Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Atlanta Braves say goodbye to Turner Field.

+6 HS
BuckeyeAirGuard78's picture
October 4, 2016 at 9:35am
31 Comments

On Sunday, the Braves played their final home game at Turner Field which has been their home since 1997 according to this article.

Freddie Freeman had this to say after the game:

"Being the last game ever at Turner Field, it's kind of an emotional thing," Freeman said. "I've spent seven seasons here, my big league debut and everything. I'm always going to remember this place. It has a lot of special moments and memories for me. I'm just happy we won the last game."

20 years doesn't seem long to play in one stadium, but is a reason given by the team.

In 2013, the Braves announced they were leaving Turner Field for a new stadium to be built in Cobb County, northwest of the city. At the time, Club President John Schuerholz said that Turner Field needed "hundreds of millions of dollars of upgrades. Unfortunately, that massive investment would not do anything to improve access or the fan experience."

Also, as a Braves fan in Ohio, one of the coolest things about this last game for me was the team bringing back some of the greats from the 90's.

In the pregame ceremony, the Braves introduced the All Turner Field Team, with the likes of Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones entering from center field to huge ovations. Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux, all in the National Baseball Hall of Fame, threw out ceremonial first pitches. Another hall-of-famer, Bobby Cox, represented the All Turner Field Team as manager.

Here is a pic of the three old guys pitching at Turner Field one last time. Possibly one of the best rotations ever. But that's just my opinion. How about yours?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments