Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Seemingly Good News for Jackets Fans (no, RyJo has not signed)

MordenoftheSith's picture
August 26, 2014 at 10:45pm
23 Comments

So this article came across my FB and I find it both exciting and enlightening.  It appears an NHL team to Las Vegas is happening.  Couple that with Seattle getting a team (c'mon, like THAT won't actually happen), the Jackets will remain in the East!

http://www.thescore.com/news/563625

Hopefully one of those cities can experience this...

CBJ Baby!

Just not at our expense!

HattanBuck85's picture

Quebec deserves a team before Las Vegas. 

Edit: but I ain't complaining...

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS

Sorry dude, I disagree, Quebec had a team.  They just don't have an arena big enough (mind you Winnepeg BARELY has an arena big enough) and there doesn't seem to be a plan to build one.

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Solution: Move the Panthers to Quebec City, then put teams in Vegas and Seattle to balance the conferences at 16 teams each.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Joebobb's picture

now lets get Cincinnati a team and all will be well with the world

KBonay's picture
+1 HS
Sin City Buckeye's picture

I still have a puck from when they played the Russians. LOL

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

I still have a Stingers puck....but not from that game!

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I would instantly hate that team with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

The Blue Jackets have the damn state flag in their logo. It's a team for the state of Ohio. And they're awesome.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Seattle Linga's picture

Chris Hanson (probably the next Sonic's owner) is doing everything he can to bring a new NHL franchise to Seattle at the same time. I would love an NHL team here for so many different reasons.

+1 HS

I really hope you get one.  It's not like Seattle didn't support the Sonics, greed got in the way.  I think Seattle is an EXCELLENT market for hockey.

What would you want the nickname to be?

Seattle _____

Las Vegas _____

I'd say:

Seattle Storm & Las Vegas Gamblers (really, there is nothing else I could think of...)

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I may be gravely mistaken here, but I think that the "Storm" is taken by Seattle's WNBA team?

Seattle would be a great fit for an NHL team, though. They already have a junior team in the CHL called the Thunderbirds. But the best name for a CHL team is either the Calgary Hitmen, the Medicine Hat Tigers or the Halifax Mooseheads.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Seattle has the Thunderbirds and the games are a lot of fun, but it's minor league. They play in a small arena and it suits them much better then Key Arena where they used to play years ago.  

Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard through the grapevine that LV may never get a professional top of the line sports franchise because of the gambling aspect. Not saying I agree - but it's just what I heard.  

TheBadOwl's picture

The CHL isn't necessarily a "minors" system (AHL is), its' more like watching a college team if they only focused on hockey. But yeah. Juniors get super competitive though, and there are a lot of kids there who will be future NHL stars. I feel like most of the entertainment value would be for people who are basically hockey scouts.

I've heard similar things about Vegas, but it's mostly in the context of "Yeah the NFL would expand to Vegas if it wasn't for the gambling" or something along those lines. Who knows? Not really sure it's a great NHL market. I could see it as a great NBA city, though.

TheBadOwl's picture

This is potentially fantastic news for the Jackets, considering how insanely stacked the Western Conference is this year. The Central division is particularly filthy.

Crumb's picture

That gif makes me sad cause R.J. Umberger is no longer a Jacket, I think he made a crazy defensive play on that puck before Foligno scored the goal.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

He will bring new life to the Flyers - special player with a great skill set

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

That was some incredible hustle by Umberger on that play, but I think Hartnell is going to be an incredible pickup for us. With Horton hopefully finally getting healthy and continued growth from RyJo, Boone and Murray, this team has the potential to be scary. And that's without even mentioning that Wennberg looks like he could be a top-6 forward on an NHL roster right now.

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

I totally agree BadOwl, I'm just old fashioned and like guys who are kind of hometown boys and have been with mainly one team their whole career. I miss the days (in all pro sports) when a guy would stick with one team his whole career like Steve Y for the old Red Wings. Hartnell will be good here and RJ good there though and it's just the way the puck bounces.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

He's from Pittsburgh, but went to OSU; spent the first 4 yrs of his career in Philly, then was traded here.  Now he's back in Philly.  To me, the only home-grown aspect is he went to OSU.  Good luck to him in Philly, but I think we got the better end of the deal.

I agree BO, the youngsters are pretty damn exciting to watch already, and they're only going to get better.

Joebobb's picture

I have to admit I am not a Blue Jacket fan, and do not cheer for them. I have nothing against them but I grew up before there was such a team so I had to adopt the Red Wings and Penguins as my teams due to proximity. When I go to games, I try and catch those teams because that is who I grew up rooting for. The Jackets have done nothing to inspire me so in their 14 year tenure so it is hard to embrace them even though I have always lived in Ohio. I hope that can change someday but right now my allegiance lies with the Penguins and Wings.

TheBadOwl's picture

I wasn't completely sold until last year's playoff series tbh. Now I'm obsessed. NWA is one hell of a place to watch a hockey game, and it's an incredibly exciting young team. And we have a cannon. 

I was born in Cleveland.  That said, the only team from Pittsburgh I followed was the Penguins, and being from Cleveland, I took a lot of shit for it.  Being a Buckeye, in no Universe could I EVER root for a team who's home arena/field is in Michigan.

When I moved to C-bus, there was no way to watch the Pens (other than the ESPN feeds), so I latched onto the Jackets when they came into existence.  I felt it was my civic duty to root for and support the home town team.

apack614's picture

The only thing that makes me as happy as football season is hockey season! Go Jackets!!!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes