Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

An Open Letter to My Favorite Professional Football Team

+9 HS
Hovenaut's picture
March 10, 2017 at 7:55am
81 Comments

Hi Dan, Bruce, and team admin.

I hope you're well on this fine March Friday morning, and are thoroughly engaged in team off-season activities ahead of next month's draft. From the looks/sounds of things, you all sure are.

Me? Oh, I could be better. Not completely down, as I have a pretty good college football team I follow (God - continued thanks). But darn it, I'm just not seeing what in the hell you guys are doing over in Ashburn, VA, lately.

Let me see if I have the last few days straight:

1. Part ways with GM, effective immediately, only 18 months into a four year contract. No official reason, although rumors speculate over a drinking problem that persisted and worsened over time. I guess that's bad, and I'm not going to bash the individual here - sounds like an ongoing problem and he should seek help if indeed this is the case. Also hearing there may have been an ego clash between the individual and the team president over personnel matters, and that this also persisted and worsened over time. Hindsight 20/20 and all, but maybe revisit some decisions made said 18 months ago for future reference? Just throwing that out there.

2. Franchise quarterback! You have one, you don't have one (you don't want to pay him). Tag him twice, forgo a long term deal, and still pay out your ass. Slow play the hell of things, and frustrate the guy enough to where he's requested (demanded, in some circles) a trade from the owner guy himself. You won't consider a trade at this time, citing fair market value, and you won't deal with the west coast team that really wants him because you have beef with said team (their new head coach, your former offensive coordinator)? So you're stuck with a guy who's tired of the slow play bullshit, has proven himself to be the best possible option (and has earned the spot, in my humble humble...), and barring some wizardry on your part before the draft (excuse me, chuckling) you'll have a quarterback who'll play disgruntled this season. Have fun in that locker room.

3. Speaking of locker room, you re-sign the head coach to two year extension earlier this week. Very good, but why now? Was it a lame pr move in order to help gain traction with the aforementioned QB contract turmoil? The first head coach in the illustrious 17 years of current ownership to ever be extended. Stability...ain't it fun?

4. Free agent moves over the past 48ish hours - you deal three quality (two WR, one DL) players - and I get it, they all couldn't stay from a financial perspective - but what have you received in return? A couple journeymen (no disrespect, but so far) defensive linemen, and the resigning of a veteran TE (I do think he can still contribute). I get it, there is an entire team to attend to...but the quarterback situation, man.

5. This weekend marks the five year anniversary of the blockbuster trade with the Rams. Remember that? Some good times, some rough ones, on the field. Off the field? Well, I don't have enough in me to relive the details.

Thirty-eight years. That's how long I've been a fan. I was spoiled early on - three championships in nine years. You helped through when my college team didn't do so hot. Things change, and the college team has been more than enough to hold my attention, but I've stuck by your side...through all the coach, free agent, public relations crap...I've stayed a fan. I have enough in my life to keep my sporting interests going - baseball on the move, a hockey team that may finally make some noise this spring, and a college football off-season that hardly disappoints.

I won't quit...I'm not a fair weather fan. Whether or not you're fair to me, and fans like me?

I'll leave that to you to answer. Talk later, I have my college football team fansite to enjoy. And change your clocks this weekend - don't miss a deadline.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments