Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

USMNT vs. Guatemala: Give Your Starting XI

+2 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture
March 29, 2016 at 10:53am
14 Comments

Tonight is one of the more important USMNT World Cup qualifiers in some time.  I saw a graphic from ESPN showing the statistical probability of the US's chances of moving on to the final round of CONCACAF qualifying (the "Hex") based on tonight's result, and anything other than a win does not look pretty.  With a win, the US's chances are 92%.  With a draw, chances are slightly better than 50/50.  With a loss, they have just a 10% chance and would need help from others to get results that are unexpected.

So with that said, I thought the 11W soccer enthusiasts could have some fun giving advice to Jurgen Klinsmann.  With the roster available to JK, who would you give the nod to in the starting XI?  What formation do you run?  Do you take a chance and let Pulisic have a run at the start of the game?

Here's what I would do: I'd go with a 4-2-3-1, with the outside mids pushed higher up the pitch.

GK: Guzan
Def: Yedlin, Cameron, Gonzalez, Castillo
Mid: Bradley, Nagbe (holding mids), Pulisic, Dempsey, Bedoya
Fwd: Wood

I think this gives some fresh blood who will have some real hunger out there.  You allow Bradley to be a box-to-box holding mid, and let Nagbe be the playmaker under Dempsey, who'd basically be a withdrawn forward.  I'm not happy about including Castillo, but I don't know who else you put at left back.  Orozco?

Either way, this team needs to attack attack attack!  Do not let Guatemala get comfortable.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments