Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Joe Buck reveals hair replacement surgury caused voice issues in 2011

+3 HS
Buckeyes01752's picture
October 6, 2016 at 10:01am
32 Comments

Interesting story from SI, with Joe Buck, on how hair replacement surgery messed up his voice and not a virus as he claimed back in 2011.

An excerpt:

“Broadcasting is a brutal, often unfair business, where looks are valued more than skill,” writes Buck. “I was worried that if I lost my hair, I would lose my job. “O.K., that’s bulls----. It was vanity. Pure vanity. I just told myself I was doing it for TV.”
A few weeks before the start of the 2011 baseball season, Buck underwent his eighth hair replacement procedure. But something went wrong during the six-hour-plus procedure. When he woke up from the anesthetic, Buck could not speak. He believes his vocal chord was paralyzed because of a cuff the surgery center used to protect him during the procedure. A doctor not part of the operation theorized to Buck that the cuff probably got jostled during the procedure and sat on the nerve responsible for firing his left vocal chord. Buck was also going through personal stress at the time, as his marriage to his high school sweetheart was ending. That stress, Buck theorizes, could have made him more susceptible to nerve damage.

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/10/06/joe-buck-fox-book-hair-plugs-sur...

I don't watch many sporting events on Fox but I was aware his voice sounded odd a few years ago when I'd stumble upon a game he was broadcasting. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments