Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Annie Apple in the Wall Street Journal

+6 HS
SilverState's picture
January 5, 2017 at 9:16pm
56 Comments

Nice WSJ piece with her signature "professional athlete's Mom" perspective and wisdom:

While she likes seeing her son play football—“I get a lot of joy watching him do what he loves”—she’s dubious about the importance society places on strangers who play games. “Role models should start closer to you,” Apple said. “To people whose lives you have a front row seat: the parent, the teacher, the family doctor. I never raised my kids to look at athletes as role models, because you don’t know them.”

That's some parenting - spreading her message, too:

Meanwhile, Apple has become an advocate for sports parents, launching an organization called Raising a Pro designed to give support and advice to mothers and fathers of athletes. Recently, she did an ESPN sit-down with NFL parents including Dawn Elliott, the mother of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott—and Apple’s friend since Ezekiel and Eli became Buckeye teammates at Ohio State.

And Eli's take on his Mom's tweeting:

Did she ever write or Tweet anything that made him think, ‘Arrrrrgh! Mom!’

“Basically every one of her Tweets,” Eli Apple said, laughing. “I know how she is and her personality. I’m fine with it.”

Good read in its entirety - that recruiting class had some special parents.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 56 Comments