Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Cleveland Indians Possible MVP Selection

+3 HS
DonJuan's picture
October 18, 2016 at 12:07pm
17 Comments

The Cleveland Indians are undefeated in the post season and are one win away from clinching a World Series birth, despite having basically a 3 man starting rotation. There is not one person on the team that is carrying them and it seems like every night has someone new stepping up and making a big play. This brings up an interesting discussion on who would be named the MVP at this point? Possible selections could be:

1.  Corey Kluber - He is the anchor of this team and he is the only starting pitcher that I would feel completely confident with on the mound. He has pitched 13 innings in 2 games which has given Andrew Miller much needed rest. He has given up more hits than usual but has not given up a run yet along with 13 strikeouts.

2.  Andrew Miller - He is the biggest weapon that this team has and if you take MVP literally, he is hands down the most valuable player on the team. He basically makes it a 7 inning game and gives you the flexibility to be able to pitch multiple innings as a reliever or come in as a closer in the 9th. He has been virtually unhittable in the post season with 9 innings pitched, 4 hits, and 20 strikeouts.

3.  Francisco Lindor - He is one of the most enjoyable players I've ever watched and he has the potential to be an all time great. He is by far the best defensive player the Indians have and he has made several huge stops in big moments. Combine his defensive skills with his steady offensive performances and it would be hard to find someone who is contributing more than Lindor. He is batting .304 with 2 HR and tied for team high 4 RBI's. His hits have all seemed to come in big moments that have swung the momentum back in the Indians favor.

4.  Lonnie Chisenhall / Coco Crisp - I know these are both huge stretches, but both players have made several big plays that could have resulted in losses without them. Chisenhall's 3 run homerun rocked David Price early in game 2 and gave Kluber some room to breathe. He also leads the team in batting average at .350 and has 4 RBI's. Coco Crisp doesn't have many stats that would prove he has been valuable but if you watch the game you can see all that he does for this team. He had a big time home run in game 4 right after Boston cut the lead to 1 and it ended up being the winning run. Crisp also has made great plays in the outfield including what was basically a game winning half diving catch last night that looked like it was about to tie the game.

At this point, I think Lindor would get it, but it wouldn't be an easy decision. Who do you think it should be?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments