College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

5 teams whose chances for a national championship in the next 5 years are more inevitable than TTUN.

0 HS
Gobucks2204's picture
December 18, 2015 at 9:30pm
31 Comments

After the Wolverines added Kareem Walker and moved to second in the recruiting rankings yesterday, Dan Wolken from USA Today sports made a statement on twitter that few things are more inevitable than TTUN winning a national championship in the next 5 years. Here was his tweet, "Very few things in college football feel as inevitable as Michigan winning a national title in the next five years."(could someone embed this for me?)

Here is a story about his statement and whether it really is "inevitable," that they will win one in the next 5 years. I don't know much about College Spun but I was glad they countered his statement. They listed 5 teams for whom it is more inevitable to win a championship, and I will list those teams in a moment.

Oklahoma, Clemson, Florida State, Alabama, and Ohio State.

Here is their reasoning for why OSU is more likely to win one than TTUN.

"The biggest reason why I’m unsure about Michigan’s “inevitable” chances of winning a national title is that there’s a team in its own division whose chances feel more “inevitable.” Everything Michigan’s been doing well under Harbaugh has just been done better at Ohio State with Urban Meyer.  You think Michigan’s been recruiting well? Ohio State’s been recruiting better. The Buckeyes have the No. 1 class in the country right now for 2016 and the No. 1 class in the country so far in 2017"

http://collegespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state/5-teams-whose-national-title-c...

I'm not a conspiracy theorist about an inherent bias against OSU, but it got me thinking at least a bit. When Urban was hired some media said this would be our year and stuff like that. We had a special about Zeke on ESPN, commercials with Urban Meyer and other pro OSU stuff. TTUN hasn't been relevant since maybe mid way through the Clinton Administration. My question is do the national media generally want TTUN to win more than us, and if so why? Do they view TTUN as elite, and us as some "cow town." Why are they more hyperbolic about news in favor of TTUN? 

OSU has a chance to have back to back number one recruiting classes in the next two years and there is barely a peep from the media. TTUN has a good recruiting week and all of a sudden it's inevitable that they will win a championship. Am I just sensitive to this or does the media hype up TTUN more than they do us? Is it because it creates a good story that the rivalry is back? Is it just the new car smell is still in effect with Harbaugh and TTUN? Appreciate any of your guys thoughts on this subject.

Finally, who are the 5 teams that you think are more likely to win a championship in the next 5 years than TTUN? Or do you think they will win one?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments