Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Johnny Football Flips Off Washington Bench

jeremytwoface's picture
August 19, 2014 at 9:00am
44 Comments

Johnny threw the backwards bird at the Redskins bench after a play yesterday (around the 1:00 mark of the video).

To me, this is unacceptable. If you're a QB in the NFL, you're going to be heckled by the other team. If you're a rookie quarterback, you're going to get heckled even more. If you're a rookie named Johnny Manziel, you're going to get heckled the most.

You can't let it get to you... or you at least can't show that it's getting to you.

If the competition were to end today, I would have to go with Hoyer. Neither one of them looked great but Hoyer at least has a lot of experience in the NFL.

osu07asu10's picture

To me, this is unacceptable. If you're a QB in the NFL, you're going to be heckled by the other team. If you're a rookie quarterback, you're going to get heckled even more. If you're a rookie named Johnny Manziel, you're going to get heckled the most.

So it is wrong of him to stand up for himself and play with some fire and passion? I agree, not his best move but as a long suffering Browns fan I love seeing that passion and fire from our QB. If it leads to him getting his head ripped off by an opposing defense, so be it.

I guess we should probably disassociate with AJ Hawk then...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+6 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I'm not saying we should disassociate with anyone... I'm saying it shouldn't happen on the football field in front of tens of thousands of fans and millions watching on TV. Especially if you are the QB of the team. QBs have to be more composed than probably anyone else on the field. 

Passion and fire is one thing. Using obscene gestures while the eyes of millions are on you is another. That goes for AJ Hawk as well.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Pretty sure we were all ok with Marcus Hall letting Ann Arbor know where she stands with us...

I get what you're saying JTF, and I do agree it isn't a good look and not something someone vying for a starting spot as a rookie should do.
However, it is sports and a middle finger is far from vulgar or obscene anymore. I think like a lot of things JFF, people are trying to make something out of nothing. It happens quite a bit.

+10 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Flipping off Ann is always acceptable.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Shes such a whore..so who cares

UFM_Renewal

+3 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

Pictures say a 1000 words,  but the I'm guessing this says a couple more

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

HOW MANY WORDS DOES A GIF SAY!?

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

jeremytwoface's picture

Depends how many frames it is....

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

braneli's picture

I agree. Although, I can't help but get a Happy Gilmore type of feel from him... Though, he's yet to show he's that much of a game changer in the NFL.

But I do have hope. A little feistiness, with consistent showings of pure talent — then I can accept the antics, I suppose, but only then.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

e135800's picture

But he's selling jerseys and that's all that the owners are worried about.  Another classic/epic cleveland qb draft failure. 

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

2 games into the preseason, bud. Cool your jets.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Meh, I was more disappointed from the drops by WRs. The QBs didn't look great but when its there got to hold on. The D looks good though.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

...and it's only the preseason.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I guess it doesn't bother me.  It's probably not half as bad as what is said verbally to each other down on the field...

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Earle's picture

Let's hope he gives us something to talk about regarding his play sometime soon.

Italics are for emphasis.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He was just showing how many wins the Browns would have this year.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

I thought he was signalling in which round the Browns would draft another QB next year.

+2 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

I will admit, I was not thrilled with the Pick the Browns made to get Manziel. personally, I do not think he is going to have the stellar career that so many think he will have. It is just a gut feeling from so many QB failures during my life as a Browns fan. I hope I am wrong and I will be so happy to be wrong, but I just do not know anymore. So many Qb's have come and gone, I just don't know.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

sharks's picture

He's not ready to start from a physical or mental standpoint. Crown Hoyer, give Johnny the clipboard, and let ESPN find some new nonstory

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

InvertMyVeer's picture

Deadspin caught the moment the Browns PR guy informed Johnny that cameras had caught him - http://deadspin.com/looks-like-johnny-manziel-just-found-out-everyone-sa...

Football is complicated...

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

hahaha that is excellent.

+1 HS
buckeyebfd's picture

With everything he's done since winning the Heisman I must say

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

Does this honestly surprise anyone?  If you say yes, we are changing your screen name to PollyAnna.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

FunZone's picture

Per Deadspin, Johnny's agent was attempting some damage control after Johnny had admitted to the fact...

I asked Braxton how his knee was before halftime at Berkeley and he said, "What up, man."

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Some people should not try to do sarcasm.

FunZone's picture

If you're referring to me, I'm still wagering his agent wouldn't be sarcastic. But it's a fair point to think a joke could have gone over my head when I read it earlier this morning

I asked Braxton how his knee was before halftime at Berkeley and he said, "What up, man."

Earle's picture

Directed at his agent, not you.  If that wasn't sarcasm from his agent, it is the absolute worst spin job ever.  Then again, it may be a mistake on my part to credit an agent with that degree of social awareness.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Since one can't use italics on Twitter, maybe he should have used dots.

+2 HS
Oyster's picture

YES!!!

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+1 HS
southbay's picture

If it's ok for Marcus Hall then why isn't it ok for Manziel?  Just askin'.

BTW anyone see Connor Shaw play late in the game?

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Because Michigan.

+3 HS
TallyBuckeye's picture

Problem I have is that Hoyer is leaving plays on the field & just not closing the deal. Johnny Football will be the starter (birds & all)

TallyBuckeye

Jeeves's picture

Yes, if there is nothing to differentiate the two the Browns may as well go with Manziel for the year and see what he has. This team will be drafting top 5 again next year so if Johnny doesn't look promising try again (sigh). For the record I wanted Watkins, Hyde and Garoppolo with the first 3 picks and am no fan of the JM pick.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Call it a gut feeling, but I don't think this Manziel experiment is going to work out for the Clowns.

Class of 2010.

-1 HS
Citrus's picture

The passing game looked awful but fixable. Timing was just off. Someone needs to take all the first team reps. As for the bird, I'd probably hate JFF if he were on another team but I am glad the Browns are aging a bit of swagger. We hear guys drop the F bomb all the time. Whats the difference with using sign language? 

BucksFan2000's picture

Yesterday was not a great day for QB's in Ohio.

NW Buckeye's picture

And, it's only costing him 10k for this bird flip.  Any over/under on what the next one will cost?

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

If Johnny Football didn't want to be heckled by opposing teams, he shouldn't have behaved the way he did off the field the last two years.  Now the pressure is obviously getting to him and he doesn't seem to be able to handle it.  

-2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Who the hell cares? The middle finger isn't even blurred on TV anymore. If any cameraman wanted to, he could catch dozens of players on the field yelling as obscene/more obscene things than what the middle finger means. Hell, does anyone even give the bird as a sign of anger? I give the bird to my immediate family all the time, it's a playful sign of endearment or joking around. If anything, this thread shows it depends entirely on who did it.

southbay's picture

Whenever I'm driving in my car I always flip the bird to anyone who cuts me off or drives too slowly in front of me. Folks really appreciate seeing a playful sign of endearment out on the road.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

My rant/take on the Cleveland Browns and Johnny Manziel...

I didn't want Manziel - I thought he was an overrated college QB who was too small for the NFL. Then after his last college season, he turned me into a believer and I got caught up in all the 'Johnny Mania'. After how he partied all preseason (I know... nothing different than he ever did before)... after seeing just how small he truly is out there... after seeing how he's letting people get into his head (which clearly the middle-finger gesture illustrates)... I'm already ready to say that Johnny WON'T be 'the guy'. I think the BIGGER problem is... after this preseason, I'm already convinced that Mike Pettine isn't the guy either (and you can't have a QB guy if you don't have a Head Coach guy). I think Pettine has handled this whole QB situation poorly. He should have came out IMMEDIATELY and declared Hoyer (or Manziel) the starter, and it would have put all of this shenanigans to bed ages ago. Instead, he fostered this maelstrom by perpetuating a QB competition; and all that's given us is not one but TWO unprepared quarterbacks. I'm sorry, but as an NFL QB, you can't be 'splitting the snaps', especially when you're as inexperienced as both of these two knuckleheads are. I think Pettine should have come out right away and declared Hoyer as the starter. Sit Johnny... let Johnny watch/develop. Johnny didn't have to be opening day starter, as the Browns weren't going anywhere this season (8-8 at BEST). If things started sinking with Hoyer, then Pettine could have brought Manziel in during the season. But it's obvious that Manziel is the QB of the future (for better or for worse), and if you start Manziel Game 1, then you've essentially ended Hoyer's career as a Brown, because there's NO WAY you can go BACK to Hoyer if Manziel struggles. Manziel's the future; not Hoyer.

So... while I think Johnny is part of the problem, I guess what I'm really trying to say is I think Mike Pettine has been the BIGGER part of the problem... and as a Browns fan, it pains me to say/come-to-that-realization because that just means that the Browns are AT LEAST another 3-5 years away from making the Playoffs (as I don't believe they can do it under Pettine if Pettine isn't "the guy", and you have to figure any new Head Coach that takes over is going to 'start from scratch' and have to rebuild - which essentially is another year or two). None of this should come as a surprise tho... I mean, let's remember... Pettine WAS the Browns, what, 5th choice?!

Smh...

southbay's picture

Not that I always agree with Cowherd, but he really ripped into Manziel this morning. "Might win a few games"..."Can't grow up"..."addicted to stupidity". Strong words even from Cowherd, perhaps.