Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

World Champion Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Options

+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture
February 3, 2017 at 11:12pm
35 Comments

The King ain't happy. The Cavs can't do much but they have a few options; roster spots, trade exceptions, and trade pieces other than Kevin Love that they can use to upgrade their roster to make a run at the repeat.

I personally think they can do enough to beat Golden State with the limited roster upgrades to be had. For starters, getting Kyle Korver was massive. Huge. He's a quality starter in the NBA and the kind of veteran that makes a title team. Wish the trade had happened last year instead of in the middle of this season, but we won a title switching coaches so he can gel.

A few parameters I am following for this:

1. The Cavs aren't trading LBJ, Kyrie, Love, or Tristan Thompson. All other players are on the table. Korver cannnot be traded.

2. The Cavs will not trade for Demarcus Cousins, Carmelo Anthony, or a "superstar" level player.

Free Agent Signing

The Cavs worked out some veterans yesterday, Kirk Hinrich, Mario Chalmers, Lance Stephenson, and Jordan Farmar. There has been smoke around Hinrich and Farmar, a link to Chalmers, but nothing about Stephenson. If healthy, Stephenson is young (26), athletic, long, and a pesky defender. Sounds like a body to guard Durant, no? Stephenson is a no brainer if you ask me. He immediately adds depth and athleticism to our roster. He has faced some injuries and health make be an on going concern. To depend on him for minutes in the rotation is risky with JR out.

My pick: Sign Lance Stephenson

Trade Exception and Trade Deadline Acquisition

These go hand in hand. The Cavs hold a $9.6m trade exception from Anderson Varejao that basically allows them to take back an additional $9.6m in salary than they give away. That's huge in obtaining an overpaid but useful veteran from a team falling out of playoff contention looking to shave salary. Iman Shumpert is the primary trade piece in my opinion. Really, the only trade piece sans Kevin Love, who is off limits for me.

Here are a few options and rumors:

• PJ Tucker, SF Phoenix Suns
    • Pros: Plays defensive, $5.3m contract could be had for trade exception
    • Cons: Bad offensively this year, plays same position as LBJ
  • Kyle O'Quinn, C New York Knicks
    • Pros: Rim protector, young, cheap contract, provide depth on front court
    • Cons: NY may be reluctant to part with him but could create their own trade exception for the future if they are in blow it up mode and give Porzingis more minutes
  • Deron Williams, PG Dallas Mavericks
    • Pros: Biggest name, still talented offensively, can run 2nd unit and create own shots
    • Cons: Aging, might not be willing to accept reduced role, $9m contract for luxury tax
  • Ricky Rubio, PG Minnesota Wolves
    • Pros: True back up PG, would bring a Delly energy and excitement, maybe the most talented on the list
    • Cons: $13.4m contract!

That list doesn't set the world on fire but the Cavs aren't going to find a 4th superstar, nor can they make it work financially.

Here are my preferred roster upgardes:

1. Sign Stephenson. Trade for Kyle O'Quinn. I know that this doesn't address  the PG position but it provides depth behind LBJ (help reduce those minutes heading to the playoffs), gives us a legitimate second rim protector and front court depth, and also doesn't cost us Shumpert as NY would hopefully pawn O'Quinn to create their own trade exception.

2. Sign Stephenson. Trade for D. Williams. Same logic applies above but we go PG instead of front court depth. I still think we need a second rim protector but if Dallas is willing, Williams is the most talented player reasonably available. Adding Stephenson and Williams would be the most athleticism we could add.

3. I said no Melo, but as I write this I realize the Cavs can probably demand O'Quinn from the Knicks if we take Melo. Can't use the trade exception with other players so it would have to be two separate trades. Trade exception for O'Quinn. Love for Melo.

Fire up the NBA trade machine for yourself, throw out some options if you want.

I just talked myself into Carmelo for Love, with O'Quinn on the side, and then signing Farmar to a contract.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments