Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Krenzel in trouble? or Local parent seeks 15 mins?

RubixTube's picture
August 22, 2014 at 11:37am
63 Comments

When I first heard of this story, I almost fell out of my chair (which is dangerous because i was driving at the time).  None of the behavior described seems like something Krenzel would do (based on my limited knowledge of the guy), but I wouldn't put it past any parent if they felt their child was being endangered (or roughed up at football practice sans helmet). 

Interestingly, Cowboy Craig was left off of The Fan yesterday afternoon (he had been filling in for Common Man all week).

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Link? Looks like there is supposed to be a video or screengrab or something, but it's just blank for me.

EDIT: Adblocked. Here's a link for people who can't watch the video: http://www.myfox28columbus.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/father-...

+1 HS
RubixTube's picture

Thanks for the link fix, Brooklyn

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Your kid got in a fight and Krenzel broke it up.

Stop being a p$&%y, old man.

+9 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I mean you gotta protect children, especially your child. But if its true, I'm not sure how charges get filed, that seems a bit extreme. Reprimand him, but to arrest and charge him, its very Dublin, Ohio of him. 

+3 HS
Barnsey69's picture

If the other kid isn't hurt, then an apology from Krenzel to both parent and child should be enough. And perhaps he no longer coaches in the league, but criminal charges..?

C'mon man!

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

+1 HS
J.Mo's picture

If Krenzel did what he is accused of, I'm under the assumption that this dude's kid went too far and tried to hurt Krenzel's son or was trying to be dirty. I know I would probably lose my mind and not think of consequences it if I ever see someone intentionally try to hurt my boy.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Parents creating a whole new sissyfied Nation. Sometimes what you see happen to your child is different from what actually happened.Its common for parents to overreact in defense of their children but this guy is taking it way to far and I hope he doesn't see a dime from Craig.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+17 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I can't make an informed decision until Mindy Drayer lies draws a diagram for me.

+12 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

1000 upvotes Groveport. So sick of this entitled, it takes a village bs, no dodgeball becauw we can be traumatized, EVERYBODY wins & gets a trophy (and orange slices) to not hurt their self esteem.... Hell - when I got into fights when I was a kid I never told my Dad cause he would kick my ass - he didnt care about the "other side of the story" - he just cared about how I acted & that I was responsible for my behavior - not anyone elses fault but mine.

+11 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Seems like the dad is a bit too dramatic... "I witnessed it right there in front of me and it was violent, it was disturbing, it was sad and I'm appalled by his behavior."

Sounds like he's auditioning to be a news anchor.

My take from this is that the kids got in a scuffle and Krenzel broke them up. No biggie... 

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+3 HS
BuckeyeKing02's picture

As a personal friend of Craig's since our college days, I can personally attest to him being a man of high character and extremely devoted to family.  I am not aware of what took place at the practice in question, but I can assure you, he's a great man.  While any of us are capable of losing our cool at any point in time, it would be surprising if the accuser here is being 100% truthful.  Craig is consistently even tempered and cool under pressure (as plenty of footage from '02 would attest).

+9 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Wait.... So this was in a practice and the dad is upset that a COACH was yelling at his kid for fighting????

Moving on.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

The kid and his father, sound like perfect soccer candidates.

+12 HS
robobuck's picture

Hardy-har-har

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

Earle's picture

The NCAA is considering vacating the 2002 season.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+18 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I don't want to to make it weird, but you know I love you, right?

I immediately regret saying that, as it's now weird - however the sentiment remains.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
Earle's picture
I love you too, man.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

The real problem is this getting headlines. This scars his name, regardless if anything comes of it. Krenzel seems like an old-fashioned dude. This definitely sounds like an overreaction. 

+3 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Krenzel should sue for defamation of character. 

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

toad1204's picture

Cue Mindy Drayer...

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Also take in the fact that when such a even keeled laid back guy like Craig actually raises his voice or does something a tad out of character it is going to get blown up. What Craig  actually did is probably something that most other coaches do multiple times a practice. But because those other coaches act like that normally parents and kids are use to it and its no big deal. This guy is shocked because it was probably embarrassing and out of the norm behavior for Craig. Really think this guy chose the wrong sport for his son,I'm sure the soccer coaches would have been happy to have him.(Shout out to The Rill DIll)

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+6 HS
RubixTube's picture

If your snowflake is "very very terrified" of a situation where his football coach grabs/yells at him, he's definitely in the wrong sport. 

I recall my HS coach picking up a D-lineman by his face-mask to yell at him for touching our starting QB in a 1's vs 1's scrimmage. 

EDIT: Upvotes for Mindy Drayer references!  She's "good friends" with my wife's boss....even more vapid & worthless when she's off camera.

Never before in the history of man have lives less lived been more chronicled. - Dennis Miller

+7 HS
Butch_Driveshaft's picture

Exactly. When I was in HS, another starter on our football team got into a fight with a backup after practice and roughed the kid up pretty well. Our head coach then took care of said starter behind closed doors. I can't imagine what was said and/or done, but I do believe 100000% that if that same sequence of events played out today, the coach would be in jail. What did the starter's parents say or do to the head coach? They thanked him for keeping their son in line. Just a different generation when it comes to raising kids.

I have a very hard time believing a guy like Krenzel did something so heinous to this kid that it would actually warrant legal action. As has been said on this topic, if your kid can't handle getting yelled at by a coach, maybe football isn't the sport for him.

He owes me 260 bucks vacation pay, and he won't fuckin' pay that, so I figured a handful of chips wasn't too much to ask.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

In Pop Warner, my Dad used to slap the hell out of your helmet when you screwed up, using his left hand, so there was an unpleasant tone left in your head from his wedding ring.  My friends still bring it up to this day (this was about 20yrs ago).

+1 HS
ZeroDimension's picture

There are two sides to every story and then there is the truth.  SO Who knows..

I do find it funny, at some of the comments, about the kid needing to be tougher?  Wasn't it Krenzel's kid who had to be protected by his dad?    As a coach you can not rough up another player just because he is your son.  You discipline them.   If the description in the video was true(which I doubt, its only one side, but it is possible).  Krenzel should be suspended from coaching the team and from practices.

We had parents help out at practices, our two best players' dads.  Both played in the NFL and were great guys.  But they got into multiple fist fights over their sons.  One was the star tailback, the other star linebacker.   Both kids embarrassed by their parents.

If Krenzel did pick the kid up by the shoulder pads and hold him in the air in anger... Then why did that kids dad stand there and watch.  Why didn't he run out there(maybe he did).  I know one thing, if that was my grandson, and a  parent/coach felt the need to do more than separate the players and put hands in anger on him, even if it was darrien scott, I would be running out on that field to kick his ass(I may not be able to do it, but I would not be calm about that).

One Shoe

+3 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

what has become of this country? if you don't like physical contact why on earth are you letting your kids play football? this guy reeks of entitlement.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+5 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

......you must have missed, the 'DUBLIN' part.

+5 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

didnt miss it but as a UA grad, didnt want to throw stones

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

I'm not sure I've ever heard so much hyperbole in one news report, and that's saying something.

+1 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

I think the point that everyone is missing is that Craig Krenzel did apologize to the kid and dad. If he is apologizing then he knows he did something wrong. You don't apologize if you didnt do it...JMHO. Probably got caught up in the heat of the moment and lost his cool. Happens all of the time to both parents/coaches at pee-wee games ALL of the time.

AndyVance's picture

I don't necessarily agree with this assessment, and here's why: I was in a restaurant a few weeks ago and had the bad manners to blow my nose at the table. Yes, Emily Post would not approve, but I did. An older gentlemen from across the restaurant - four or five booths away - shouts "Don't do that, it's bad manners."

Now, my gut reaction was to explain to the fellow that my transgression looked much tamer in comparison to yelling one's displeasure from across the room, but instead I opted to apologize to the gentleman for interrupting his breakfast with my sniffle. Was I wrong? Did I do anything horrible? No, but it was easier to diffuse a tense situation by apologizing for my role.

Coach Krenzel probably saw that Helicopter Dad had his shorts in a bunch, and opted to diffuse the situation by offering a token apology for getting in The Little Prince's face. Not an admission of guilt, but rather a polite way of saying, "it's all good, let's just let this go." You let Helicopter Dad save face and lose nothing in the process. Instead, Helicopter Dad runs to the PoPo and calls Mindy Drayer, and here we find ourselves.

+13 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

A very accurate assessment IMO as well.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+2 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

Andy you may be right. I hope you are right. My opinion is only based on the things I've seen at pee-wee football games from both parents and coaches of football players. As the father of three lovely girls who have been cheerleaders I don't have actual experience with these types of events however, I have been witness to some overly sensitive parents/over-hyped coaches/combative relatives/parent living vicariously through their kids/etc and think what I said is entirely possible as well. I sincerely hope it is not any of the above,

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

I read you loud and clear XB - I've seen those kind of parents in action... Hard to know in this case which is which since this reads a lot like a "he said/he said."

I'm Sorry does not equal I'm guilty

+5 HS
RC's picture

You must not be married.  I am and I've apologized for hundreds of things that I didn't do.

+8 HS
SilverState's picture

Mr. Dublin parent guy:

+9 HS
MAVBuck's picture

Obviously I dont know the whole story but if it was my son that was unjustly being thrown around and picked up in the air like that this would merely be the back story. The headline would be POP WARNER DAD IN JAIL AFTER KNOCKING COACH UNCONSCIOUS.

My guess is we're missing a bit of the story.

Poison nuts's picture

If I was to take an educated guess at what actually happened, it would be this: They were playing some football, which is a rough sport where tempers flare between players. The kid in question tore Krenzel's kid's helmet off, Krenzel saw it & ran out to break things up. I notice the man said, "we're not sure how the helmet came off". I'm pretty sure it didn't just pop off from a solid block. Since this happened to his own son, I would bet Krenzel may have torn into the kid more than if it was an unrelated player, but I would also bet money that this guy is looking for some attention, money, or both & is embellishing to the point of that what he's saying doesn't really resemble the events at hand. That would be my guess, but who knows - I wasn't there.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+3 HS
Kindell's picture

Hey my football coach when I was 8 did much worse than this to me.  He spent most of the practice dragging me around by my face mask telling me to man up.  No one was filing charges tho because he was my dad and that was normal.  It's amazing how things have changed, and I don't think it is for the better.

He still let's me have it when I need it 20 years later.  He also celebrated the most when I succeeded in sports and life.  I am thankful for everyone of those moments and I try to remember that and not baby my kids.  

This is a violent game and Krenzel understands that more than anyone. These coaches know these kids have to be in the right mindset, or they are going to get hurt.  I don't think this is about Craig's son.  I think it's more about being a football coach.

Rob Reese's picture

Same dad is probably going to file a complaint with the league when team A runs up the score on his son's team.  Sounds like the chess club might be a better alternative.

tOSU class of 2009, College of Arts and Sciences

+4 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

They actually keep score in a kids' sporting event nowadays?

kmp10's picture

I'm almost always the first guy saying football, which I played from age 10 through high school, provides a different environment than most other sports. It's a tough, aggressive, intimidating setting. It is not for the meek or the timid… but these are 8 year old kids we're talking about. The father making the accusation comes off as very believable, imo. He isn't ranting, demanding or out of control. He's confidently and articulately telling us what he saw. Of course, that doesn't mean Krenzel is guilty, but doing anything that approaches what this guy is saying happened during a football practice for 8 year olds is hard to understand. Krenzel, to me, comes off as arrogant on air. Maybe that's why I don't have to stretch too far in believing this guy's accusation. CK once told a story on air related to the 2002 national championship. He explained that 'men twice my age often come up to me and tell me that day (the title game) was one of the greatest days of their life'. He went on to say 'I'm thinking when I hear this that you haven't had a very interesting life'. He was talking down to everyone, as he tends to do on the radio, and implying that everyone needs to put football in perspective. Sounds like it's possible that he was ignoring his own advice if he's actually done what this man is accusing him of doing to his 8 year old son. Having said all of this, there are two sides to every story and if I were Krenzel and completely innocent I'd issue a statement telling anyone who'd listen that this father is wrong. I'd be very detailed and offer these "witness accounts" to back me up. 

-1 HS
Buckeye0905's picture

Being from Dublin, the dad is probably jealous of Krenzel's status and is trying to tarnish his image.

TURD_BUCKET's picture

There are times when parents act more like children than the kids do.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

Speaking of - where does the line form to knock off Bruce Wolfe's block? ;-)

robobuck's picture

Right behind Dante whitner

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Breaking News on ESPN:

"In our very brief non-SEC news segment, former Ohio State quarterback, Craig Krenzel, is under investigation for almost decapitating an 8 year old player at football practice. Krenzel lead the 2002 Buckeye squad that lucked it's way into a non-SEC title game, almost losing all 13 games along the way, and then barely winning the game on the most controversial call in the history of sports.  The call was WRONG and the Miami Hurricanes clearly won that game, being from the South and all.  It is the ONLY national championship that Ohio State has won in almost 50 years.  Of course, if they would have played an SEC team in 2002, we all know what would have happened, as the Buckeyes are 0-9 vs. the SEC in bowl games in the NCAA's official record books.  Let me say that again with the giant graphic at the bottom of the screen.  OSU is officially 0-9 vs. the SEC in bowl games.  A 1-loss Georgia team from the SEC should have played in that title game instead of the Buckeyes, but I digress.  We now take you to Kirk Herbstreit in his mansion in God's Country, Tennessee located within the SEC borders, to get his "over-exaggerated so as not to look biased" view on the situation.  Herbie..."

+4 HS
Fatpants's picture

Yeah, my o-line coach in high school carried an arrow (he also taught gym) and would crack you across the back of the legs if he thought your ass was too high while in your stance. He also pushed, smacked and yelled. I was personally called: dumbf$ck, lazy a$$, fat f&ck (I think force of habit, I wasn't really fat in hs), among other creative monikers. His other favorite thing was to tell guys to put a skirt on and go practice with the soccer team.

Man up kids.

+2 HS
kmp10's picture

This is, quite possibly, my personal favorite post ever on 11W. Without question, this is my favorite all time posted quote on this site:  "His other favorite thing was to tell guys to put a skirt on and go practice with the soccer team." 

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Thanks. It was great. All the practice fields were on the same side of the school so I'm sure the soccer team heard it at times. He made a big show of it too, with dramatic pauses and pointing at the soccer team while yelling.

Great guy and great motivator.

AndyVance's picture

He was clearly a bully, and you were scarred for life, even if you don't know it. Will no one think of the children???

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Indeed. I was so scarred I ran into the guy about three years ago and actually gave him a hug.

+1 HS
osu78's picture

Ah yes, the old soccer vs football thing. We had that too, but after  a little "friendly" game with a few of the big bad football players having hurt ankles from sliding tackles and shin bruises from ball steals they stopped playing us for fear they'd get injured and not be able to play football.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

The Rill Dill was your high school O-Line coach?

+2 HS
RubixTube's picture

Fav quote from my O-line coach in HS:  "What in the hell were you doing helping him up?!?!  It was 7 to nothin' at the time!  When it's 42 to nothin', help him up.  When it's 7 to nothin', step on him & get back to the huddle!!" - T.D.

+2 HS
robobuck's picture

I played football in middle school and soccer in high school. once the football team took our goals and threw them in a cornfield and broke them. they were in the multipurpose building during two-a-days and their helmets were lined up outside. we took a piss In every single one of them. we watched them come out and put them on :) they started complaining to the coach who called them pu$$I ed and made them do laps for 45 minutes in the august heat, a lot of the guys puked. It was glorious.

Fatpants's picture

Was it hard to aim while squatting over the helmets?

buckskin's picture

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Too many of our sports "incidents" are ending up in criminal investigations and not left on the field. Settle it on the field through post anger discussion and be a mature example for your boys. Everybody walks away a little wiser.

Mr. Bungle's picture

Football legend or not, you never put your hands on someone else's kid.  If the kid was in high school/college, it's a different story.  If my kid was in peewee football and a grown man put his hands on him without my permission, are you kidding me?  He'd have a serious problem.

-2 HS
AndyVance's picture

In general terms I hear what you're saying, but a football coach grabbing a kid by the shoulder pads is a totally different thing. Going all Papa Bear on a coach for grabbing a kid by the pads, especially if it was breaking up a fight, is just wrong (if that is what happened in this case).

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

When I was 12, my midget football coach threw me into a chain link fence during a blocking drill and split open my elbow.

BIG FRICKIN DEAL, DUDE. TIME TO GET PRINCESS OUT OF THE LEAGUE!

+1 HS
robobuck's picture

my football coach actually literally murdered half the JV squad. these wussies need To man up

+1 HS