Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Cavs Salary Cap Question

0 HS
osu07asu10's picture
June 24, 2015 at 1:49pm
75 Comments

Yeah, the last thing we need, another Cavs salary cap thread. A lot has been made about Cleveland's cap space, or rather lack thereof, and I have as well as a few other of the commentariat have tried to explain the nuances of the NBA salary cap and CBA.

In short, right now the Cavs can't sign & trade anyone, anyone they trade for comes with a huge tax penalty (300% of incoming contract), and the only money they have to sign a FA is a TPE of $3.5m or the veterans minimum.

I bring this up because what is actually killing the Cavs is their "cap hold" not actually the players that are currently under contract for 2015-16. Our current cap hold for 2015-16 is approximately $91m and the reason we can't operate more freely is because we are over the salary cap (tax line, and cap apron).

The bottom line is, it is unlikely LBJ signs a long-term contract before a new CBA but he is committed to Cleveland. Would it makes sense for the Cavs to renounce their rights to LBJ (and potentially Love) that would get the cavs theoretically under the salary cap? Once the players sign a new contract with the Cavs, we would have their Bird rights again and could exceed the salary cap in future years to give them larger long-term deals.

LeBron would HAVE to take a somewhat of a 1 year pay cut (so would Love) but after pondering it for quite a long time, this is the only feasible way that the Cavs can gain immediate roster flexibility to retool the roster. They pay cut would be down somewhere in the $15m range. 

Let me say, I don't think large scale changes are needed. If they can add Tyus Jones and maybe another bench/depth player via Haywood I think the Cavs will be very tough to beat. They were 2 games away from a championship without #2 and #3. Plus you add back in AV, and expect the players who gained experience in the playoffs (TT, Smith, Shump, Moz) to continue to play at the level or progress even more.

Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 75 Comments