Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Comparing players from different eras

+3 HS
SFlaBuckeye13's picture
December 28, 2016 at 2:24pm
45 Comments

Today my dad said to me that he isn't amazed by the amount of triple doubles that Russell Westbrook has because he wouldn't be able to do that in the '80s due to the style of play. My dad isn't the type to say everything was better back then but that's when he grew up and began following sports. Basketball was his favorite sport during that time and now it's probably 4th so he doesn't watch as much now as he did then. I don't think it would be fair for me to compare Westbrook or any athlete to someone who I never saw play. Archie, Zeke and Eddie are the 3 best running backs in Buckeye history but I've only seen 1 of them play. I'd put Archie #1 due to the 2 Heismans but I'd have Zeke #2 over Eddie because I saw him play. I love the history of sports and comparing players, especially baseball, but I think it's hard to compare players and teams that you never saw. I also believe that people will have a strong bias to the era when they started to love a sport compared to previous and future generations.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 45 Comments