Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

WaPo ranks "Best Beer in Baseball". Ohio kicks ASS!

AngryWoody's picture
August 10, 2014 at 12:01am
25 Comments

The Washington Post ran a story ranking "The Best Beer in Baseball". To anyone who lives in Ohio, it probably came as no surprise that that the two Ohio teams came in 2nd and 3rd nationally (only behind Seattle) in stadium beer selection. Whether it's Great Lakes Brewing Co. (Elliot Ness is my personal favorite) in Cleveland or Christian Moerlein in Cincinnati (Over-The-Rhine is a personal favorite), Ohio has some kick ass beers (Including multiple "World Class" ranked beers from BeerAdvocate.com). Oh, and for all of you Yankee haters, they ranked 30 out of 30 in the MLB for beer rankings. Check out the story and give it a read if you get the time.

WE BE MAKIN BERR YO

I guess I wasn't surprised in these rankings considering all of the great breweries out here. What are some of your favorite local brews that you would like to recommend to your fellow 11Wers?

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

That Great Lakes Christmas Ale... 

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+11 HS
robobuck's picture

Dude!! Yes!! So good...

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for posting Woody - There are Mega Micro-Brews out here with very unique tastes. I miss my favorite beer from Great Lakes however these are two of my new favorites.

A British Columbia Beer

+1 HS
robobuck's picture

Oh my, never thought I'd see that bottle on here :) Kokanee is western Canada's natty lite. Alexander Keith's is pretty good tho.

By the way, are you from out there? Just curious as to how you know kokanee. I ran into it when working on a ranch in western Alberta a couple hours north of glacier national park.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  1 Corinthians 9:24

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

From Cleveland but my wife and I met years ago after I graduated and took my first job out here. Moved across the country and wound up here in the Seattle area. I know I still have one foot firmly planted in the State of Ohio. 

robobuck's picture

Been to Seattle a handful of.time s. Loved it. Ever hit up the stumbling monk?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not yet but I saw it on-line and I should probably add it to my bucket list

+1 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

Summerfest is really good and is a perfect beer to introduce to someone who hasn't had or isn't into drinking craft beers.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

brandonbauer87's picture

Two Hearted Ale at Great American? Time to take in a Reds game. 

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

One could argue that a beer that is not served is no good.  I favor the parks that still serve beyond the 7th inning..no matter the flavor.  My last two games have been somewhat a disappointment in that category.  Cubs - they cut off after the 6th.  And last night, went to my first Angles game this season, cutoff after the 7.  (It used to be after the 8th inning)

DannyBeane's picture

Oh how I love Great Lakes Brewing, Their Elliot Ness, Dortmunder Gold and then their Oktoberfest in that order. Delicious.

+3 HS
VarsityClubMD's picture

I love Dortmunder Gold because I find that it bears a strong resemblance to Hoster's Gold Top. Of which I consumed hectoliters in the early 1990s.

Dot this

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Upvote for the excellent use of hectoliters.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
robobuck's picture

If you haven't had prima pils, or a dead guy...get one

GreatLakesMike's picture

I pretty much love the entire Great Lakes line. I used to be an ale guy but my tastes have switched more to lagers nowadays. 

And yeah, how in the hell does the 1 trillion dollar little league park in New York NOT serve a few great beers? 

+1 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Fat Head's Headhunter is fantastic.  As is Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster.  Double IPAs are the best.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

What's even better about games at the Jake is that you can get tickets for as cheap as $6 for bleachers.

buckeyebfd's picture

The bar on the third base side on the main concourse at GABP is great. One side has usually short to no lines,  the big beers and the other side has mostly micro brews and always has a line.  I always get something local when I go to a game. Preferably something from MadTree or the occasional Mt Carmel.

GreatLakesBeer's picture

I'm just not really a beer guy ...........

If you will it dude, it is no dream

+4 HS
toad1204's picture

Reds completed list, I think its $9 for a 12oz and $13 for a 16oz

http://www.redreporter.com/2014/4/10/5594304/craft-beer-at-great-america...

Personally, I'm a flask carrying Reds fan.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS

I'd much rather have a $9 anything on that list than a $7-8 Bud Light.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Two Brothers in Illinois is a pretty good brewery.  I would suggest Sidekick or Outlaw as pale ales/ IPAs, and the Domaine Dupage is an excellent French Country Style Ale - very flavorful and easy to drink. (Great taste and less filling, right.)

Here is a list of the best breweries in Ohio.  Unfortunately, I've only had five of the ten.  Guess I'll have to jump into Jungle Jim's the next time I'm in Cincinnati.  https://impulcity.com/articles/the-best-breweries-in-ohio-ranked

Fly Patterns's picture

I read recently about beer at the jake being good. Good to see that.
The beer selection at Coors Field stinks.  Which is both not surprising and quite a shame.  Not surprising because Coors has the namings rights to the darn field.  A shame because Colorado is the best state in the Union by far for craft breweries.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

Tater_Schroeder's picture

I think I could go for a PBR right now.

How Firm Thy Friendship