Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Ray Rice (my take)

0 HS
BlockO's picture
September 10, 2014 at 6:53pm
17 Comments

Honestly, I've tried to remain silent on the Ray Rice situation because I wanted to find out how people would react to violence against women. One thing I found out is that many individuals -males in particular, began to make excuse as to how Ray Rice's spouse contributed to the abuse waged against her by her husband. Another thing I found, is that I too began to bring up a lame argument that "men endure physical violence by women as well". (Duh) While that is true, it undermines the case that is right in front of us. It also mirrors the arguments that some whites make when the issue of racial injustice comes up (ie whites suffer mistreatment by blacks too). While both statements are not necessarily wrong they do a disservice to issues of injustice. The reason why racial injustice towards blacks and violence against women are talked about as much as they are, is because these issues are an epidemic that begs for healing. I have come to the conclusion that it is hard for those who hold power and privilege to see the part they play in the oppression of others. As a male, I must address that privilege -not ignore or make light of it. Ray Rice's wife did not deserve that brutal beating, neither does any woman deserve to be attacked by a male. I was sickened as the self - proclaimed "people's scholar", Dr. Boyce Watkins, argued that women are to be praised and commended for enduring physical violence for the sake of keeping "marriages and family" together. No woman should have to endure a relationship in which she is physically, verbally, or emotionally abused. Violence against women is wrong and men must learn that this behavior is unacceptable! I write this piece as a way to help recover the sight of those who have been blinded by privilege and power. I just hope we do better as a human race in addressing the evil atrocities we face on a daily basis.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments