Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Ohio NFL Teams NOT Selecting Buckeyes Trend: A Theory

+7 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
April 29, 2017 at 6:51pm
64 Comments

I've long wondered why The Bengals and the Browns seemed so averse to drafting Buckeyes. It just seems like it would make so much sense for them to do so from a PR point of view. And as has been pointed out by many writers here and elsewhere - it's a definite trend. 

I understand they need to draft the best players available for their teams at the time. But when it comes to having the chance to draft a Carlos Hyde or a Malik Hooker and they go with a questionable player instead, it seems foolish. Yet both teams do it. 

My theory is that they're jealous of Ohio State's football influence in the state. They're so inept as teams now that people refer to Ohio State as "Ohio's NFL team."  

So, they may begrudgingly draft Buckeyes when they have to, but they avoid them if they can - like they want to prove they "don't need Ohio State."

Whereas, the Steelers have grown their fanbase in Ohio over the years because they seem to place a priority on drafting Buckeyes. 

I think it's simple, petty jealousy. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 64 Comments