Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Should Browns consider Hooker at No.1?

+2 HS
PoopOnMichigan13's picture
February 26, 2017 at 3:45pm
89 Comments

Im not a Browns fan, but I will root for the success of any pro sports team in Ohio. I have to say Im intrigued by this draft for a number of reasons, and especially because the Browns could make a bug splash. They have 5 picks in the top 65 and with a good draft may finally be able to turn this team into something good.(Knock on wood)

On to the topic of this thread. Should the Browns consider Malik Hooker with the No.1 pick?

Most people assume the pick will be Myles Garrett from A&M or Jonathan Allen from Bama. However, I think the Browns need to seriously consider drafting Malik Hooker at No.1.

There is a chance that Hooker will still be available when the Browns pick at No.12, however, I dont see him falling outside of the top 10 or even possibly the top 5. Look, you may think Im only saying this because of my OSU bias, but I assure you this is not the case(Believe it or not lol). When it comes to NFL projections I am brutally honest for OSU players.

The last time I saw a safety as good as Hooker play in college he went by the name of Eric Berry(Id take him No.1 easy), and we all know how good he has become. Honestly, I really do like the comparison to Ed Reed for Hooker, and you cant tell me Ed Reed wouldnt be picked No.1 if a team knew how good he'd be. If Hooker is like Ed Reed, and I think he is/can be, then he is worth the No.1 pick. 

I do want to add, I personally think Lattimore was actually the best player for OSU last year, so you could argue that with my logic he should be the pick at No.1. However, this is the deepest class of CB's Ive ever seen in a draft, and many "experts" agree. So, I think the Browns can find a starting caliber CB anywhere from the 1st-4th round(yes, I think this CB class is THAT deep). Also, I think great safetys are harder to come by and Hooker is a once every 10 years kinda guy. To add to this, if the Browns do want to go CB in the first they could get Lattimore, Tabor, or another top corner with the No.12 pick. Thus, I think a safety at No.1, specifically Hooker, actually makes sense.

Some may think No.1 is a reach for Hooker, but Ive seen him going as high as No.2 on some mocks and most "experts" have him in their top 5 prospects. I think you could trade down from No.1 and still get him, but you risk someone else drafting him.

Call me crazy, but if Im the Browns Im drafting Hooker No.1. Then with No.12 Im looking defense again. I think Zach Cunningham LB Vandy, Sidney Jones CB Wash., Lattimore, Tabor CB Fla., Rueban Foster LB Bama, Derek Barnett DE Tenn., and a handful of others would be a good pick here.

I think the Browns need to stop worrying about QB, if Watson or Kizer falls in their lap in the 2nd, sure, snatch em up. But, I think they should build the rest of the team first(specifically defense) and find a QB when the opportunity presents itself. Getting someone like Hooker, and one of the other guys I mentioned at No.12 would be a good start to building an elite defense and setting this team in the right direction. Also, I like what I saw from Kessler and I think he can be more than serviceable until they find a franchise guy.

Adding Hooker would be huge for the Browns defense because he is a game changer. Dude is a pick six machine and an overall ballhawk. Having him on defense can cover up some of the Browns offensive issues until they are able to address them later.

What do you guys think? Should the Browns consider Hooker at No.1? Is Garrett too good to pass up? Do you agree with my philosophy of building a great defense then worrying about QB? Let me know what you guys think.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 89 Comments