Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Michael Sam doesnt make Rams 53 man roster

Groveport Heisman's picture
August 30, 2014 at 5:33pm
40 Comments

Any thoughts? Anyone think the huge media distraction he brings factored in too his playing career? Was Tony Dungy right? What say you?

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I say, let's not open this can of worms

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+7 HS

Wow, so you DV me like some type of little weiny? Cool dude I'll keep an eye out for you and your gun show...

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-10 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture
My finger slipped, didn't mean to do it 12 times

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+6 HS

Hah

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-10 HS
Rob Reese's picture

looked like a complete out of shape douche bag with no cut at all but trying to flex?

Be angry.  Rage all you want.   But leave personal attacks at the door.  That's one of things that separate this site from all the others.

+2 HS

It is very relevant and I think worth discussing among adults.

-9 HS
Il_Padrino's picture

Neither did a lot of other players = let it go.

Living the life!  Go Buckeyes!

+5 HS

Yes you are correct...But I do not see any of the other guys making breaking news along the bottom to tell us they were cut. This is a big deal and pretty much unavoidable.

-9 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Or you can decide for yourself whether or not it is a big deal. If I let ESPN decide what was important, I'd start asking Urban why he allowed Aaron Hernandez to become a murderer.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Wait, this (Michael Sam being cut) isn't Urban's fault too?

CincyOSU's picture

Isn't this same topic what got you banned before?

+2 HS
740Buckeye740's picture

I think he's a subpar player who isn't worth the distraction.

Give it a week, people will forget about him like that one QB that used to play at Florida...whats his name again?

+4 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

Chris Leak

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+3 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

Danny Wuerffel

+1 HS
THE's picture

Jesse Palmer?  

Steve Spurrier?

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

Kerwin Bell.....Rex Grossman....

+1 HS
740Buckeye740's picture

DON'T YOU TALK ABOUT SEXY REXY LIKE THAT.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

He is now the first openly gay player to get cut from an nfl roster. 

+8 HS

SEC defensive player of the year cant make an NFL roster. Hell yeahhhhhhhh

-2 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

can't wait for the report from ESPN on how his shower habits affected his chances

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+3 HS

Wow Jason P take a look at this thread I have not said anything even close to violating the comment policy.Maybe we can do a roll call for the "trolls"

-10 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Really?

Call me crazy but calling another poster "an out of shape douche bag" might be why people are reigning DVs your way. 

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

if he wasn't good enough, he wasn't good enough. Lets stop talking about his sexual preference, its not a big deal and who the hell cares. 

+2 HS
blu.fan's picture

Look forward to the day when this isn't newsworthy. I suppose, with all the publicity he got, as the first openly gay player to be drafted, it makes sense that Sam get publicity as the first openly gay player to be cut. He should be judged not by his personal preferences, but by his abilities to make tackles on the field. In fact, his personal preferences should be completely irrelevant to whether or not he makes an NFL squad.

+2 HS
DEF D's picture
+3 HS
sb97's picture

I guess I don't get why you think this is such a big deal?  A 7th round draft pick got cut in the last round of cuts. This is hardly newsworthy or much of an interesting topic for discussion.

+5 HS
sb97's picture

In all honesty, I am more interested in guys like Pryor and Simon getting cut.

+4 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Would love to see each get a shot in Cincy or Cleveland.

cajunbuckeye's picture

I was really hoping Simon could hang on.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I didn't think he was that much of a distraction really, even Jeff Fisher said they only had at most one extra camera around sometimes. I just can't believe that this is getting so much more run than Champ Bailey getting cut. A former all-pro and multi time all-star gets cut, and all anyone wants to talk about is a 7th round draft pick that didn't make the team. 

+3 HS
THE's picture

Cut!?

Cut. It. Out. 

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

The only real question here is what do all those people do with their Michael Sam jerseys that they bought for a guy who didn't make the team.

+1 HS
wojodta's picture

So they actually make jerseys for guys that aren't officially on teams? Maybe they can just write in Bradford beside the name on the back.

PittBuckeye's picture

Yes sir, Johnny Manziel was the only jersey that sold more than his since the draft.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The NFL brings a lot of media attention.  There are always circuses going on around the NFL.  If it isn't Michael Sam or Tim Tebow, it's Johnny Manziel.  And eventually they'll find someone else. 

I say that he simply was not good enough to make the roster.  End of story.  He was a 7th round pick, let's not forget that.  He had ample opportunity to prove how good he was.  Obviously, the team felt that he wasn't one of the best 53 players on the team.  Too bad, so sad.  I don't really care about his lifestyle off the field. 

Class of 2010.

Tater_Schroeder's picture

Yawn. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

Friends, the first person to do anything is going to get attention.  After that, Sam and the issue of homosexuality in sports will get less and less attention.

The only reason we heard about Jason Collins or Michael Sam coming out is because of the residual negativity that the extreme minority feels with respect to the issue. 

As I pointed out before, Jackie Robinson playing in MLB was a big deal.  It's not at all a big deal today when an African-American player makes his debut in the majors.

The furor will die down, so if you're inordinately fired up about this issue (not saying anyone in this thread is), just relax: it will be a non-issue very soon.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+2 HS
brunstar's picture

A 7th round draft pick didn't make an NFL roster.  Quick, alert the press!

No one cares............

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

Would absolutely love to see him accept WWE's offer to appear on Monday Night Raw. That would be must see television. 

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS