Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Help picking an EPL team

psibuck's picture
August 19, 2014 at 3:36pm
97 Comments

Any Premier League fans here?  If so, how did you pick a team to follow?  I'm looking to follow it this year but haven't decided which team I like.  The only team I've heard anything about is Man United.  They seem like the NY Yankees to me....so they're out of the question. 

Squirrel Master's picture

this has nothing to do with Braxton Miller.

don't know how to respond...

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+19 HS
psibuck's picture

Yep...thought I'd change the subject.

+2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Good on ya. I can't look away, so I was needing something else to see.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Im a Liverpool fan, dont follow it too often though.  If you want to stay away from really high wage teams stay away from Man U, Chelsea, and Man City. Hope this helped a little bit.

Buckeye fan from PA

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Liverpool fan here. 

Originally took a liking to them when the home grown Steven Gerrard took the captaincy. Really enjoy their fan base, history, and tradition.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+4 HS
psibuck's picture

I think I'm leaning toward Liverpool. 

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Bad choice, you'd regret that decision.

-1 HS
psibuck's picture

Sounds like the rumblings of a budding rivalry.  

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Oh there's nothing budding about the rivalry between Man U and Liverpool, and I seldom ramble before I'm drunk.

Losing Suarez, and Gerrard being at the end of it. It's going to be a rough transition for them. Some of their signings may or may not work out well, but you cannot replace Stephen Gerrard or Luis Suarez. And you sure as hell can't do it quickly. Adam Lallana is not a name that strikes fear into the hearts of opponents.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Gosh I totally forgot that Daniel Sturridge notched 24 epl goals last year...2nd to only Suarez.

Yeah.. Let's make sure Van Gaal does marginally better for you fellas

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

And if you're counting on him doing that again without defenses literally pooping themselves over Suarez you're insane. And how did he do in the World Cup? He scored a goal because Rooney dropped an absolutely angelic pass on his foot that half the posters in this thread could have scored.

If you really believe in him filling the void then I'll have a few of what you're having, and then I might actually believe that Man U has a shot at winning the league this year.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Already notched a game winner for 3 pts last sunday. I'd rather talk about the present then speak in hypotheticals...

PittBuckeye's picture

I'm not sure what hypotheticals you're referring to, unless you meant the comment bat half the posters here. And I'll check back after the season.

osu07asu10's picture

Haha no need to get riled up Pitt.

Liverpool are the Cleveland Indians to your ManU NY Yankees...

How's that Chevy sponsorship working out?

PittBuckeye's picture

Well the jerseys are about the most hideous things in the world, but they made the Glazers a lot of money and that's really all they care about.

And you can't call Man U the Yankees with Man City around. And if anyone in the world is the Yankees of soccer it's PSG.

osu07asu10's picture

William's picture

Liverpool doesn't have the depth to win the league this year, and Man United are going to be absolute trash, they don't have a back four or a decent midfield. There are three realistic contenders for the league this year due to their depth: Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea. 

robobuck's picture

Huge Liverpool fan here!  I was living in Belfast and watched the 2006 FA cup final between Liverpool and West Ham.  Steven Gerrard was brilliant in that match and that is what made me a Liverpool fan to this day! You'll Never Walk Alone as a fan of the Reds! watch that match and try to not love them!  I know they're on a downtick but consider these other reasons to root for them:

1. The red color of their kit is almost identical to the buckeye scarlet
2. the Beatles are from Liverpool
3. Pink Floyd recorded their fans singing "youll never walk alone" and used it in one of their songs
4. Liverpool is an interesting and mysterious name

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
psibuck's picture

Ha!  Your first 2 items were the main reason for me picking Liverpool.  Did not know about #3 but very cool. 

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

And Lebron James owns part of Liverpool. That said they're still evil.

+1 HS
Jason Priestas's picture

I'm the most casual EPL fan you'll find, but I like Liverpool, too. The first time I saw YNWA, I knew I'd found my team.

PittBuckeye's picture

There are plenty of cool signs, hell Arsenal even has one, but I grew up on this crap. Hearing 50k chanting ooo ahh Cantona still gives me the chills.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Forget the pasty Brits and go with Celtic.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

sharks's picture

A Scottish team isn't in the English PL? Then I change my answer to Real Madrid

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

PittBuckeye's picture

I'll accept that answer.

flying-banana's picture

I've always supported Everton because they seem to have quite a few Americans on roster. I also support West Ham United because of the movie Green Street Hooligans.

+1 HS
LexingtonBuckeye's picture

Gotta love Big Tim Timmy Howard for Everton.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

This is kind of how I am... I don't really have a particular team I cheer for, but any team with Americans on it is easier to get behind.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
LexingtonBuckeye's picture

If you are looking for a club, Fulham has had a nice string of Americans on the team. Brian Mcbride of Columbus crew and the USMNT played and was a fan favorite over there. Same with Clint Dempsey. Just my two cents. I would stay away from teams near the bottom of the table (or projected to be) you don't want your new squad to get relegated!! that would be Bullocks.

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Solid bit of history (I'm a big Crew fan), but Fulham was relegated last year.

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

If you want a team to compare to the Yankees (buying your way up wise) it's Manchester City with Chelsea in a close second place. At this point Arsenal has been spending more than Man U. Manchester United got to where they are mostly because of an absolute legend of a coach, and the class of 92' (Google it if you don't know) mostly home grown talent that led to one of the greatest midfields ever assembled on a soccer field. Not at all the Yankees other than that they won a lot, in that way they are similar.

Full disclosure I'm a lifelong Man U fan ever since watching Peter Schmeichel, and Eric Cantona when I was a little kid. But they are actually one of the better teams to follow at the moment, everything is in flux at Man U right now. 1. New coach 2. lots of players will be on the way out and by the end of the January transfer window on the way in as well 3. They aren't as dominant as they have been, and will have to fight and win in different ways than they have to get back to the top. 

Other than the big boys Tottenham would be a decent team to follow, and Everton with Roberto Martinez has a chance to do very well as well.

The thing to keep in mind with the EPL is if you pick a team aside from Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal then you're never going to be cheering for the team that wins the league. Ever. And you can probably cross Liverpool and Arsenal off that list but there's a chance for them at least. Very few teams can financially afford to keep a player that teams like Madrid want to buy, even fewer have the panache to keep a player like that happy at their club. It is not a level playing field at all.

An example of this being Southampton, they had a lot of talent last year and had a decent season as far as Southampton goes, then bigger clubs came in and offered them amounts of money that they can't afford to turn down, and they'll likely end up relegated this year.

+2 HS
psibuck's picture

Solid breakdown. Tottenham is intriguing. 

Dweinz's picture

Tottenham did just sign the American youngster DeAndre Yedlin if that helps at all

+1 HS
kicks's picture

Manchester United

Deadly Nuts's picture

Everton. Tim Fucking Howard.

LEBRON

+1 HS
kicks's picture

The question is did you follow Everton before Tim Howard won the hearts of all Americans?

Deadly Nuts's picture

I started following them back in 2010 after South Africa.

LEBRON

+1 HS
kicks's picture

Plus one for you

Mizzillion's picture

Chelsea all the way.

+2 HS
NapervilleBuck's picture

Blue is the color, Football is the game......

Chelsea, Go You Blues!

+1 HS
psibuck's picture

I could never get behind the color blue. 

+2 HS
Right Again's picture

+1 for Chelsea.

They did some great business in the transfer market this summer (particularly picking up Fabregas and Costa) and look to have a really solid team!

Mizzillion's picture

...and Drogba is back, too!

+1 HS
beserkr29's picture

Picking an EPL team is one of those things that comes down to what fan you want to be. If you want to cheer for a winner, look at the top 6 teams from last year and go with one of them. Man U is a great club that is transitioning from the best coach they'be ever had and trying to get it right. Chelsea and Man City are probably the closest to the Yankees (in EPL terms) because they had little tradition until billionaire owners took over. Arsenal has a lot of tradition, but has dropped off considerably since the early 2000s. If you want to cheer for Americans, Tottenham and Everton routinely have the most in the EPL and rarely risk being relegated. Fulham, from above, is a Championship side this year, though they have a young American starter in midfield who many are excited about. Honestly, if you want to be engaged, picking an American laden team makes it easier. My recommendation would be Tottenham, since they mix success and rooting interest the most effectively. And they have a cool kit.

Jeeves's picture

Arsenal dropped off considerably? Champions League football 18 straight years and they just won the FA Cup. Sure there was a gap of trophyless years but they were building a massive new stadium with money from their own income and not some sugar daddy (Man City, Chelsea,ManU...). However I have to say to the op watch as many games as you can and give it time, if you are a front running glory hunting poser you'll opt for Manshittie or Chelski, a follow the crowd just want to be one of the boys, Manure, drink your first beer at 10AM then 'Pool,but if you are a man of discernment, integrity, wisdom and grace whom people look to hopefully in times of darkness then the choice is obviously the Arsenal Football Club and f### all the rest!

+3 HS
FunZone's picture

I used Bill Simmons'  article about picking an EPL team, FIFA 09 and which teams my friends didn't like to land on Newcastle.

Newcastle's supporters are rowdy and their accent is near incomprehensible. Unfortunately they signed a roster full of French players two years after I started following them but there's some flashy talent. 

I jumped (and stayed) on a two bandwagons in other sports when I was a little kid but still felt too dirty to support the Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I asked Braxton how his knee was before halftime at Berkeley and he said, "What up, man."

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

Good recommendation on that article. I wasnt aware Arsenal's famous fans were bin Laden, John Gotti, and Fidel Castro.

Part 1

Part 2

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

+1 HS
FunZone's picture

Precisely why one should do his research first!

I asked Braxton how his knee was before halftime at Berkeley and he said, "What up, man."

Jeeves's picture

But having Gollum, Mick Jagger and the Only Gay in the Village as Arsenal fans balances that out.

Squirrel Master's picture

who doesn't like the Spurs after the last coach.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

He's back this year as a broadcaster....

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

The reason I am a Spurs fan is that I grew up in a Cleveland suburb neighboring the one goalkeeper Brad Friedel played for in High School. We graduated the same year.

Also, all of the streets in my housing development all have U.K. names  The street my house is on is named after the Spurs.

NapervilleBuck's picture

Bay Village, proud alum and Chelsea fan here.

Love Friedel but his expression was priceless when Chelsea won the Champions League and knocked Tottenham out of the next years competition as a result (Tottenham finished 4th in BPL but bumped due to CL champ getting auto bid for next season).  Priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcWTf3QVmvs

KeithMC33's picture

I have always been an Arsenal fan, going back to the days of Dennis Bergkamp. To be honest i am not sure why i started liking them, but I do know that at the time soccer was rarely on tv here in the states. The few times i was able to catch a game it seemed like Arsenal was on, then i remember seeing Bergkamp on when the Netherlands played in the World Cup. 

Now, watching Arsenal can be extremely frustrating, but i am also a Clevelander so frustration and sports go hand in hand. 

+3 HS
Nappy's picture

Arsenal for no particular reason other than Arsenal sounds cool.  Plus I always figured if I wanted to go to an EPL match I'd go to one in London which is where Arsenal plays. 

Fan of bacon since 1981

+1 HS
lljjgg's picture

I was a Tottenham fan for a few years there whilst cheering on my favorite player (Gareth Bale). He's with Real Madrid now, though. Arsenal has some really interesting pieces right now. Liverpool was poised to really make a run the next couple of years before losing Luis Suarez to FC Barcelona.

That's the thing about the BPL as of the last few years: they have tremendous talent, until Real Madrid and FC Barcelona come calling. Man U, Man City and Chelsea almost always field a really (expensive) talented team, however. They are pretty consistently talented. The next level teams (Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham) ebb and flow a bit in regards to the level of talent on their rosters at any one time. I will say, this year's Man U team looks to be one of the least talented they've had (still incredibly talented by anyone else's standards) in the last several years.

UFest57's picture

Aresnal 'til I die!

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I just found some buddies around and jumped on the bandwagon. It's better to watch the games with people when you all have the same rooting interest. 

+1 HS
William's picture

I've been an Arsenal fan since 2003. My dad was doing some training with the SAS over in the UK, and one of their officers gave him an Arsenal jersey, which he gave to me when he came back, and I've been a fan ever since. It just so happened that the following season was the one in which Arsenal went undefeated, and that team was nicknamed "The Invincibles", so I had a pretty good start to my Arsenal fandom. 

Oldschoolbuck's picture

SAS, huh, William? Was your dad in JSOC?

45OH4IO's picture

I've been doing the same thing and I did some research into the towns and places where these teams come from. I've decided to root for two teams: an underdog b/c who doesn't like an underdog, and one of the two teams from Liverpool. The reason I like Liverpool is that it is like a little America. The town is a melting pot of cultures and races and seems to be a pretty sweet place to live with some awesome history.

The underdog I like so far is Leicester City (spelling?). They're nicknamed "The Foxes" and they are scrappy!

+1 HS
ponder10's picture

Cant go wrong with Tottenham as Coach Lasso said their logo is a Cock on a Ball.

I also have had trouble picking a team but I watch a ton of games. It's hard to root for Man City, United, or Chelsea. I find myself pulling for Tottenham, Everton (because of Tim Howard), and Arsenal (just because I like the nickname gunners) but it is definitely something I have not developed a lot of passion for so it I havent "picked" yet.

For La Liga I like Real Madrid just because I loved the city of Madrid and was there when Spain celebrated their Euro 2012 win. My wife is from Colombia and now that they have James Rodriguez that has solified my pulling for them but I do have a bit of a conflict because I hate that they are like the Yankees of soccer.

“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.” ~ Baba Dioum

ponder10's picture

If you like the Beatles you should root for Liverpool or Everton.

If you like the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd you might want to root for one of the London clubs (Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham Utd, Fullam or Crystal Palace).

If you like Ed Sheeran or Oasis you might want to pick Man City or Man Utd.

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

You know the jackass down the street who started wearing a Red Sox hat after they won the World Series? That's you if you start pulling for Chelsea or Man City.  You know the other guy who always used to brag about what a big Yankees fan he was even though he'd never been to NYC? You notice how he wears that hat a little less lately? That's you if you start supporting Man U. Of the big teams, that is the four, maybe five teams that have a chance of actually ever winning the EPL, Liverpool is the most respectable choice. They also have a fun team to watch even with Suarez gone this season. Personally, I just enjoy watching the games, and usually root for the underdog. Go Wigan!!!

+2 HS
Jeeves's picture

I wanted to upvote this so much but you disrespected the Arsenal, "by far the greatest team the world has ever seen!"

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

No love for Swansea? You guys all suck. They're Welsh!

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
beserkr29's picture

Oh good, I took back my dv. Forza Swansea! Got some sweet Swans swag recently. Unfortunately, they're very limited. Great club though. Just need adidas to step up the merchandising game.

Whoa Nellie's picture

Just read "Red or Dead".  Interesting book about Bill Shankly, Anfield, the Spion Kop, and how "You'll Never Walk Alone".  Interesting history of the Liverpool F.C.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

only 1 christian benteke

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

DCBuckeye33's picture

You should pick Man City, they will win the league every other year and always play an entertaining style of soccer.

GO BUCKS

PittBuckeye's picture

If by always you mean since a shiekh decided he wanted a new toy and spent an ungodly amount of money to buy anyone he could then sure I'll go with that. Also Toure and Silva are really the only 2 entertaining guys they have.

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

Eh, healthy Aguero is really fun to watch, pushing the back 4 of opponents back, making solid runs, scoring great goals, etc. Toure is entertaining in spurts, but when he is not into the game, he is pretty awful to watch actually. He scored some nice goals last season and can boss a game from the midfield, but he can also disappear just as easily. Silva is the best player on the team

Also, I meant always as in moving forward, so yes since Mansour bought the team. The guy was asking to pick a team to watch moving forward, which moving forward City will always be entertaining.

GO BUCKS

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

Unless you supported the sky blues for years while watching the red side of Manchester get all the glory you should not support Shitty. 

DCBuckeye33's picture

Oh I don't disagree, I just was telling the original poster that a safe bet to always be in contention right now seems to be City, and they play a style of soccer that is fun to watch. They play to score and that lends them to concede a few as well. But yes, youd be the worst bandwagoner there is to jump on now.

GO BUCKS

PittBuckeye's picture

That's fair enough, and Toure to me is the biggest x-factor for them because you're right when he's into the game he's as dynamic of a player as there is possibly in the whole world. He does some magical things. I've never been huge on Aguero, but I get that a lot of people are, he just seems to fade into the background way too much for me. And although he was obviously banged up, the World Cup was a huge letdown.

And I'm just bitter because I hate watching City do well, better than Pool winning anything though. So I blame the Sheik for everything.

DCBuckeye33's picture

I am huge Aguero fanboy, so I must admit that first. But when healthy, hes the third best player in the world in my mind. Obviously it hurts that his muscles seem to tear anytime he simply jogs, but when hes out there his score rate is insane. His assist numbers on a per minute basis are also very strong. He was dreadful in the WC since he was hurt, and that's his biggest issue. If City got a full EPL slate out of him (say 30 or so starts with a couple sub ons) I have no doubt he could be a 30+ goal scorer. Its just he will never be able to do that sadly.

GO BUCKS

DJ Byrnes's picture

dont roll man u, city, chelsea, arsenal liverpool

roll aston villa

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

psibuck's picture

After careful consideration (read: scanning wikipedia pages), I've decided that I'm officially a Liverpool F.C. supporter.  Go Reds!  

(I really don't like walking alone, also) 

+2 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

The Kop!  The Kop!  The Kop!

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

This should have been an article from you, DJ! C'mon, man...

William's picture

If you're rooting for anyone other than Le Prof and Arsenal, you're doing it wrong. Chelsea is owned by a Russian oligarch, Man City is owned by an oil sheikh sugar daddy, and Man United by the idiotic Glazer family. Arsenal, unlike the 4 other members of the Big 5 (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United and now Man City) has always maintained a fiscally responsible policy towards managing the club, unlike other clubs, which often try to make it rain during transfer windows. Arsenal ended its ~9 year trophy drought this past year by winning the FA Cup, after having enforced fiscal austerity on itself to pay for its new stadium in North London. In an era of sports teams fucking over cities by having them foot the bill for stadiums, it's pretty noble of a franchise to not only pay off its own debts, but also ensure that it doesn't incur any further ones (looking at you Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco, Man City). 

Also for the love of all that is holy, don't root for Tottenham, they blows ass-chunks and will always disappoint, it's really a shame that they signed Yedlin. They will always be 3rd best in London. 

+2 HS
1MechEng's picture

Also for the love of all that is holy, don't root for Tottenham, they blows ass-chunks and will always disappoint, it's really a shame that they signed Yedlin. They will always be 3rd best in London.

How do you really feel about the Spurs?! LOL!

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

You could have just said "I am an arsenal fan, so join us" and the rest would have been implied.

GO BUCKS

+1 HS
MITCH-A-PALOOZA's picture

Went through this a few years ago... landed on Stoke City simply cause their name/color scheme is legit. It's become more than that and I now love that team. Highest finish ever for them in the EPL last year (granted it was 9th). Bad start to the year against Villa, but they are on the up and up. Plus, since they're not a traditional top club, it makes their wins that much more exciting... (for example: beating Chelsea and ManU last year)

William's picture

So you root for a bunch of leg-breaking cavemen? If there's a team I despise more than Tottenham, it's Stoke, consistently one of the dirtiest teams in the EPL.  

-1 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Arsenal.

Wenger's a good manager; they have the requisite international talent; it may be their year to rise back to the top of the EPL. (Man Utd. - too easy, like rooting for Yankees.)

+1 HS
Buckeyebrowny919's picture

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE! and the reason was back when I was in high school and saw the movie Formula 51 with Samuel L Jackson... True story. The movie that made me really start to focus even more on EPL was the movie Green Street Hooligans which really showed how serious they take their soccer (I'm American.... it is fackin called soccer)

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

BuckeyeMark's picture

I'm with Arsenal.  They have a CANNON as their logo (because they used to be the company team for a cannon maker) and their nickname is "The Gunners."  What else is there?

Jackets203's picture

Arsenal fan is the way to go! I started rooting for arsenal when Thierry Henry was there and was ridiculously good. I also went to England to play some soccer and we toured Highbury before it was torn down. I also like arsenal because they don't go out and spend crazy money on players. Arsene Wenger gets a lot of young players and coaches them up. They are just now started to spend some money so they can compete with ManU, city and Chelsea. But pick who you will like, but as someone said the EPL is not like American sports only the top 6 clubs have any shot at winning ever so unless you want to root for a team who never has a shot a titles pick the top clubs, their gear is much more accessible also. Soccer.com is a good site to go for soccer gear. This is Arsenals year!!

William's picture

Arsenal also play some pretty beautiful soccer:  

DCBuckeye33's picture

a lot of people played beautiful soccer against Norwich last season

GO BUCKS

KB3RG's picture

I am a Liverpool fan. Another benefit for them is they are in the process of getting Mario Balotelli.

Liverpool has a very rich history. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730685/Liverpool-agree-16m-fee-Mario-Balotelli-AC-Milan-striker-prepares-Premier-League-return.html

DCBuckeye33's picture

There are not many people in soccer as interesting as Mario Balotelli. I am huge fan od his from his city days (which feel a lot longer ago than they are) and when he is invested, he is very talented. Would be a nice pick up for pool.

GO BUCKS

jamesrbrown322's picture

I have always loved Arsenal. Because when I was a kid, how could I not root for a team named Arsenal?!? Plus, I grew up playing FIFA, and loved Bergkamp, Henry, and even guys like Ashley Cole and, of course, David Seaman.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes