish we still had it. The new site is "over the top"....My apologies. 

Buckeye For Life

+4 HS
BukFan's picture

Sorr.y....this new format BLOWS!

-3 HS
krodawg's picture

After a few days of bumbling and stumbling my sea legs are getting stronger. It would be interesting to get a snapshot of perceptions after a week or so. 

Josh P's picture

I don't comment much because I'm really just here for the writing/analysis, but I figured I'd throw out a quick thought or two:  

The new site is great, different, but anyone who has gotten a new computer or phone and had to adjust to a new OS (which I'm assuming is pretty damn close to 100% of the people here) can get used to a new website layout.  People on here complaining just because its different.. give it some time, and you'll find that in a week or two you'll have it figured out.  

Also, reading the staff responses to the actual critiques and requests made my day.  It's really awesome to see the time taken out to respond to things like that, especially when it would be much easier to just ignore it and let people figure this out on their own.  

Lastly, you can never ever go wrong with more Jennifer Lawrence.  Never.  

+2 HS
bucknut94's picture

I'm not a pessimist about the new layout, I'm an optometrist. LOL  It looks good to me. 

-1 HS
Colin's picture

I like the new design but I do have a gripe about the comment layouts. On one hand the fonts and spacing make them easier to read but on the other they take up so much space on my screen that I can't see many comments at one time. It feels like I'm on landscape mode on a mobile when I'm just on a laptop. I just kinda feel like the font size and line spacing could shrink a little bit. I'm forced to scroll almost nonstop and it's annoying.

+4 HS
BeijingBucks's picture

Ok just wanted to say.  Now that I've gotten used to the banner drop downs with the links to schedules, recruiting grids, etc on the right you have managed to banish my last demons of ESPN need.  Really really prefer easy access from the main page like that.

This is from my laptop.  Can't seem to find the same links on my mobile but I'm training myself to get used to it

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

The links are "sorta" there on mobile...  I have managed to make my phone "think" that I'm hovering over the Football/Basketball/Recruiting links in the menu bar off the banner...  and the links are there for a split second, but not long enough to actually click any of them.  The user account menu has the same issue.  Would be useful if these could be redesigned for mobile without requiring a mouseover (change the event to mouseclick instead and take the direct link mouseclick away?), which I would say 99.9% of mobile/tablet users will be unable to do.

vitaminB's picture

So it's been a week or so right?  I still do not like the re-design.  I'm sorry.  I guess the new design helps bring in more ad dollars, but it definitely takes away from my enjoyment of the site.  The content is still worldclass, for sure.  But the reason I fell in love with this site was it's simplicity.  It was one page with everything you needed right there.  Do you get paid more if I have to scroll more?

+4 HS
danman9450's picture

While they do not get paid more for the amount of scrolling you do, they do get paid more for each time you view a new page. Notice how you have to go through 3 different pages to find info that used to only take you one page? The more "page views" the site receives the more they can charge for advertisement. While I understand this generates revenue for staff which allows them to continue the great work they all do, it does not mean that I have to be excited about the new site. My solution; go back to the old site and I will have my army of trained monkeys clicking refresh on the site 24/7 to up the page views! Win-win situation.

+2 HS
Bamabucknut's picture

So far...I prefer the old site.

This is my favorite Buckeye site.......but.

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Shit, I just went to the new Premium Club Lounge and found all the beers on tap have been switched out with Natural Light.

+2 HS