Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

The NHL All-Star Weekend

0 HS
MordenoftheSith's picture
January 22, 2015 at 11:09am
22 Comments

I am so glad the All-Star game is in Columbus this weekend, even though it's too pricey for me to attend. 

I was reading the transcript of Dispatch's weekly chat with Porty yesterday, and for those unfamiliar, Portzline is a Jackets beat writer for the Dispatch and contributes to the Bluejacketsxtra.com site with his Puck Rakers blog and a weekly chat with readers.  This week he mentioned that OSU intentionally scheduled their Championship celebration this weekend despite requests from both the NHL and the CBJ to hold it last weekend or next weekend, just not THIS weekend.

While I'm extremely happy that OSU won the inaugural CFP Championship, I'm a bit miffed that they would deliberately attempt to take away from the NHL All-Star festivities this weekend by holding their Championship celebration now, instead of last weekend.  This is a HUGE deal for the city!

Everybody knew what was happening in Columbus this weekend since it was announced almost a year ago.  Not only are the Jackets playing it cool, while the NHL has not been happy with the development, it gives the impression that OSU is upset that there is "another" big-time sports team in the city. 

Not only have they pulled this crap, they also refuse to negotiate with the Jackets to allow the use of the 'Shoe for a bid at The Winter Classic, which would be another HUGE get for the city.

I would THINK that OSU would want to work with the Jackets to make this city shine even more than it does now.  An outdoor OSU/UM hockey game a day before the Jackets, in the 'Shoe isn't up for negotiation?  Bringing in the OSU team to NWA to play isn't something to think about?

To me, it seems like a childish move, and further implants in my mind that the OSU brass are nothing more than spoiled children who feel embracing and sharing are beneath them, especially if it wasn't their idea to begin with.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments