Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Thoughts on the MLB second half and trading deadline.

0 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
July 17, 2015 at 2:59pm
105 Comments

With the All-Star game behind us, and the second half of the season underway, I was reading two articles today that had me wondering what others think.  The first was the updated odds to win the World Series.  The Kansas City Royals open the second half as favorites at 4-1 odds, overtaking the Cardinals who were the favorite and now sit at 9-2 odds.* 

When I look at the standings, I am curious to see quite a few things:

• Will the dumpster fire in Detriot turn into a fire sale, or will the Tigers turn it around?
  • Will Minnesota continue playing over their heads, or are they this good?
  • Will the royals run of clutch hitting and stellar defense lead them to the division crown?
  • What becomes of the Yankees, Baltimore, and the whatever-the-hell-their-name-is-Angels - teams that could miss the playoffs or make the World Series?
  • Is this the year Matt Williams takes the Nationals to the place they've seemed destined to go, the World Series?  Or, do they fall short again?
  • Are the Phillies going to break an records they'd rather forget?
  • Will San Diego turn it around and challenge for the NL West or become sellers at the deadline?

Also, speaking of the trade deadline, there are questions abounding there.

• What will the Indians and Reds do? Is Cleveland buying? Is Cincinnati selling?  And, if so, who?
  • Who finishes the season in right field for the Royals? Is their post-season rotation even on their roster at this time?
  • Where does Cole Hamels land?  Who takes on that contract?
  • And, exactly what time does the auction start on South Beach, Jeffrey Loria?

Here's how I see the season playing out:
AL East Winner:  New York 
AL Central Winner:  Kansas City
AL West Winner:  The whatever-the-hell-their-name-is-Angels
Wild Card:  Houston and Minnesota

NL East Winner:  Washington
NL Central Winner: St. Louis
NL West Winner: Los Angeles
Wild Card: Pittsburgh and Chicago
(So, basically status quo in the AL and NL)

I'd like to hear your thought.  What do you guys see coming at the deadline, and who wins the division?

* Odds provided by the MGM Grand

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 105 Comments